Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Home Recording gear?

clmayhew

I am setting up a project studio in my home. I will mostly be recording live bass and a drum machine, maybe some vocals and guitar sometimes. I am looking into the Tascam US224 system and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. I will mostly be recording and converting to mP3 for the web. Will this allow me to record, master and convert? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw that one at last years namm. Cool features, moderately portable....I kinda wished I had a home studio............more than I usually do.......so i could buy it
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

That Tascam US224 is quite interesting. I've considered something like that before, but I have to say that I'm not a big fan of computer-based recording. Computer-based mixing and mastering, maybe...but definitely not computer-based tracking. There's always just too many issues with computers (in my household anyway) for it to be reliable enough for my tastes. I suppose that one could get a dedicated PC that's only for audio production, but if you're going to do that, you've then placed the whole system in the price range of a good stand-along recorder.

And that's always been my preference...a stand-alone dedicated digital recorder. Back in the early days, I had a Fostex 8-track reel-to-reel deck and Fostex 16 channel recording console, and it sounded great. It definitely was NOT at all portable however. I'm on my 3rd all-in-one digital recorder since then (a Zoom MRS-1608CD), and I have to say that I'm VERY pleased with it. It sounds fantastic, has remarkably good presets for mastering, has more bells and whistles than I'll probably ever use, and is really easy to work with. Before that was a Yamaha MD-8 (why worry about the sound quality of mini-disc...the mic pre's on this contraption stunk) and a Roland VS-840EX (took a PHD to figure out how to use this one). For me, a good all-in-one box that I can simply go and turn on and it works the same way every time, and does so reliably, is in my opinion the best way to go (but that's merely my opinion).

Anyway, if you already have a great PC and have very few problems with viruses or family members hosing it up, then PC recording might be the way to go. If you're going to buy a dedicated PC for it, then I'd suggest taking at look at the all-in-one options. Specifically, I bought the Zoom MRS-1608, seriously considered the Fostex VF-16EX, took a quick look at the Boss 16-track, and studied the Tascam 2488 for a while (but decided I really didn't need 24 tracks at home...now I'm kinda wishing I had looked a little closer at that bad boy). Anyway, the good news is that most if not all of the digital recorders nowadays have a USB port and allow you to move tracks back and forth to a PC fairly easily.

Anyway, the good news is that, regardless of whether you go with PC-based recording or with a dedicated digital recorder, you'll get at least CD-quality recordings, probably better. The trick then becomes how to get all the bells and whistle's involved in getting a good mix and good mastered recorded. Most folks don't realize it, but it takes about as much talent to mix and master properly as it does to play the instruments. :freak:

Anyway, I hope this ramble helped!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by 73 P Bass:

I'm not sure exactly what model it is, but Tascam has a 24 track digital recorder that can track eight channels at a time.

I thought it sounded great, and lists for only about $1200.

Tascam 2488...you can pick them up off ebay new for about $1K...used for $800 - $900. If you buy off Ebay, MAKE SURE you buy from someone who has at least a reasonable amount of positive feedback...I recently saw a scam artist selling 2488's (new user with no feedback selling three 2488's for a too-good-to-be-true price...and folks bought them!)

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I am have also looked into home recording.

There are some great threads on this, do a search in the collaboration corner forum.

I'm in research mode right now...I've decided what basic format I'm going with. I'm using my sony viao laptop w/external hard drive 3.5", and some kind of external interface. As for software I'm undecided.

This is not an online computer and will be used for nothing else.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

while I don't have direct experience with them, I can tell you that I've heard and read very good things about the US-224 and US-428 being very good introductions into PC-based recording. I happen to be in the camp of having a dedicated PC w/ seperate mic pre's and an audio interface, allowing me to record up to 8 tracks at a time and mix as many as my machine can handle. you can certainly record with the Tascam, but the "mastering" (an art unto itself) and converting to MP3 format will be more a function of the software that comes included with the Tascam (I believe they package it w/ Cubase LE and some other stuff). I would check out their user forum(s) and groups to get a better understanding of what it can and can't do. If the bundled software won't do it for you, there certainly are others out there that will. if you are serious about moving into PC-based recording, there are many things to consider when it comes to the machine itself and just as many options. it can be a little daunting at first, but once you're rolling, it really is an amazing thing. recording great sounding bass, well...that's an entirely different topic.

Archived