Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Must I Buy Another BDDI?

Mike Bear

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't find any pics of it. It's like the other little black switches on it,but it talks about routing the signal. I'll take a damn picture of the one at the store I teach at if I have to with my phone. I'm sure it doesn't do much with the sound.

Mike

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Mike, the only reason I'm shopping for another BDDI is because mine is over two years old and has already been fried/serviced once, so it's an accident waiting to happen. You might want to sample the wonderful world of tube preamps or that MXR one everyone is raving about.

Then again there's the Countryman 85: I can't find one for under $100, and they don't have tone/volume controls, but they have a flavor all their own. I still love my BDDI but if a Countryman happens my way at the right price, I'm hittin' that like Hugh Grant!

:D

That's horrible your BDDI got friend. I've heard so many good things at least about the reliability of them. Now if you are talking about the Countryman (the red box I see at every studio), it won't have the tone shaping I need. I am curroius about the MXR. I hear a lot of toss up decisions between the two units. I actually use the Sans Amp to get a bit of overdrive on my tone. Also to supliment the tone on my GK1000RB. No, not 1001. I'm actually considering either a new head or a pre/power separate units. Considered the Ampeg SVP-CL, Demeter H series, and the Tech 21 RBI. By the way, the Country man is a kick a** box.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Ok there's two new switches on it. They both have the same function. One is for XLR and one is for the regular 1/4" output. They both say. Line/Instrument/XLR and Line/Instrument/Output. It's not on their web site. I found a catalog but it's from '04. Oh well.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

And, when combined with a suitable power amp, even more so not good, wallet-wise.

And yet, something I might have to have.

As soon as possible.

Ahhh, conflicts.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I just nearly bought myself a BDDI. Now I'm thinking I might hold off until April.....

(Background is I've been experimenting with my BP-8 and V-Bass. The jury is still out on both items. But they've taught me that even if I decide they are not for me I no longer want to be restricted to the Grand Prix as my only sound generator. It's a great clean sound but I want other options. The BDDI looks like it could be the perfect compromise, giving me a ballsier, grittier sound when required but in a small, portable and hassle-free form.

Last night I had a rehearsal and the studio amp was awful - a thin and characterless clapped out old Trace. I suspect that the BDDI could have turned the sound into something that at least wasn't painful to listen to.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, this new BDDI is now listed on the site...not that much about it, other than it's 3 channel. But, that may be enough. This is pretty cool. One of the things I wish the MXR M80 had was two EQ's...this guy has three. Hmmmm....if anyone gets one post your opinions.

They must be feeling some competition from Radial Tonebone with their two channel deal. Now, if they'd build one stompbox that has this, plus a good chorus compressor, and a true-bypass effects loop, I might have to give it a run against the Digitech BP-8... ;)

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I really only use 1 sound on my BDDI. I had to upgrade mine last week because....let's just say when you introduce electronics to ditch water, some not-so-good things can happen. I got the newer BDDI, with the additional 2 slide switches. It's all I need. I get too confused having to play while tap dancing on pedals. I just change my playing style or my bass when I need a new tone. But, I'm not saying I would kick one of these out of my bed, I just would press the issue too hard to get it there.

Archived