Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I want to get into upright

musicfiend

Hi there,

Ive decided that I really want to play upright. I was wondering if you guys know of any reputable teachers in the Los Angeles or South bay area.

Also, any recommendations for a bass. I am farmiliar with the upright "names", but I am pretty sure that it is more risky to but an upright site unseen. DO you any good bass carriers that are near where I live? Thank you for your help.......and in a completely unrelated note

Davebrownbass, bob gollihur, miuke merrit feel free to chime in whenever you want :D

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An upright is pretty big, but it would be hard to get into...you'd have to be a contortionist.

Okay, here's my spiel:

1. In LA? A reputable teacher? I'd bet they are falling off the walls out there. First thing I'd do is contact a high school with a reputable orchestra program. Get the orchestra director to point you in the direction of a private teacher with experience teaching beginners.

2. Plan on learning legit technique, using Simandl New Method for Double Bass, Vol. I. (Make sure you get the C. Fischer publisher version of this book.) You will progress fastest with legit technique and using the bow.

3. I'd recommend you rent a bass to start. Again, the orchestra director could point you to good places. Normally, I'm really against renting URB, but it seems appropriate for this situation. The rent is generally pretty high ($75 per month) but that is money well spent for 6 months while you gauge your desire to pursue the instrument. After that period of time, you'll know more about what you need in a bass, and how much you want to drop. (Plan on a minimum of $2500, however.)

4. How far are you from San Juan Capistrano? I know nothing about my California geography, since we keep expecting it to change with the next big one. Lemur Music is there, and they'd really be able to help you...maybe they'd even rent one of their basses to you.

And remember...an upright bass is not just a grown up electric; an electric is not just a baby URB. It is a different instrument in many significant ways. You'll do best by approaching it as it's own entity...making comparisons to Electric bass will only slow you down. Later, you'll begin to sense the idiom and bring technique back and forth.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

I'm willing to drive down to san juan capistrano if it will get me a better instrument and make me a better player. Could you please give me the contact information to the store. Are there any general guidelines to buyingan upright that I can adhere to. e.g. not this brand, if you see a crack there walk away slowly,dont even touch it, don't even think about it, etc.

I won't be able to talk to the orchestra teacher until friday at the absolute soonest.

I definitely plan on approaching the instrument with no stubbornness about starting over. The most I will take with me is the music theory, reading, and harmony I learned at electric. Thank you very much.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

www.lemurmusic.com

You also could\'ve googled "Lemur Bass" and clicked on the very first link.

Lemur stocks good instruments, I wouldn't worry about them putting one over on you there.

Try to get a bass with a solid wood top if you're gonna do any serious playing with the bow besides practicing for intonation. Otherwise, a good plywood will be fine to get you started.

Ask the salesperson's advice at Lemur. They're really great over there and are very patient and helpful.

Cool. Thanks guys.

I will be speaking with the orchestra teacher on monday, he will be hearing me play electric on tuesday, and after that he will hear me on my first attempt at upright :eek:

thanks again,

BTW Benloy, why is a solid wood top recommended for upright bowing?

Originally posted by BenLoy:

www.lemurmusic.com

You also could\'ve googled "Lemur Bass" and clicked on the very first link.

Lemur stocks good instruments, I wouldn't worry about them putting one over on you there.

Try to get a bass with a solid wood top if you're gonna do any serious playing with the bow besides practicing for intonation. Otherwise, a good plywood will be fine to get you started.

Ask the salesperson's advice at Lemur. They're really great over there and are very patient and helpful.

Excellent recommendation. I met the good doctor when he was at IU but still buy most of my upright gear from him even though he has moved to the "left coast."

Originally posted by musicfiend:

Cool. Thanks guys.

I will be speaking with the orchestra teacher on monday, he will be hearing me play electric on tuesday, and after that he will hear me on my first attempt at upright :eek:

thanks again,

BTW Benloy, why is a solid wood top recommended for upright bowing?

A solid wood top is a bit more flexible and will give you a better sound for bowing.

A good plywood will definately have a useable arco sound, though...so I wouldn't stress it too much. Also, cheap solid wood bass may not sound as good as a plywood in the same price range...simply because it's more expensive to make a good solid wood bass than it is to make a plywood.

If you get your hands on a good old Kay plywood that might be the best place to start.

Cool, I may start out on the school bass for a month or two assuming he lets me join the program. If I find the instrument to my liking I wouldnt mind drppong a few more bucks.

Word to the Kay. Decent instruments that sound alright and are very playable. Hell, even my stupid ass sounds somewhat authentic on one of those basses and I have very limited upright skills.

If you want to go full tilt from the start, I have played a few Hammond/Ashley basses that were incredible. They of course cost $18,000 and more, but MAN were they cool.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Word to the Kay. Decent instruments that sound alright and are very playable. Hell, even my stupid ass sounds somewhat authentic on one of those basses and I have very limited upright skills.

If you want to go full tilt from the start, I have played a few Hammond/Ashley basses that were incredible. They of course cost $18,000 and more, but MAN were they cool.

I think full tilt wouldn't be the best choice :rolleyes:

What I meant was instead of starting on a completely horrible bass(1500), I would start out on a decent bass(still under 3k). All this from using the student bass to begin with....hey brian, if you throw uprights into the picture you'll have no problem rationalizing your recent alembic GAS... :idea:

"Hey man...I don't think YOU get it this isn't like some cheap les paul custom....bass is different dude, just look at those ashley basses, they're 18k"

"Yea dude I KNOW, it's cool....you're forgiven.. :rolleyes: ..just don't say I spend too much on my gear ever again :mad: "

:D

Archived