Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Must I Buy Another BDDI?

Mike Bear

A bit of youthful ignorance coming to the surface yet again, how does one use the BDDI with an amp in a live setting. I understand that it can be used to go direct for recording or for going directly into a PA without an amp but it sounds as if many of you use them as a sound shaper for your rigs. Do you plug into it and then into your amp or do you use it in your effect loop or am I totally on the wrong track?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Broke out one of the newer BDDI's today at work. Not the 3 channel one. Pro-battery change without a screwdriver. Con-the box is lighter and not as thick. I'm sure it's still durrable. Mine seems quite heavy compared though.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

The best thing about the newer (non programmable) BDDI's is that line switch. It gives you a much hotter signal to send to your amp. I think it's a night and day difference from the older models.

I wrote to Tech21 and they said the programmable BDDI is all the same as the old one - with the line switch. They have the effected XLR and 1/4", but they did away with the uneffected 1/4" out. No loss in my mind.

Originally posted by davio:

A bit of youthful ignorance coming to the surface yet again, how does one use the BDDI with an amp in a live setting. I understand that it can be used to go direct for recording or for going directly into a PA without an amp but it sounds as if many of you use them as a sound shaper for your rigs. Do you plug into it and then into your amp or do you use it in your effect loop or am I totally on the wrong track?

I run mine like this:

Bass --> Compression --> BDDI --> Amp.

Sometimes I use an effect or two between the BDDI and the Amp. I haven't tried it through the effects loop, put I have tried it direct to PA only and also through the Power Amp In on my head unit (bypassing my amps preamp). I have found that setting all the tone knobs at 12:00 on my amp head and running the SVT Settings + a little more drive gives me the sound I want.

FYI, I'm using a Peavey Firebass that I bought new in 2003 right around the time the Max 700 came out to replace it (although the "replacement" was just in name and front panel graphics).

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

They must be feeling some competition from Radial Tonebone with their two channel deal. Now, if they'd build one stompbox that has this, plus a good chorus compressor, and a true-bypass effects loop, I might have to give it a run against the Digitech BP-8... ;)

Dave

Perhaps, but Radial seems to discourage the use of the Tonebone direct into a power amplifier. 'Round these parts, the ability of the BDDI to go directly into a power amp is a pretty big deal.
- Matt W.

Originally posted by NUTT:

The BDDI can be used in conjunction with a power amp as a stand alone preamp. I've done this once or twice as well.

I basically do this all the time. I run from my bass to my Peavey Kosmos to my power amp to my cabinet. It sounds amazing. The 20 db boost will make it a lot easier to get a lot of sound out of my rig. It sounds massive, akin to an old SVT running on all cylinders.

Archived