Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Duet at the B-Ball Game!!!

dohhhhh6

Alright, the jazz ensemble I play in is the official "basketball pep band." However, both of the band directors were out of town for this Friday's very important game against our rival school. The head of the athletic department wanted us to play badly, so my jazz ensemble director asked the guitarist, a drummer, and I to play.

Both the drummer and guitarist didn't want to do it, but being the classy person I am, I wanted to dive headfirst. Long story short, my normal band's guitarist is playing drums (don't worry, he's got 2 years under his belt) and I'm on bass, and that's positively it!

It's 80's night, so I'm going to be playing "Crazy Train," "Sunshine of Your Love," "That's the Way I like It," and possibly "Smoke on the Water," all by myself with just a drummer. I'm scared to death I'm going to both the patrons (the gym's going to be packed), but I figure if I groove hard (I'm on the metronome right now!), maybe it'll work.

This is my first time seriously playing alone (me and drums) in front of an audience, but I think I have a few tricks up my sleeves. One them is my brother's guitar distortion pedal (of the DOD Grunge variety). It might not sound that good, but I figure if it allows me some diversity, it'll be cool.

After this, I'm finally going to be able to connect hardcore with ClatterAmy, Alex, and though solo guys, wow! I can't believe I'm playing tonight. If you have any tips, I'm home for another hour! Wish me luck!

In Skynyrd We Trust

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow. i dont think i would be ballsy enough to do that. you have my support!

go pinkdress!

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

There were a couple bad moments... I ended up not using the distortion pedal as the man on the PA decided to play stuff bad rock music giving us no time to really goof around.

The guitar/drummer did less than I expected, but my expectations were high. All we did were a couple time outs and some riffs when we scored. Ben loved it. I liked it.

The fact that we had no time to rehearse before hand showed a lot. I would break into "Sunshine of Your Love" and Ben would do a slow beat that put me off tempo. It's as much if not more my fault that I have trouble with "off the bat" slow beats.

I have a feeling we're going to do this again sometime, and we're REALLY gonna get some time to jam stuff out.

Good experience.

In Skynyrd We Trust

Archived