Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz bass PU replacment

bassarama19

Hey guys im just wondering about replacing some stock MIM jazz bass PU's with something else that dosent involve a lot of routing. The tone im looking for is something with a low midrange focus. I like that sorta nasally jaco esque bridge pickup only sound, except with a little more low end, im thinking some sort of active PU but I dont know.
THE ace of bass

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really think about what you don't like about your current pickups. Really think about whether the cause is truly the pickups.

bassarama: Jaco tone w/ more low end? Try bridge pickup full volume, neck pickup at 25-50% and roll the tone off to taste (maybe 75%). Also experiment with where the fingers of your right hand are striking the strings -- move further from the bridge and closer to the neck.

All that is to say that it would be worth experimenting some more.

ED: What don't you like about your current MIA J p'ups? What do you hope to gain from a switch? I have Barts in my Carvin. They're very nice.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Willie...

I like the 'tone' of my Jazz a lot, but I miss the bite and immediacy of the EMGs that are in my Spector when I play it.

I'm actually quite happy with the tone I get from the stock passives in my Jazz, by having both pickups wide open, and the tone wide open, too. I play fingerstyle, directly over the neck pickup.

If I could just get that extra bit of, what I can only describe as, more focused 'attack' I can hear and feel while playing my Spector, then I'd have it all.

I'm not really unhappy with the tone of either of my basses, just would be nice to have the 'best of both worlds', if that's possible.

ED: Some of that "focus" on your Spector is related to the pickup placement -- the neck pickup is closer to the bridge than it is on your jazz. (See also: Sadowsky 24-fret basses for similar pickup placement). Also, if you haven't already, try turning down your neck pickup a bit and playing closer to or over the bridge pickup.

I don't know if replacing the pickups will really help you get where you want to go. It may be worth it to experiment even more with hand placement, on-board controls, and even your amps' EQ sections.

Also, you could go with an on-board active preamp w/ passive option that can "drop in" your J bass -- for example, Sadowsky or Alleva-Coppolo 2-bands or a J-Retro 3-band from John East. That would do more than the pickup replacement, albeit at a higher cost.

Does your Spector have an active preamp? I know many of their models do. If so, how do you usually set it?

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Willie...

I'll try your suggestions. Although I have tried many of them already.

The pickups in my Korean Q4 Spector Pro Series are EMG HZs. It has what I always considered 'an active pre-amp', but have since been told that the pre-amp circuitry I see inside my bass when I replace the battery, is not actually an active pre-amp. So while were at it, can anyone tell me WHAT all that circuity inside my Spector is, if it's not a pre-amp? This has always confused me. There's more circuitry in there than what's inside my Fishman pre-amp that I use with my acoustic guitar.

i have a similar project going right now. MIM Fender Jazz. I put a set of the EMG J-pickups in mine and it sounds great. I also put a badass II bridge and a new nut on. the emg pickups come prewired and are a snap to put in your bass and sound awesome, the only tricky part is finding enough room to safely store the battery in the electronics compartment.

I've actually been meaning to make a post about looking for a good replacement set of tuning keys, anyone got any suggestions for a replacement set of tuning keys that would work well on my lefty jazz bass?

please check out my bands....

www.myspace.com/regretmn

www.hopeyouchoke.net

I have a '91 MIA Jazz and an '04 euro4 spector.

I can get a great jaco tone out of the jazz. I get a decent one out of the spector but that bass is reserved more for heavy metal and hard rock. I could take either bass and get the sound I want out of them, and they would both have their unique differences and characteristics.

On the Jazz I roll the neck pickup down all the way, bridge pickup maxed, tone rolled down to about 10%. As Sweet Willie said before, for more beef add some neck P/U.

I'm thinking of replacing my jazz P/U's too. I like growl and warm tone...so a trip to basstasters.com is in order.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Archived