Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lightweight bass with MM SR5 sound?

Gruuve

Hey folks:

Man, my shoulder hurts. I was practicing for several hours learning 4 tunes for church this week, and my left shoulder is killing me now. I really like how my Musicman Stingray5 sounds, but this sucker weighs 10-11 lbs or so...it gets heavy after a while. There's got to be a lighter bass out there that has a similar sound (and similar flexibility in the sounds you can get out of it). While I'm throwing out a wish list, let's make it very lightweight (like in 6 or 7 lbs, maybe even 5 lbs...), slightly wider string spacing (like in 2 7/8" at 24th fret rather than 2 3/4" like the MM), slightly less thick neck, button to switch between active and passive modes, and perfect balance (the MM is a just a tad neck-heavy). Street price should be around the $1000-1500 (less is fine, but not to the point of compromising sound, features, or finish details, etc.), don't care if it's new or excellent used condition.

What brands and models fit this bill? A few come to mind for me, but I want to see what folks add that I haven't even thought of...

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I once read a story about chris squire's rick. It stated that before he even joined yes he was playing in psychedelic bands. He put flower patches on his bass and when he took the rick to a repairperson the guy shaved off a third of the bass! If you do this to your ray you will lose some mass and therfore some low end, but the stingray's active eq should make up for this. This si pretty crazy, but if you really like the bass( as in you will never sell it, as in bad resale value), but hate the weight...do it. ;)
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

What is this!

Are you some kinda' weeny, spaghetti-armed guitarist! :evil:

NO! You're a BASSPLAYER!

Suck it up and play!!

:D:D:D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by basshappi:

What is this!

NO! You're a BASSPLAYER!

Suck it up and play!!

COMPANY EH HA
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by Nicklab:

Have you considered a different strap? It may help with your problem. Try something that's a good deal softer. I've used comfort straps, and those really helped a lot with some weighty basses.

I would suggest Franklin for a strap thats thinner, or moody 4" straps. I met the lady behind the company at a guitar show (very kind), that's some soft leather right there. Also they are very wide and thick and you can get them with suede or leather on the bottom layer.

The Ibanez SRX505 is extremely light (basswood body) and has a really comfy neck. Unfortunately, the string spacing is not what you are looking for. Here are two sound samples of it.

driven:

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/huntforpopcorn.wav

and layed back:

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/huntforgunn.wav

I like the pups, the electronics have too much boost so it's a bit touchy when trying to get your sound live. The neck is incredably comfy for a 5'ver and the hardware is good. Runs just over $500. It weighs less than any of my other basses, probably aout 7 lbs.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

my friends swamp ash carvin is really light, and has pretty wide string spacing. this is a 4 string, but im sure the five wouldnt be too different. They have the MM and jazz pickup set and active electronics, so Im sure you could get the sound you want. It might be kind of hard for you to try one out, but with the factory direct ordering, they can be a great deal.
We distort. You abide.

I know many people on this forum love carvins, but............let's say I had many bad experiences with mine. :(:bor:

How about a Lakland Skyline 55-02. It's lighter, sounds better than the MM-5 (IMO), it is more versatile, and the price lands around $1100. The neck on this model is very comforitable, but the string spacing is not what you want. Try it out, it may be what you are looking for.

Originally posted by Prague:

Originally posted by basshappi:

What is this!

NO! You're a BASSPLAYER!

Suck it up and play!!

And don't have children. I hear they can weigh even 13 lbs !!!
Too late! :eek: My 2 yr old daughter :love: doesn't have me carrying her for 3 hours straight though! ;)

Man, you guys won't let me get away with anything...not even "covert GAS"! Come on, I just need any excuse I can find to pick up a new fish.... :thu:

One that came to mind for me was the Moses Graphite Key Bass I played recently. I really liked everything but the weird look of the aluminum rails...plus it kind of blows the budget at $1800 or so.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I have a fretless 'Ray5. I love it. It is a bit on the heavy side, but it's certainly manageable. A nice strap -- wide and/or well-padded -- can really make a difference, too. I just got a Comfort Strapp and it's awesome.

Part of the strength of this bass, I believe, is its preamp. It's well voiced and powerful.

I also wonder if some of the delightful tone of StingRays comes from their weight. Or, to put it as a question: Is a heavy slab o' wood (almost always ash in these basses) a contributor to the overall 'Ray sound?

While I appreciate a lighter weight bass, I've found that I don't like super-light basses. I still want to feel the weight of the bass -- at least a little. I'm appreciating my new bass because while it's lighter than my StingRay5, it's not too light and the upper horn is slightly longer than that of my 'Ray which seems to help with the instrument balance.

I did play Whappo's 5-string Bee bass a couple of summers ago. I believe that had the Seymour Duncan MM pickup and their MM-style active preamp. It was definitely lightweight, and had a great ballsy sound. However, I don't think you can get a Bee for between $1000 and $1500 (maybe close to $1500 though). However, a bass w/ that SD pickup and preamp in an ash body might move you in the right direction.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

You could swap out the neck with a Status graphite neck, if am right they are lighter right? here check them out here also its only $470

The basses

-'04 MIM Jazz bass black

-'98 Fender American-Deluxe P-bass natural

-Peavey FuryII blue

Shameless Warwick plug....

You can get a Corvette Standard, Corv. ProLine, Thumb (bolt-on), or Streamer Pro M. All weigh under 9 lbs (not featherweight, but lighter) and have 2.72" at the 24th fret.

Or you can go with a Wideneck Thumb Bolt-On or Streamer LX Wideneck. These both weigh in at 9.02 lbs and measure 3.23" at the 24th fret.

My personal recommendation would be the Streamer LX Wideneck, HERE for $1300 used.

Check HERE for more detailed specs.

Get a MusicMan Sterling. It's smaller and lighter than the Stingray and sounds almost the same. But of course it only has four strings.

You might want to try cutting pieces off the body. Off course that is not something you can reverse if you change your mind.

I don't have problems with basses, but I can't carry my son around. But then on the other hand, he is 6'5" and weighs 195 lbs.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Get a MusicMan Sterling. It's smaller and lighter than the Stingray and sounds almost the same. But of course it only has four strings.

You might want to try cutting pieces off the body. Off course that is not something you can reverse if you change your mind.

I don't have problems with basses, but I can't carry my son around. But then on the other hand, he is 6'5" and weighs 195 lbs.

no 5 string sterling :(

If you're willing to take the plunge, listen to Jeremy.

Do something ala Pedulla's Rapture and have someone rout the "excess" wood under the pickguard. If you've ever handled a Pedulla Rapture, it is indeed nice and light.

I also use a Comfort Strapp and would gladly endorse it as a wonderful product.

I also own a Warwick Streamer Pro-M (4 string) that has a pickup(s) in the MM position; the bass does not sound like a MM/SR.

Originally posted by lug:

The 5-string StingRay is arguably more like a 5-string version of a Sterling than a 5-string version of a StingRay.

The 'Ray5 has the same electronics as the Sterling -- notably the 3-way coil selector switch. It has tighter string spacing than the 'Ray4 -- more like the Sterling.

Just get yourself a killer strap and keep chuggin' on that 'Ray5, Dave!

Peace.

--Doc Luv

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

The 5-string StingRay is arguably more like a 5-string version of a Sterling than a 5-string version of a StingRay.

The 'Ray5 has the same electronics as the Sterling -- notably the 3-way coil selector switch. It has tighter string spacing than the 'Ray4 -- more like the Sterling.

Just get yourself a killer strap and keep chuggin' on that 'Ray5, Dave!

Peace.

--Doc Luv

Yup, but I was refering to the smaller, lighter body.

I use a Kepur strap. The widest one they make. They have two different materials. One that grips on your shirt,and one thats slidey. They are a bit stiff at first,but they distribute weight in a way that is very comfortable. They don't stretch,tear,or collect funky smells and they grip the buttons so tightly that I quit using straplocks. Super nice.

get a bongo!

weighing in at 9 lbs. makes it a little lighter. i've had no comfort problems lugging mine around, but i have a 4-string which may make a difference. spacing is 2 13/16" at the 24th fret on the 5-string, making a slight improvement upon the stingray. plus, it has the stingray electronics and them some, so you can probably get the tone you're looking for as well as a few more. i believe the price falls in your range, too.

and it looks damn awesome. the string spacing and instrument weight aren't quite up to your ideal, but if the sound is really important to you, the bongo makes a good compromise.

is it just me, or is there some more gravity?

Originally posted by NV43345:

What about an OLP,The body is Basswood.and they do make a 5 string.

Good idea, upgrade the electronics/bridge and Viola!....light, decent sounding bass.

Also try out the newer G&L 2500. They recently went to a Basswood body with an Swamp Ash top to reduce weight. I believe the string spacing is wide as well.

Also try out the newer G&L 2500. They recently went to a Basswood body with an Swamp Ash top to reduce weight. I believe the string spacing is wide as well.

edit: the standard G&L Tributes are also Basswood, have the same electronics and are significantly cheaper.

The OLP idea might be tough. I have both poplar and elm (natural) ones here and they are both over 10 pounds. The neck pockets aren't really cut as clean,either,although they aren't bad. It looks to me like both the basses pictured have skinny,garden variety straps on 'em. Id try the comfortable strap route first.

Archived