Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mighty Mite and Ebonal...any knowledge?

SteveC

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently purchased one of these necks and it is really well made. I got mine from quickconnect but the neck looks the same. Mine is a P profile. I haven't installed it yet but my initial assessment is that it has a glassy fingerboard, and the stock nut is crappy plastic. The overall construction looks better than average.

I'd tack the cost of a nice nut onto the cost of the neck. Otherwise I'm looking forward to getting this neck to the finish stage and hearing it in action. I'd expect it to have a bright sound even with flats, as compared to a rosewood board. This board reminds me of a Pedulla Buzz with the hard finish. If you are looking for more of an upright thump i'd probably hold out for a maple/rosewood neck. I see Allparts and Warmoth versions on eBay pretty frequently.

Pete

I agree with SW. Ebony on maple would work. Same with the body - get maple body from Warmoth.

And a great option would be to skip the whole magnetic pickup thing and just put in a piezo loaded bridge. Might look cool, too - plain curly maple, no pickguard, and a classic violin-type finish. :D

Steve, what about upgrading your Carvin to a piezo bridge?

I don't think I'd go for ebanol if you're looking for an old school sound.

Think of what Jaco's bass sounded like with the fiberglass coating. Or what a Pedulla sounds like with the coating they have on their fingerboard.

Ebony will of course last longer than rosewood. And ebony is what is on an upright.

But rosewood will sound mellower and if you are using flats there will be very little wear on the fingerboard.

I personally like the feel of rosewood over ebony.

I took the piezo's off of my Carvin. Didn't like the sound of them. Maybe some other kind would be alright.

It is an interesting idea to skip the magnetic pickup all together though. The chambred body seems to make sense as well. Maybe a maple/rosewood board.

Definitely a chambered body though. Warmoth does chambered J bodies.

Also, I'd go with a mahogany body w/ maple top rather than a maple or alder body. Just trust me on that -- especially if you go with an ebony 'board.

If you stick w/ a rosewood 'board, then I'd say go with a maple or alder body.

Carl Thompson might say, "Who cares? Get whatever woods you want." (Perhaps I misinterpreted that article/interview of his to which a link is posted periodically.)

Originally posted by getz76:

Better yet, use tapewounds.

Perhaps flats for the E and A and tapewounds for the D and G. You can PM Tenstrum for more info about that combination.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

*bump*

Yo Steve!

Did you make any further decisions about this P bass project? Order any parts yet?

I know you seem set on passive electronics, but I just wanted to throw the idea of a Raven Labs P-Retro preamp out there. (I don't know how easy they are to track down these days, though, since I heard that Raven Labs has closed down.)

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I haven't done more than look yet. I kinda hijacked musicfiens topic (GAS for fretless) with a new idea.

I had (surprise) a Raven Labs P-replacement in another project bass. I liked it. I just want a bare bones passive old school tone in this one - when and if I do it.

I would suggest some lindy fralin overwounds for this project. ANd a hollow or chambered body would be, as the kids say "sick".
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Archived