Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MP3 samples...please critique

Gruuve

Hey Folks:

Here's some more tunes for church this Sunday where I've cut the original bass line and over-dubbed my bass line. Please offer any criticisms.

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/church/

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm liking the Musicman tone with the highs completely cut on the bass's EQ. Very interesting...it kind of takes on a different character than what I'd expect to hear from merely cutting the highs. One of these is slapped, but I was trying to capture the attack of slap without all the brightness. It had never occurred to me to just cut the highs before...go figure.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the bass lines and/or the tone.

L8r,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dsanders:

Hey Dave. Good tone, but you are overplaying on Hallelujah your love makes me. The line needs to be simplified, especially on the chorus. Great tone! :thu:

Thx for the feedback! Actually, I was kind of thinking that too, even though I've already simplified it considerably from the original (the original was REALLY busy). I may simplify it a bit more...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

we meet again dave.

dsisk. I've played your love is amazing before for a service here on campus.

I think you're overplaying at the beginning, however your playing at the end fits the way that the song builds. I like your approach, however i would tone it down at the start. I like the stuff that you are doing up high on the neck at the outset.

For the second track, i agree with your slap and the way that it fits the groove. It sounds very solid.

I was playing the second song alongside you in my head and around the 3:50s my mind started to do other things.

here

overall your tone is very nice as well.

edit: I just listened to the recording...it's amazing how my mp3 player picked up A LOT of the natural sound of my bass.

jason "you can trust that i'm gonna ask for your feedback +mp3 in the future, dave" atkins

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

I like the slap tone dave, but then again I've never really been one to appreciate the modern slap sound of really tweaky treble and phat bottom over that old school greasy sound that you approximated.

I remember seeing bb king play live with a player that was slapping through his swr rig and bright active bass. It sounded great, he ad great time, great tone, great chops. To me however, it didn't really "fit what bb was doing up there, and it almost clashed with what some other players were trying to achieve. This is only my opinion however. And I'm not sure that if I heard that song again I would think the same thing today...

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Thanks for the posts guys. Yeah, I think on the 1st song, I'll leave a few notes out early in the song, and hold some of the notes longer to make it sound a little less busy. Toward the end, I'll add the extra notes back in, and play it all a little more staccato...should make it come across a little more funky.

Ah, Mr. Jason, interesting idea on the 2nd song. Dude, you need to post more stuff! I'll be glad to comment on anything you post...(and I mean that in a good way, of course! :thu: ) You seem to like doing stuff like this...you should look at getting one of the Zoom or Tascam palm-top recorders. I believe they both have 4-track machines that are under $200 and will fit in your shirt-pocket. Perfect for this type stuff, dump a pre-recorded song to it, EQ out the original bass line, add your's in...cool! ;)

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I actually like the kind of busy intro to the 1st song. Maybe a little less would be better, but maybe 1 or 2 notes less each phrase. Or turn the volume down on it a little there.
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Originally posted by dsanders:

Hey Dave. Good tone, but you are overplaying on Hallelujah your love makes me. The line needs to be simplified, especially on the chorus. Great tone! :thu:

Good bass playin' but I agree with dsanders that you are overplaying a lot! It's actually very distracting. Some songs just require minimal playing and I know it's hard to hold back all the chops you have but it'll show that you can be tasteful and mature in your playing.
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Originally posted by Mr. Phil:

I actually like the kind of busy intro to the 1st song. Maybe a little less would be better, but maybe 1 or 2 notes less each phrase. Or turn the volume down on it a little there.

I agree, didn't find it too busy at all. It certainly doesn't have that "look at me" feeling I get from basslines I associate with being too busy for the song. Maybe I'm just a wanker at heart. :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

i don't think anyone was referring to the intro of the song for the first one. That fits great....but once the meat of the song comes through....the bass was everywhere

jason "clarification" atkins

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Hey Alex:

Thanks. These bass lines are substantially different from the original...if I'm going to change the bass line, I'm making it a habit to dump it all to disk so I can give it a good listen (as a music listener, not a music player). Especially when we don't get a rehearsal beforehand, I'm trying to make sure that what I'm doing still serves the song, and that's awefully hard to do without giving it a good listen when I'm NOT playing along with it.

So, I ended up simplifying the 1st song a bit...kept the busier bass line toward the end because that seemed to help bring the excitement level of the song up.

The music pastor/worship leader/rhythm guitarist/vocalist really doesn't seem to like slap much...he asked me to play the last song finger-picked rather than slapped (even after I had dropped all the highs out to make it sit better with the overall mix!). I of course obliged his request. I really don't agree, but I'm playing in church to serve and I'll follow the music pastor's requests regardless of whether I personally agree with them or not. It sure seemed like the last song just didn't groove as much finger-picked versus slapped (not nearly as much attack), but that is merely my opinion. It's really not at all an ego thing or "look at me" syndrom here...I truly feel like it sounded better slapped. But, I'm also mature enough to realize what I think serves the song the best and what someone else things serves the song the best may very well be different. And there ya go. All things said, I'm just pleased to be playing on a regular basis, and I really enjoy learning all these different sub-genres every couple of weeks...

Thanks for all the comments, folks...much appreciated. I see this as a really good "sounding board" (pun intended)...if another bassist says "that's too busy", etc., then that carries a lot of weight for me...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

i feel you on that slap thing. Sometimes i'm reluctant to introduce slap into a song. It is something that draws attention to the bassist whether they like it or not, simply b/c it isn't something that most are used to hearing.

Do the other bassists at your church slap?

But in the case of the second song, it was like "you were slapping...yes...but was it taking anything away from the song or it's message? no". If i weren't a bass player i wouldn't have even noticed that you were slapping b/c you were that much locked in.

but this is just me.

jason

Soli Deo Gloria

My YouTube Channel

I usually won't hesitate to use my thumb, but I am careful about the "slap". Alot of times the pop does not belong, but the thumb does. Like Vic says "The thumb is just another way of strinking the string", he's right. When it serves the song I do love laying down the funk, and that includes the pop, tap, hammer-on, and whatever I can use to get what I feel into my hands! :D

Archived