Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Somebody get me some Bean-O!

Gruuve

Gassity gas gas gas...

I have acquired not one...no...two new bass instruments within the past week...somebody stop me!

And worse yet, one is a color I really don't like (at least not nowadays anyway), so I was thinking of stripping it and giving it a natural wood finish, when lo and behold, the exact same instrument in the finish I actually was looking for has appeared to me. If all goes according to plan I shall snag this 3rd bass instrument and sell the one that is the undesirable (for me) color. Alas, that only leaves me with two, but that's the breaks. The other entirely different bass instrument will be considerably controversial I'm sure, but it's the right choice for my current needs and area of interest.

So what exactly did I get? Well, you're just going to have to wait until I actually receive them and post pics...and I'll probably post sound files as well, as I've been known to do that kind of thing.

Pffffffft! :thu:

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey gang! Look! It's the east-of-the-Mississippi version of SteveC! (Or, depending on what the basses were, the south-of-the-Mason-Dixon version of PJR.) :D

Yup, time to ship a case of Bean-O to the Sisk residence in NC. Unfortunately, I don't think that it will help. :eek:

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

OK, I just got the first of my two new toys...er...uh...tools. Here it is, in all it's glory: a quite used Hohner Jack V 5-string bass. This is a neck-through design, headless w/Steinberger bridge, passive EMG pups with an active preamp (that can be switched off). That all sounds impressive, doesn't it? :freak: You can't tell in the pics, but this is actually a fixer-upper that I got for a very good price. (I actually didn't even know it was coming with it's own custom hard-case...bonus!) The body is somewhat dinged up (and that really shows when wearing black), so I intend to strip the black finish off and give it a natural wood finish. Also, there's some pops and scratches from the input jack and volume knobs...that'll need a little attention. I *think* I like how it sounds...I've got to actually play it a little while and make sure. If I decide I really don't like how it sounds or plays, I suppose I'd just fix the electronics and resell it. Or maybe it'll become a true project bass? Anyway, it's very light-weight and well-balanced, which is very nice.

I've still got the first bass I ever owned, a somewhat beat up Yamaha BB300 4-string. I've decided to sell it (I never play it, and I'm sure someone else would like it to learn on and play for this first several years as a bassist...it's a great playing and good sounding bass!), so if this Hohner just turns out good enough to act as a backup 5-string, then I think I'll be quite happy with it.

This sucker's intonation is way, WAY out...gotta go work on fixing that.

UPDATE: I worked for about an hour and a half, and finally got the intonation almost completely right on. Man, that Steinberger bridge is a real PITA to set intonation. You loosen a hex screw on the side of the bridge so the rectangular saddles will move, then you move then by hand into the right position. Very unlike saddles that have a screw down the middle to position them...with this Steinberger setup, you can easily move the one you just positioned, the only thing that keeps it in place is the string tension...what were they thinking when they designed this? :freak: More fun to come I'm sure.

I like how this guy sounds, I think. Not nearly as much as I like the Musicman, but probably about as much as I like the Dean fretless. It's got a very mid-rangey kind of character to it, doesn't growl like the MM. The fret noise on this sounds a little "clanky" versus the MM where the fret noise becomes "grind". The passive pickups/active preamp are interesting. It actually sounds a little more raw and edgy with the preamp powered off...it sounds more smooth with the preamp powered on (there's a little switch to turn it off/on). The low and high tone knobs only work if the preamp is powered on. I'm wondering what switching out the pickups and/or onboard preamp for something else might do to the sound? Anyway, it's got a very different vibe than the MM does. I thought the neck on the MM was somewhat thick, but the neck on this Hohner is much chunkier...now the MM feels thin to me! Variety is indeed the spice of life. I'm really like how well it's balanced, and tuning with the right hand is way cool!

UPDATE 2: I played this guy this morning at a volume where I can feel the love. I believe the more I play it the more I'm liking it. :love:

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Nice piece!

I have the same bass only it says Cort on it and it is a 4 string which means it doesn't get played any more.

Congrats!

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I got my other new toy today...see the thread called "What Instrument Is This" for a challenge from me that could get you a $25 Amazon gift certificate! :D Why? Because I'm really just a nice guy...regardless of what they say about me...

L8r,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by mattulator:

Nice piece!

I have the same bass only it says Cort on it and it is a 4 string which means it doesn't get played any more.

Congrats!

Hey Matt:

The cort was made overseas, right? I'd imagine the Hohner is as well...probably Korea? It wouldn't surprise me at all if these two weren't made in the same factory...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Hey folks:

As promised, here's pics of the new/used electric upright. It's a BSX ST-4, 41.5" scale, ebony fingerboard, active onboard preamp (volume, treble, mid, bass), and the string height is adjustable by changing the angle of the neck. The neck detaches by removing a few bolts, although I haven't experimented any with this yet...I'm too busy trying to get accustomed to the longer scale length :freak: . I'll post some better sound samples (hopefully with me actually playing in tune!) in probably a few days.

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/pics/ElectricUpright_BSXST4_full.JPG

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/pics/ElectricUpright_BSX-ST4.JPG

Enjoy!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived