Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Geddy Lee Bass

kosta

Howdy all, in the very near future i may be purchasing the geddy lee signature model jazz bass from Fender. I have heard good things about the pickups, thin neck, and bridge and whatnot, but i have not heard any downsides to this bass.

I need to know any flaws you may have experienced with this bass.

Any positive revues are also welcomed.

Thank you in advance. :thu:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had my Geddy for a year now. I'm very happy with the tone and feel. You will hear that throughout this forum as well. It's a great bang for the buck. The only downside is the neck is thin. It can shift in some cases, needing a set up. A great instrument though. Enjoy

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

I think you should research the benloy model jazz bass on our forum. It's got a lotmore american grunt, compared to canadian grind.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

The main problem of the BenLoy bass for some folks including myself is that the neck is actually TOO thin. I actually get hand cramps after playing one for extended lengths of time and my main axe even has a jazz sized neck. Probably due to bad technique on my part, but I've heard a few others with the same complaint. If possible, try to play one for an extended length of time before buying.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I've had mine for about 6 months now and love it. Yes, the neck is very thin (especially moving between that and a 5'er w/ a rosewood fretboard) and may require a slightly different approach from you, but it's just too much fun to play! There was a substantial bow to the neck when I first got it, but after a full setup, it's been great. :thu:

I love mine, too. Downsides? Yeah, OK.

You might not like the lacquered neck. I could go either way, I guess.

I like the thin neck for playing, but its profile is very sensitive to string tension.

The fact that you have to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod is a little too, er, "authentic" for my tastes. But not the end of the world, & could be modified.

I dropped split coils into mine for a thicker sound, but the stock singles are also great.

It's a Fender, so the sustain probably won't be totally consistent along the G string. (But you knew that.)

Some people don't think the tuners seem very "substantial" or something, but I think that's rubbish. It holds a tune.

So, yeah, it's not perfect. But it's still my #1 bass & I totally love it. It plays beautifully, is very versatile & responsive, fits a mix nicely and records like buttah. One of the best buys I've ever made, & it's a keeper!

For my jazz basses I've always prefered buying a used MIM and then putting in all the stuff I like and want. BadAss bridge, different pickups, preamp, etc. Even better is finding a body, a neck, etc., and doing it completely from parts. Thenk you really get a "custom" bass.

Originally posted by dcr:

One of the best buys I've ever made, & it's a keeper!

And dcr got a special price on his, too, and he still makes this statement! :eek::D

I think he paid more than anyone else -- ever -- for this bass...

Peace.

--s-dub

(It's all luv, man, all luv.) :cool:

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Not so! Not so!

I paid under $550, new. (They cost $630 online.) It's just that BenLoy got his at one of those special fell-off-the-back-of-a-lorry rates. An honest rate, I'm sure, but a scandalously low one, nonetheless.

Jerk.

True dat, my homies hooked me up.

I love my GL Jazz.

Drawbacks:

1) The tuners are a bit cheap. I replaced the ones on mine with Hipshot ultralites and never looked back.

2) The fretwork is another drawback. It's not great...there are some flat spots and buzzes.

Other than that, it's a great bass. Both the above issues are ones that you can solve with a relatively inexpensive trip to the repairman.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. The Geddy Lee I tried at GC was a disappointment. I've played a circa 2000 Jazz for a few of years (don't know if it was standard, american, what-have-you) that played and sounded far better than the GL. Of course, there's a good chance the problem is GC.

I guess I should weigh in. :D

Yes, I love my Geddy Lee Jazz too. The glossy neck bugged me and I sanded it down to a nice satin finish. I love the thin neck. The truss rod adjustment is slightly annoying, but I've only had to adjust mine twice in almost 3 years of owning it. Not that big of a deal. The tuners on mine are fine.

Great bass for the money, but I think the price has just gone up a bit. And apparently it's no longer a limited edition bass. These are so popular Fender would be incredibly stupid to ever discontinue them.

I always read great reviews of the Geddy, and had high expectations of it. I tried three at three different shops and was unfortunately disappointed. I've owned several Jazzes through many of it's eras, and the GL seemed very similar to it's likeness, but just not quite making it there.

I was stoked about it's list of features, and loved the way it looked. Too bad the square position markers and neck binding are painted on, rather than actual inlays like the originals.

Neck felt a little soft, and tuners were weak.

Sound was good, punchy, crunchy, funky, rock-grinding and lethal to small animals.

After waiting for a long time, I had to pass on actually buying it after trying it.

Good for the money, absolutely. I wouldn't make it my one and only bass though.

I'd buy one if it was more $300 ish just cause I am such a Rush nut, but other than that, there are dozens of better choices in that price range. I did the same thing another poster did, I tried 3 at 3 different shops, and 2 were GC. In general, GC's stuff tends to be all wanked out from being geeked on by every 12 year old who runs through the store, but the one I pulled down still smelled like it had just been un wrapped.

I keep seeing all these posts on here about Rondo basses and the OLP stuff. I had always written these off as junk, and never even tried playing one, but I mayhave to re-evaluate that. I was thinking about getting an OLP MM3 and knocking the frets outs. Are these things REALLY good enough to gig with?

as far as rondo goes, everyone at the guitar forum raves about their gibson copies, which leads me to believe that basses on the website are most likely of similar quality.

olp looks great, but i'm skeptical. i played a friends, and it was totally garbage. however, it may be the fact that they neglected to get it set up properly, or had not kept it in a safe environment causing some bowing in the neck. i just remember being turned off.

The only thing I have now is a Peavey Millenium American. The things is really a nice, well rounded bass. Snazzy lookin, nice playing, great tone, clean electronics..I paid $500 with case as a leftover here in Michigan. I have seen similar deals on them. I just thought the Ged bass would be top notch all the way through and it seemed rather half hearted (not so close to the heart after all....ACK!)

Followup!!

So i bought the bass, sounds great.

Awesome tone, really thin neck and whatnot. No problems so far, except that my amp is still the one that came with my squire bass starter pack.

Well i guess if this bass can make that amp sound good, it in itself is good.

The end

Congrats on the new bass kosta!I hope that you really enjoy it and are well served by it. :thu:

I always liked the look of them and I checked one out at the GC a while back. Everyone talks about the thin neck, it seemed to be the same profile as my '62 reissue, which I like very much (much more than the MIM Jazz neck shape).

Unfortunately, Fender doesn't offer them lefthanded....as usual.Oh well. :(

Now all you need is a Maytag dryer and you're all set! :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

• 5 months later...

I played on at he local store (not GC, where the basses usually have a bad set up) and it was really nice. Yes, there's the hum with a soloed pickup. Yes, the neck adjustment thing. Otherwise I thought it played and sounded great. So does everyone who picks it up.

My wife would like to buy me a bass like that someday. Problem is I don't know if I can wait.

I played one, but unfortunately that was during a phase where I was playing with la bella jamerson set's with high action, so I pretty much mangled it and didn't get a clear picture.

Right now I'm playing with hi-beams set with nice low action. I'm sure I would get a better impression now, anyone wanna send their's over :thu:

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by dcr:

Not so! Not so!

I paid under $550, new. (They cost $630 online.) It's just that BenLoy got his at one of those special fell-off-the-back-of-a-lorry rates. An honest rate, I'm sure, but a scandalously low one, nonetheless.

Jerk.

:D
unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

Originally posted by zachg:

http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/bass/sjb75cnat1a.jpg

160 bucks at rondo online. everyone in the guitar forum owns one of their lp copies, i think i might just go for one of their basses . . .

I've been tempted by this beauty more times than I wish to recount, especially since my best friend picked a sunburst model up a few months back. I live about 20 miles away from their store and occasionally spot a $99 deal on one of these, but I'm holding out for the right 5-string model. After comparing this to the GL (not the BL) model, I've come to the same conclusion that this bass plus a pickup/electronics/Badass bridge/StrapLock do-over is what I need. The GL model comes off more of a MIM build with the shifty neck and too-clear neck coating for my tastes. The BL model is harder to find, methinks because they're usually don't spend a lot of time on the rack before a smart customer picks it right up.

:wave:

Ben, we've talked to Fender about reissuing your signature model, but they're hung up over star endorsements at the moment. Maybe when Geddy switches back to his Wals we can get up a petition to make Fender change their mind.

Archived