Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

And Speaking Of OLP Basses (Some Snow-Induced Music)Listen

A McLeod III

There was a very complimentary article in a recent issue of Bass Player about the MM2 and the MM3. I have an MM3 5 String and a MusicMan StingRay 5 w/piezo bridge. The Music Man spends a lot of time in the case lately. :) How did they get that OLP to sound so good with no pre-amp? And for only $279.00? (Got mine at GC) Anyway, moving on........

We've been snowed in for a few days so in an attempt to get away from the wife, the creative juices began to flow and this tune came about. It's called "Playing Wit Myself (In The Snow)" I was really proud of the bass work here. All played on my OLP through my Bass Podxt Pro directly into the recorder. That *title* does sound a little risque. lol I'm using my 424 and the pod and a few other effects for this mix. It's got a really infectious groove (to me anyway) I'd like your impressions and any comments you all can offer to help improve the sound if necessary. Here's the link. Let me know what you think. This is the first recording of the new year so be gentle. : )

Click on the link to "Playin\' Wit Myself" and listen

:eek:

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm diggin that bassly biased mix...ooh ya...geetar sound purty durin the solo too..........your fills are very look and go over a wide tonal range.......nice tight groove, cool intro
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Pretty nice stuff. I'm impressed. I might even listen to your whole catalog now.

As for the OLP... Just goes to show you that all this GAS is really so useless. Just like cars. I want a BMW, but my 7 year old Toyota gets me where I want to go, warm, dry and on time. What more do I really need?

Originally posted by Father Gino:

Pretty nice stuff. I'm impressed. I might even listen to your whole catalog now.

As for the OLP... Just goes to show you that all this GAS is really so useless. Just like cars. I want a BMW, but my 7 year old Toyota gets me where I want to go, warm, dry and on time. What more do I really need?

I truly, truly agree with that statement. I've got an 86 Chevy Blazer I use as a daily driver. 266,000 miles, broke in; not broke down and PAID FOR! That analogy is very timely. ;)

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

Originally posted by Discombobulation:

Nice work! It does groove quite nicely. Also very cool that you seem to be proficient on several instruments.

But that title sucks. This song deserves something better.

I'm open to suggestions on the title. I was actually "Playin' Wit Myself in the Snow" when I recorded it :D Couldn't think of nothing else :)

Originally posted by Gospel5theZealot:

are you playing all the instruments? the drums are synthetic...right?

if you are playing all of the instruments, is guitar your main instrument?

the olp tone is pretty sweet

jason

On this track, I played all the instruments. The drum sounds are synthetic but I played the parts real time using an XP-80 Pop Expansion Board. I do play a kit but this was quicker in regard to getting the "sound" down.

My main instrument -that's hard to say. I started piano at age 5 and I went the traditional route. Hanon studies, Bach inventions, etc. I majored in woodwinds in college. (Clarinet, Saxophone) I've played the guitar since age 13 and the bass since 17. (We needed one for the concert band in college-I was hooked after that.)

:)

And yes, the OLP absolutely ROCKS! Proving once again that 1. it's all in the hands and 2. All the money you can throw at it does not make an instrument great :D

Originally posted by BenLoy:

The link wouldn't work for me. "The connection was refused when connecting to www.soundclick.com"

Sorry about that BenLoy. SoundClick sends that message when the server is overloaded or they are pulling maintenance. Just try it again later. That usually does the trick :) If it doesn't, I'll e-mail ya the mp3 if you really want to hear it. :D

Dang, that's an OLP!!?? Wow, it sounds pretty damn good! I like the song too. You ARE gonna work on a melody, right? You're right, it's all in the hands but I think with the advancement in CNC, most basses are of better quality than instruments made 20+ years ago anyway. I was even eyeballing one but I wanted something with wider string spacing. Have you seen the new Tony Levin sig. model?
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Originally posted by kenfxj:

I have an OLP MM3. Strange... mine doesn't sound that good when I play it. :D

Seriously though, nice work. Very nice indeed.

I'm sure *U* are just being modest and yours sounds just fine :) The only complaint I had was *how* OLP wired the bass. I realize this was to cut cost. The pickup is actually pretty decent by itself. They use the same exact pickup in the MTD Kingston 5 String. (Which has a lot of MusicMan flava in it's own right) I came across a go around giving the MM3 a master volume, to separate tone circuits and a 3-way switch which really woke this puppy up. I have to wonder why they didn't do that initially anyway? :confused: That fix was less than 35.00 in parts if you do the work yourself.

DW-I haven't seen the Levin yet but I here that it's *Pink* :eek: Now , I don't know about that. If Tony Levin will endorse it and OLP will make it, then it's gonna be great.

i wish that people like you would post project threads....something like:

when i replaced this component, the original sound changed from this to this.

I wouldn't have the first idea as to what to do in modifying electronics.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Originally posted by Archie McLeod III:

Originally posted by kenfxj:

I have an OLP MM3. Strange... mine doesn't sound that good when I play it. :D

Seriously though, nice work. Very nice indeed.

I'm sure *U* are just being modest and yours sounds just fine :) The only complaint I had was *how* OLP wired the bass. I realize this was to cut cost. The pickup is actually pretty decent by itself. They use the same exact pickup in the MTD Kingston 5 String. (Which has a lot of MusicMan flava in it's own right) I came across a go around giving the MM3 a master volume, to separate tone circuits and a 3-way switch which really woke this puppy up. I have to wonder why they didn't do that initially anyway? :confused: That fix was less than 35.00 in parts if you do the work yourself.

DW-I haven't seen the Levin yet but I here that it's *Pink* :eek: Now , I don't know about that. If Tony Levin will endorse it and OLP will make it, then it's gonna be great.

Well his may be pink but the pic I saw was definitely not pink!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~seventyx7/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tlsigfull.jpg

www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Originally posted by DWBass:

Well his may be pink but the pic I saw was definitely not pink!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~seventyx7/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tlsigfull.jpg

Like I said-that's what I *heard* on another forum but this thing here is beautiful.

:eek: Man I feel a case of G.A.S. comin' on strong. :cool: Is the body smaller than the standard MM3 (more like a Sterling) or is that just the camera angle?

I also have an OLP MM-3 and really like it as an addition to my Fender Active Jazz MIM.

I liked the OLP so much that I started a group for owners. So if you want to learn more about OLP you can go over to

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/olpbassplayers/

There is lots of tips on making changes and getting the most out of this very cost-effective bass.

HypnoBassMan

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

Originally posted by HypnoBassMan:

I also have an OLP MM-3 and really like it as an addition to my Fender Active Jazz MIM.

I liked the OLP so much that I started a group for owners. So if you want to learn more about OLP you can go over to

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/olpbassplayers/

There is lots of tips on making changes and getting the most out of this very cost-effective bass.

HypnoBassMan

Hey HypnoBassMan, I'm a member at OLP Bass Players too. Just giving you a shout out. There's a really cool bunch of folks that post there- it's cool to be part of a disscussion about an instrument(s) that 's causing quite an industry stir in the price/performance wars.

:)

Originally posted by Gospel5theZealot:

i wish that people like you would post project threads....something like:

when i replaced this component, the original sound changed from this to this.

I wouldn't have the first idea as to what to do in modifying electronics.

jason

G5, I meant to get back to you on this before now but here's what I noticed with the mods:

By switching from a circuit that ran both pickups through one tone control and two volumes to one with one master volume and two separate tone controls for each pickup (and no shared capacitor) gave a much cleaner sound at any volume and tone setting. (Which was a major complaint about the OLP basses) I would have thought that when using 250k pots with single coils (the pickup is actually two separate singles in one case), a .047 cap would have been used but it seems that was not the case with the original wiring and I've seem the cap values vary from one OLP to the next. (I've modded 12 already)

A good quality cap and audio tapered pots gave better definition of the sound and better; more finite control of adjustment. (The extensions-bright is brighter and with the tone completely closed,I can still hear the string as well as the fundamental) The difference was most noticeable on the Low B string response . Mind you, the pickup is not the quality of a Bart or and SD but this mod definitely made the pickup sound clearer and more open to my ears.

And most important to me-with the additional shielding in the body cavity and a better grounding job, this thing is completely *quiet* in operation now. The three way switch actually does a better job at "blending" the pickups than the original setup.

:D

Archived