Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which oil and/or cleaning products do you use?

tarkus

I've tried lots of stuff and came to the conclusion that less is more. Martin guitar polish used to be my favorte.

I now use very sparing amounts of Lemon-oil or Olde English (go light with this stuff!).

On my frets and the machines and saddle parts, I use a tiny bit of gun-oil. TINY!

Is there anything out there the LD's reccomend?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i use something called fretboard honey. it's a proprietary blend of oils. i like the results quite a bit. i probably change strings once every few months, and since i'm not gigging right now, the fretboard needs no attention. i typically prefer an old cotton t-shirt, some breath condensation, and elbow grease to shine up the body.

robb.

I went all-out and got the Dunlop system 65 kit. It's worked well on my guitars but I haven't subjected my bass to it yet. Especially worried about tearing up the "dabber" on the string-cleaner bottle on my round-wounds.

The fretboard cleaner is pretty impressive, even on a guitar I inherited that hasn't been cleaned in probably over 50 years. The fret cleaning cloth is basically a really really really fine grade sandpaper, but puts the shine back on well enough. After cleaning, the fretboard gets a light oiling. The body cleaner is supposed to remove oils from your hands; seems to work gently enough. The carnuba wax puts a nice shine back on the body after cleaning. Includes two soft yellow cloths (those yellow ones).

All in all, I've been happy with this (more expensive) solution so far.

Reason for the gun-oil:

I play many outdoor gigs and I live near the Ocean. A few instruments I had developed bad corrosion on those tiny saddle screws. An old P-bass I had became very rusty at the saddle and the brass nut turned green.

After trying guitar oils with mixed results, I used gun oil, a toothpick as an applicator to lube the saddle screws. It works well but it may discolor or smudge the finish on the the bass. Also - the tiny bit of gun oil cleared the grunge on my frets. It leaves a protective coat as well as a nice shine.

I like the carnuba Idea for my Fender.

The fender guitar cloth is ok. An old T-shirt is usually the best thing for me. Anything lint or pull free. I don't use the wood oil cloth for the metal stuff, and visa versa.

Archived