Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

advise the cracker: how to approach two sets of covers & originals

The Fonz

so my band has opportunities for lots more shows. the trick is that we'd be the only band playing these shows which would be in bars. we'd be getting paid and wouldn't have to pay our bar tab.

here's the dilemma: we need to play two sets. we are welcome to do originals and we don't want to fully become a cover band so originals will be played, BUT we are expected to play covers to keep the patrons happy. my question is thus- how do we arrange the sets? cover set first then original set? original set first and then cover set? intersperse covers and originals? help me!

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.. most definitely mix them up and be able to change the set list in the middle of the set to play to the crowd. Start off with something slower if the crowd is slower and then get into the fun, loud, fast, kick booty stuff later in the night when everybody is feelin' the luv (and booze).

Suggestion: Start with a lesser known cover song... it will peak the interest of the musicians or people who don't want to hear "just another cover band".

I've been in both cover, and original bands; I definitely think you should mix it up.

As much as people will enjoy your originals, they want to hear something they know.

Play covers that'll make them dance!

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

If you havnt rehearsed a song well enough, save it until after the ddrinks kick in.

If a song is repeatedly requested tell thge guy standing next to you to write that down, whoever he may be.

And always make "tequila" your last song.

Umm...I think you're set

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Sadly, I haven't listened to enough Blue Winter, but when I was in a "mix" band we put together songs so that the set flowed. When covering, we would string a few by the same band if it felt right (e.g. 3 Beatles tunes).

If you are a patron, you like to hear something you know from time to time. If you play to a consistent crowd (which we did), they scream for the first cover after an original in the early days. Soon, they scream for originals that they recognize as well.

Now you made me remember the great reaction we used to get for "Waitin For The Weekend", which our singer wrote when he was 13, but kicked some serious butt.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Like everyone else, I'm gonna go with the mixed set.

Throw in some really well known songs (but feel free to adapt em a bit) and some lesser known ones.

Even better, re-arrange a well-known-but-completely-not-in-your-genre song. People LOVE that.

I once saw this classic/stoner band who played nothing but originals (as far as I knew anyway) and they were great (aside from the new singer) but all of a sudden they announced "a singalong song" and they started playing "You're The One That I Want" from the Grease soundtrack. To date, the BEST cover I ever heard. Really heavy, really adapted to their style of playing, yet recognisable.

Keep us posted :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Mix it up, but arrange the mix carefully so that you're not follwing a Rage Against The Machine classic with a ballad about losing your pet chicken to your girlfriend. Put yourself in the audience's position.

And good luck with that! :wave:

Good one Fred!

Back in 1994-97 my old band's original's were getting air-play on college and local radio but made some good dough doing a 3-set bar circuit.

We covered classic rock (Sabbath, AC/DC, Jethro Tull, Kiss, Zepp, Floyd) and some current stuff at the time: Peal Jam, STP, Lenny Kravitz, Bush, Nirvana etccc.

As Tom and Eddie (obscure covers) suggested,

We would mix it up usually playing the covers per artist in blocks of two or three. eg, Kiss: Goin Blind, She, Parasite. Sabbath: War Pigs, Symptom of the Universe, Evil Woman (thats obscure).

We wouldn't announce our originals until after we played em. Usually we would end our show with an orignal tune.

After playing the same club circuit for a few months, people would pick-up on our originals; what started out as 75% covers, 25% originals endud up 60-40 and 50-50.

We played at some of the roughest bars in NJ, but we avoided trouble by limiting the "pause that kills" between songs. Seamless transition was always safe and it kept the 'drunks' away from the band.

Good luck!

Another vote for the mixed set. And while you are proud of your originals, don't always announce them as such; see what kind of reactions you get. And while you will be judged on the covers as to how much you cop it directly from the album, find a way to make it "yours", even if you just throw in a quick dose of your own thing. Remember- "Freebird" is mandatory so grab a beer bottle and play the slide licks on your bass.

Tom C used to be in Loverboy? Oh wait... that was "Working..." nevermind.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

...about losing your pet chicken to your girlfriend.

Sorry to hear this Fred. I lost my girlfriend to my pet chicken. :D:D

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Danzilla:

Another vote for the mixed set. And while you are proud of your originals, don't always announce them as such; see what kind of reactions you get. And while you will be judged on the covers as to how much you cop it directly from the album, find a way to make it "yours", even if you just throw in a quick dose of your own thing. Remember- "Freebird" is mandatory so grab a beer bottle and play the slide licks on your bass.

Tom C used to be in Loverboy? Oh wait... that was "Working..." nevermind.

I play a show opening for my friend's dads band every year. And every year I'v asked them to play free bird, and everyyear they say no, and last year they said only if i brought a generous tip..

I'm bringing 100 this time, and i will hear freebird, o yes, i will

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by musicfiend:

I'm bringing 100 this time, and i will hear freebird, o yes, i will

Be careful about that. While musicians like money, you are treading on dangerous ground here. That song belongs to an elite group (delete group?) of songs that you hate to have requested.

The originator of this very thread was arrested at a well-known NYC venue for murdering a club patron who made this very request. The police had to take him in given the severity of the action, but released him as soon as the word "freebird" left his lips. It seems one of the arresting officers was a musician.

Tom

(of course Ace never murdered anyone, but if you scream that songtitle enough he may want to...)

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

(of course Ace never murdered anyone, but if you scream that songtitle enough he may want to...)
Actually... I have it on good authority that he once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

Or snoring too loudly.

Or something.

I'm just saying...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I have it on good authority that he once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.
Nope. That was me. Or some other guy in black.

BTW, one of the WORST covers I ever heard was a jam-band re-vamp of "Fulsom Prison Blues" by a band from around here. Not good.

Anyway... regarding the originals/covers mix...

If you have to do two sets, I agree with the consensusmix 'em. I like the idea of doing "b-sides" as covers, too...

But... and this is important... if you're doing sort of obscure covers, try to do songs that someone (besides you) might know... Otherwise, it's like you're doing another original.

Another fun thing to do is make a medley of tunes with similar feels or chord changes. For example, take the end of "Give It Away" (RHCP) and meld it into "Sweet Leaf" by Black Sabbath.

BTW, I hear Geezer Butler is one of the all time greatest bassists.

But then again, I also heard thar KoRn RuLez.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived