Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Johnny Carson...RIP

SteveC

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some of my fondest memories involve sneaking out of bed to watch The Tonight Show with my dad who worked nights.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

RIP - a funny, warm guy from what I could see on TV. Some of the bits were killer.

He studied drums with Buddy Rich - I remember a documentary or 60 Minutes or something that showed him at home working out on a kit.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

He studied drums with Buddy Rich - I remember a documentary or 60 Minutes or something that showed him at home working out on a kit.

Wow I can't believe I remember that too (yes, it was 60 minutes). I don't think any of us will hold it against him.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

A day filled with ennui for me.

See, Johnny Carson brought all of America together for a hour and a half every night. He was equally appreciated by right and left wing, Catholic and Protestant. "Race, Creed and Color" were all alike in appreciating Johnny.

For me, Johnny was a reason my Grandparents would let me stay up late when I visited. How well I remember us all staying up late and seeing the monologue, the guests, Doc. A gathering place.

Grandma and Grandpa have been gone these long years, but Johnny remained...one firm link to my childhood and those I loved. If he had guested on a show, I'd have watched, and been transported, to those happy days.

Now Johnny's gone also, leaving me with only memories. How many of us feel that way today?

For those of you who've never seen Johnny, it's hard to explain, perhaps. America once had a hearth 5 million households wide. We sat together and watched ABC, NBC and CBS. But after the evening news, we all flipped over to NBC to the Tonight Show.

That's all gone now.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Johnny's reaction to the statement that "I was concieved during your show" was hilarious. Think about it, 30 years @11:30pm-1am 5 nights a week, how many people were created while he glowed on the screen. Talk about a legacy...
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Anybody watch the tonight show last night. Leno's monologue pretty much said what Dave said. During a time the country was more divided than it is now, the people needed that 1 1/2 to be sane. He made fun of everybody including himself without being derogatory and managed to hip for 30 years. He was a fun loving guy and managed to spark alot of people's careers just by being silly.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

My reward for good grades on Friday nights was to stay up late with Mom and Dad and Sis and watch this quiet but uniquely-funny man do his thing. I could go on forever on the guests, but this is about how Johnny differed from the others.

I'm old enough to vaguely recall Jack Parr's stint on that show, but either he played it too straight or we were too unsophisticated to "get" Jack in the 50s. Johnny was something else, he was EVERYMAN, in the tradition of Chaplain, Keaton, and many others. That was the first difference - Johnny felt like the rest of us did, and often reacted that way on camera, to make it feel (as best as any TV personality could) real and unrehearsed.

I even recall Steve Allen's stint at late-night hosting, and he was VERY funny, but Steve had a habit of laughing at his own jokes a little too much. Sometimes you just didn't get the joke and felt left out. Again, EVERYMAN and his trusty sidekick (who wouldn't love Ed when he played Johnny's foil) tried their best to keep it real, to not always laugh at the obvious but to let the laughter come when it was humanly RIGHT to do it. Ed said Johnny felt he had an unvarying sense of timing, so critical not only to successful comedians but to people who had to decide, at one point in life or another, when to laugh, and more important, when to retire.

My only reservation: Johnny should've given the show over to Dave Letterman. Jay's OK, but Dave's style is a living tribute to Johnny's. Other than that, Johnny is the man who made late-night work, and kept us little squirts in the 60s and 70s home long enough to grow up right instead of getting in trouble on the streets.

My biggest hope is that civilizations outside our local system who are currently scanning our numerous ancient broadcasts "get" Johnny and think perhaps that there's hope for the rest of us on this big blue and white marble.

:wave:

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

My only reservation: Johnny should've given the show over to Dave Letterman. Jay's OK, but Dave's style is a living tribute to Johnny's.

Johnny pretty much DID give the show to Dave. NBC just disagreed. But it was pretty clear that Dave had the torch passed to him with Johnny's blessing.

Rest In Peace to a true American treasure. :(

Push the button Frank.

Archived