Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lightweight bass with MM SR5 sound?

Gruuve

This is a way out in left field off topic, but today I was day-dreaming about making a maple neck-thru carbon fiber body bass. The body wings would either be carbon over foam, or carbon over spruce.

Don't know how it'll sound, but I bet it'll be lighter.

But my main axe is less than 9 lbs so weight isn't really an issue.

And my lightest child is over 40 lbs.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is this!

Are you some kinda' weeny, spaghetti-armed guitarist!

NO! You're a BASSPLAYER!

Suck it up and play!!

I read all the posts (for a change) and it is clear to me that this is the best advice.

BTW - 3 set night? What is that?

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

oh man... I would kill for a Stingray right now. I think the heaviness of it really does contribute to the tone. It's true that with good electronics you can get pretty close to that sound, but nothing can do Stingray like a Stingray. I would say practice longer, get used to the weight, and use a wider strap. Obviously if it is causing physical damage you need to change the bass, but otherwise that's what I'd do. I've got a super light bass right now, and trust me, they're not all they're cut out to be.

Originally posted by mattulator:

BTW - 3 set night? What is that?

Back in the day, they'd make us play from 9 to closing. Sometimes that was 4 long sets. The last set would end up being something of a "greatest hits" set.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Obviously you like your SR5. People are suggesting different straps. I think this should be your first question to answer. I use a Comfort Strapp with my SR4. I would like to see if anyone tried The Slider. It looks like a pair of suspenders but it is supposed to distribute the weight over both shoulders and your back,which is about 4lbs each. This is better than 11 lbs over one shoulder. Anyone?

He he...I'm not going to modify my current Stingray5...no way!

I've run into a fellow (not on this MB) selling a 1994 or so Modulus Quantum Q5 Sweetspot (the model with only one humbucking pickup). He claims he can get it to sound just like a MM...I said "prove it", so I'm waiting on him to send me some MP3 files. If he delivers, I might very well pick this guy up...we'll see...

Actually, I'd really like to be able to hit a sound similar to the MM (doesn't have to be exactly the same), plus maybe a few other sounds that the MM can't do.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived