Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can anyone help me?

bo_pow

hi

I've got a fender jazz bass and just put some new heavy strings on it.

When ever I play the A string open, I get this really annoying buzzing sound. I've tried lowering the action a bit but it still does it and now the high frets sound terrible. :confused:

I think there might be something wrong with the bridge?

plaese help.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

either the string is hitting something or some loose part is causing the buzz. are all the ends of your strings (at the nut) woven around the nuts? no loose parts sticking out? sometimes these ends can cause a buzz. no loose screws anywhere? can you locate the buzz? body? head? neck? bridge? why did you lower the action? maybe you had to make it higher so as to get less friction with the frets?

someone posted a link for setting up your bass a while ago > here

try it. maybe it helps?

Your main areas to check are the bridge(try adjusting the saddles, the nut(requires a pro most likely, or the same gauge of string you used before, and the tuners and frets.

I would check the bass' specs, some basses are only setup for a certain guage of string.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

I just read an interesting article in BP's archives about the "proper" way to put on strings. One thing they mentioned was to make sure you have enough wrappings around the peg and that they all go UNDER the previous wrappings to keep the string low in relationship to the nut. But you (and everyone else) probably already know that.

Originally posted by bo_pow:

hi

I've got a fender jazz bass and just put some new heavy strings on it.

When ever I play the A string open, I get this really annoying buzzing sound. I've tried lowering the action a bit but it still does it and now the high frets sound terrible. :confused:

I think there might be something wrong with the bridge?

plaese help.

Umm, usually you'd raise the action if you have fret buzz.

Lowering the strings isn't going to help.

My guess is that the sound is coming from the nut.

(No insult intended. :D ) (I mean the part on your bass)

Push down on the string at the nut with your left hand while playing the open string and see if this solves the problem.

To solve it, try taking a tiny bit of paper and putting it under the string in the nut slot.

Sometimes the way you put the string on can cause this problem. There should be a few windings around the post and they should be going down the post from top to bottom. This makes for a better angle as the string crosses the nut and goes to the peg.

On a Fender-style bass, this is actually the result of a design flaw and is always more of a problem on the A string.

hi guys thanks for all the suggestions,

the buzz seems to coming from the bridge (the bit the string rests on before it goes onto the nut?? (is that the bridge?)) and it goes away when I put my finger over the top. I've tried winding it on as low as possible but either Im not doing it well enough or it's something else :(

I'll try what you's suggested

thanks again.

Umm, I suggest you take your bass to a tech.

The tuner is what the string winds on - it has a tuning key that winds the tuning peg. Tuners are (generally) on the headstock of a bass.

The nut is what the strings rest on near the headstock (close to the tuners).

The bridge is (generally) down near the pickups and strap button of your bass. You (generally) load the strings through the bridge, on to the bridge saddles, over the nut, and in to the tuning pegs.

I agree that you should take your bass to be set up, but you should also tell the person you ask to set it up to show you how it's done. It's not that hard, and it's worth learning. Any shop that gives you attitude when you make this request is a shop that doesn't deserve your money. You could also ask an experienced player for help (but ask them in Real Life, not the Interweb, because you need someone to SHOW you what a nut is and SHOW you what raising and lowering action do).

Ah OK,

yeh sorry. The buzz is coming from the nut

I've put 50's on it basically just to get more control over the sound. It felt a bit weird at first but I really like it now (apart from the

obvious open A)

I think I probably will take it to tech, it does seem to cost quite a bit though. Not sure how easy itll be to get them to let me look over there shoulder while theyre doing it though.

It is something I really want to learn about, Ill phone around any one know anywhere good in Manchester UK??

Archived