Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Send advice this way

E Locrian

I have some general questions here, mostly pertaining to gigging.

I'll give you some background on myself (to skip, move on to the next paragraph). I'm 19 now and I've played bass on and off since I was in junior high school. I can play reasonably well (another Geddy fan :cool: ), including some "tricks" like tapping. I'm white, so slapping isn't really my forte ;) though I know the basics. Lately, I've been into learning theory. I can read and I understand the basic stuff like chord/scale construction and creating/moving through progressions.

Okay, on to the questions. :idea:

- Tom R.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by E Locrian:

What sort of songs tend to be the best for general club gigs?

Songs people know :D Tricky, ain't it? Over here, the 'older' bands play the usual stuff like Black Night, Radar Love, Doctor Doctor, Bad Case Of Loving You ... and a lot of Status Quo :freak:

Depends on the gig, the target audience and the club, I'd say. But then again, what do I know :D

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I'm white, so slapping isn't really my forte

I wonder if Les Claypool, or Flea realize this?

Your best bet on advise on an amp is to use the search function, but in general, for playing out a 300w head and a 4 x 10 is good for most situations.

I use 2 2 x10's so I don't have to bring them both if I don't need to.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

In the bars/pubs were I gig we play everything from Kenny Rodgers to ACDC to Metallica to Garth Brooks to ABBA. It depends on our audience, the bar, how late in the night it is and what mood we're in. My advice would be to go to the places you want to play in and see what goes down, that should inform your set. That was a dumb ass comment regarding the slap issue - Stu Hamm, Jonas Hellborg, Nick Beggs. Technique is not connected to racial or ethnic background.

Seamy

I'd say use the search tool (upper right of your screen in small blue letters) for the amp. There are plenty of threads available that pertain to that. Your options are head + cab, combo, preamp/poweramp + cab. Once you have a more general idea of what you want, revisit that.

As for what songs to play... join a band or start one and then figure out what you all want to do.

You get a lot of volume for your dollar with Gallien Krueger amplifiers.

A lot of people like the new line of Carvin amps. I personally think they have too many "bell and whistle" features, but they are competitively priced.

Whatever you decide on, I'd recommend something with at least 300 watts and 2 10-inch speakers. 10" speakers tend to sound clearer than 15's when going up against the onslaught of drums and guitars.

Small amps with 100 watts or less won't be good for much except practicing in your bedroom or garage. Bass amps need three times the power of guitar amps to be competitive in volume.

Hope this helps.

If you are planning to start a band, I would recommend buying a PA. Doesn't need to be anything big, but you need enough to rehearse vocals with (IE. small mixer/amp, 2 or 3 mics, cables, mic stands & monitors).

Regardless of how much we as musicians are into are own particular instruments, the audience is going to be primarily concerned with hearing singer(s) (That is, unless you plan to be the next Ventures, Laika and the Cosmonauts or Los StraitJackets).

Owning the PA will eliminate a lot of grief that can come up when you are part of a band. You don't have to worry about the PA going away or being divied up if someone quits. You can also usually set the general direction of the band as well (or even be a jerk dictator if you want :D ).

My 2 cents.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

E Loc:

I have two Carvin RL-410T's for sale at the moment, if you're interested. Good as new and good price. www.ipass.net/davesisk/forsale/CarvinBassCabs.JPG

Thanks for clearing me up on the slapping thing...I'm white, so I reckon I better stop... :freak: . Anyway, worst case find some other folks to jam with, and see where it takes you. If there's any clubs that have open mic night, go check those out as well. See how everything works, then bring your bass one night. You might also meet some folks there to jam with. Check your local music stores for listings for "bassist wanted", etc...

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Dave

Originally posted by 73 P Bass:

I'm white, so slapping isn't really my forte

Your best bet on advise on an amp is to use the search function, but in general, for playing out a 300w head and a 4 x 10 is good for most situations.

I use 2 2 x10's so I don't have to bring them both if I don't need to.

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by 73 P Bass:

[qb] I'm white, so slapping isn't really my forte

QB]

I wonder ed friedland realized this.

ed: "i may as well quit right now...since i'm white and all"

i wonder if the ever so funky wraub knows this as well?

peace,

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

I'll give you some background on myself (to skip, move on to the next paragraph). I'm 19 now and I've played bass on and off since I was in junior high school.

This could be your first stumbling block. Playing clubs could be an issue since you're under 21. Some places just will not let you in if they're serving alcohol on the premises, whether you're in the band or not. Seeking out people your own age might be on of the first things you start considering, since they'll have to seek out places where underage people can play.

I can play reasonably well (another Geddy fan :cool: ), including some "tricks" like tapping. I'm white, so slapping isn't really my forte ;) though I know the basics.

This is ignorant and borderline racist. Not cool. If you're serious about music in general, you're eventually going to come across a broad spectrum of people from a variety of backgrounds. So there's no need to be judgemental. As for certain people having the funk or not, check out Francis "Rocco" Prestia of Tower of Power and tell me that the guy isn't funky.

- What gear would be appropriate/necessary? I own a good bass (American Jazz V), but I'm somewhat lost when it comes to amplifiers. Any suggestions for a person who doesn't have a great amount of income? If it depends on the situation, can I please have a general overview? What about other gear necessities?

As a lot of people said, an amp head that's around 300 watts and at least a 1 x15" cab or 2 x 10" cab should serve your purposes at a minimum. Don't be afraid to look for something used since you could get a decent deal. Just try to have an idea of what something is worth and what kind of condition it's in before you buy second-hand gear. Also have a good tuner and reliable instrument cables.

A reliable car or some other accessible mode of transportation is all too often overlooked by a lot of musicians. But seriously, who wants to play with someone who needs a ride everywhere?

- What sort of songs tend to be the best for general club gigs? If we're in a metal club, then we know that "Brown-Eyed Girl" is a must (right guys?), but what are some good song types to have in one's repertoire?

The repertoire of music is going to totally depend on who you hook up with. A crucial set of questions about putting your own project together are these:

-Do you have your own material, or do you want to play covers?

-What kind of material is it?

-Who will the singer be? Is it you?

There are really a ton of variables. If you're trying to get into an existing band, then you should try to find out what they're playing and try to learn some of the material before you try out for them. If you're looking for musicians to work with in general, don't hesitate to look online at http://www.craigslist.org .

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Go out and Jam and sit in with as many bands that will let you.When I was a kid,I used to sit in

with my dad's band and one night we were playing and he pointed to me and said go........and man I

played my a$$ off.I pretty much learned how to

play right there in front of everyone.You should

be able to find some blues jams in your area and

just start networking from there,once you hook up

with the other local Bass players they will take

care of you and let you sit in. As Bass players

were a pretty tight family,and we tend to stick

together more than other Musicians.You will build

your self confidence,and learn alot of songs along the way. :)

Well, I got a good amount of help here... and some flames. Anyway, sorry about the off-color joke (no pun intended), I didn't mean it seriously at all. I am aware of Stu Hamm, Ed Friedland, and plenty of other white guys who can do it. Like I said, it was simply a joke, so please don't fly off the handle. I'm no racist (plenty of non-white friends), so don't take it that way. When you're in college, it comes second-nature.

Anyway, I got the information I wanted, and I extend my thanks to anyone who decided to give me some (even if they followed it with a flame). But, given the response I got, maybe you guys would prefer if I just disappeared. Maybe I'll just continue to lurk...

- Tom R.

Don't worry E Locrian. I personally thought your remark about whiteness and thumbstyle playing wasn't anything to get into a twist over. Sometimes newcomers get raked over the coals here.

Hope you stick around.

well, if you want some good theory insight, search for "Theory" and look for a Topic Started By Jeremyc, it's a whole J-Lo butt load of Theory stuff.

Slap can be for many people, but i know what you mean.

Here's a list from this Forum of good songs to know (not all of them required though)

Standards/Big Band/Swing

All The Things You Are

Beyond The Sea

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

Come Fly With Me

Fly Me To The Moon

I Get A Kick Out Of You

It Had To Be You

Ill Take Manhattan

Ive Got You Under My Skin

Jump Jive An Wail

Just A Giggolo

Little Brown Jug

Mack The Knife

Moonlight Seranade

New York New York

Night & Day

Orange Colored Sky

Our Love Is Here To Stay

Satin Doll

Summer Wind

The Way You Look Tonight

What A Wonderful World

Witchcraft

Doo Wop/1950s

Blue Suede Shoes

Cant Help Falling In Love

Daddys Home

Great Balls of Fire

I Only Have Eyes For You

In The Still of the Night

Johnny B. Goode

Pretty Woman

Sea of Love

Since I Dont Have You

Since I Fell For You

Stand By Me

Tears On My Pillow

The Lion Sleeps Tonight

The Twist

Unchained Melody

Under The Boardwalk

You Send Me

Motown/Soul

ABC

Aint Too Proud To Beg

Dance To The Music

Dancin In The Street

Dock Of The Bay

I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)

I Heard It Through The Grapevine

I Feel Good

I Want You Back

Knock On Wood

Mustang Sally

My Girl

Respect

Same Old Song

Soul Man

Stop In The Name Of Love

Whats Goin On

Dance Rock/Reggae

Brown Eyed Girl

Brown Sugar

Devil With A Blue Dress

Do You Love Me

Honky Tonk Woman

I Saw Her Standing There

I Shot The Sherriff

I Wanna Be Sedated

Jumpin Jack Flash

Oh What A Night

Moondance

Red Red Wine

Satisfaction

Stir It Up

Sweet Caroline

Twist & Shout

Classic 1970s Disco/Rhythm & Blues

Aint No Stoppin Us Now

Bad Girls

Best Of My Love

Boogie Oogie Oogie

Brick House

Cant Get Enough Of Your Love

Copacabana

Dancing Queen

Disco Inferno

Dont Leave Me This Way

Get Down Tonight

Hot Stuff

Its Raining Men

Lady Marmalade

Ladies Night

Last Dance

Le Freak

Lets Groove Tonight

On The Radio

Play That Funky Music

September

Shake Your Booty

Shame

Thats The Way I Like It

To Be Real

Turn The Beat Around

You Should Be Dancin

1980s

A Little Respect

Addicted To Love

Beat It

Billie Jean

Borderline

Centerfold

Come On Eileen

Dont You Want Me

Faith

Holiday

Hungry Like the Wolf

Kiss

Lets Dance

Like A Prayer

Livin On A Prayer

New Sensation

Tainted Love

What I Like About You

Club Dance/Top 40

Cant Get You Out Of My Head

Crazy In Love

Get This Party Started

Heaven (Remix)

Hot In Here

I Need To Know

Lets Get Loud

Love At First Sight

One More Time

Remedy

Rock Your Body

Say A Little Prayer

Shake Your Tail Feather

Whenever Wherever

Ballads

All I Ask Of You

Always & Forever

At Last

Beautiful In My Eyes

Breathe

Can You Feel The Love Tonight

Crazy Love

(Everything I Do) I Do For You

For The First Time

From This Moment On

How Deep Is Your Love

I Finally Found Someone

I Hope You Dance

Ill Always Love You

New York State Of Mind

Something About The Way You Look Tonight

The Way You Look Tonight

Unforgettable

Wonderful Tonight

You Are So Beautiful To Me

Your Song

Youre Still The One

Standards

Green Dolphin St.

Autumn Leaves

Satin doll

A Train

Fly Me to the Moon

September Song

Speak Low

Bye Bye Blackbird

Without a Song

No Greater Love

But Not For Me

I Love You

Lover

If I Were A Bell

Weaver of Dreams

Sunny Side of the Street

I'll Remember April

All the Things You Are

With a Song in My Heart

Night and Day

Just One of Those Things

You and the Night and the Music

You're My Everything

Yours is My Heart Alone

I Thought About You

Fools Rush In

Alone Together

Invitation

The Song Is You

You Stepped Out of a Dream

Star Eyes

My Secret Love -continued-

All or Nothing at All

Witchcraft

There Will Never Be Another You

The Night Has a Thousand Eyes

When the Lights are Low

I'm Old Fashioned

Why Do I Love You?

The Way You Look Tonight

Come Rain or Come Shine

A Foggy Day

Have You Met Miss Jones

Old Devil Moon

Sweet Georgia Brown

It's You or No One

Latin

Girl From Ipanema

Desifinado

Little Boat

Wave

One Note Samba

Summer Samba

Black Orpheus

Song for My Father

Nica's Dream

Shadow of Your Smile

Tea For Two

Be-Bop Tunes

Donna Lee

Au Privave

Billie's Bounce

Confirmation

Thriving From a Riff (Anthropology)

Afternoon in Paris

3/4

Someday My Prince Will Come

My Favorite Things

Tenderly

Bluesette

Up Jumped Spring

Jazz Tunes

Along Came Betty

Stablemates

Giant Steps

Moment's Notice

Lady Bird

Lazy Bird

Four

A Night in Tunisia

Minority

Bolivia

Ballads

Misty

Blue in Green

Body and Soul

What's New?

Lover Man

Round Midnight

My Romance

When I Fall in Love

Sentimental Mood

Sophisticated Lady

Moonlight in Vermont

Prelude to a Kiss

Georgia

Flamingo

When Sunny Gets Blue

My One and Only Love

Embraceable You

Autumn in New York

Once in a While

Over the Rainbow

Blue Moon

I Left My Heart in San Francisco

Spring is Here

Laura

Stormy Weather

Stardust

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

Foolish Heart

It Might as Well be Spring

Yesterdays

I Can't Get Started

Learn all of those, and you will be the best Bar/Party bassist ever. ;)

I would go with a 2x10, or 4x10 Carvin, Ampeg, Peavy, and SWR are some good brands to look into if your on a tight Budget. Also, a good head is a major part of a rig. try looking at the above brands Amplifiers. Or, you can go with a good Ampeg or Cervin Combo. :D

Good Luck

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

Hey E Locrian, Welcome to the Lowdown. Please don't be put off by a little bit of flameing. I percieved your comments to be lighthearted, in fact I could be the posterchild for "White Men Can't Slap" and have even said so to my teacher. Using an emoticon is a good idea if you think someone might misunderstand your intention.

Stay and play!

As to gear you have recieved plenty of good advice and much can be gleaned from past threads by using the "search" function, but it can be tricky to get the exact info you may be looking for, so there is never any harm in asking as you have done.

I will second the "used gear" search especially if you are really strapped for cash. Furthermore,I will recommend looking at Peavey gear(I'm one of the few resident Peavey advocates around here :D )You can usually find used Peavey bass amps at dirt cheap prices, they are decent sounding, powerful and built like a tank!I still use my Peavey Bass MkIV (22 years now). You can probably find some locally and check ebay too, as it is a good way to determine the average value of gear.

Good luck and enjoy the search, that's more than half the fun! :thu:

Cheers

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by basshappi:

Using an emoticon is a good idea if you think someone might misunderstand your intention.

Maybe we should come up with some new punctuation... maybe a sarcastic mark would do the job! I wonder how that would look...

Maybe

~* or

S

Anyway, I want to thank everyone again for the info. The list of songs is quite exhaustive... maybe I'll learn 'em this weekend. ;) The amp answers are way helpful! I've been lurking for a little while and I would not have asked if I could find all the answers via search. So thanks, guys!

:thu:

- Tom R.

Yeah BGO, but only if he can play em in any given key
Very good point, lol.

Hey eddie, how old are you (sorry, it's a random question)?

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

I will make an attempt to look for and join an existing band. How do you guys think I should prepare for the audition(s)? Find out the band's style/inspirations and learn appropriate songs? Should I have a good amp before even auditioning? Or perhaps I should wait and check what gear the existing band has. Could one rent the necessary equipment for a reasonable fee?

I hate to seem dumb, but I'd rather know this stuff ahead of time. :D

- Tom R.

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

Just to manage your expectations about yourself though, realize that everyone thinks they play pretty well when they woodshed...when they go play with other people, often they realize they don't play as well as they thought they did.

haha too true. I suffer from no delusions of grandeur... I don't expect to get up on stage for the first time and play like John Paul Jones. I have a decent sense of time when I practice with others (which ends up being very important when a drummer or his drum set is not available). But I'll definitely try to keep it manageable. :freak:
- Tom R.

That was a good list of songs to know. What I did for searching for songs to know was go to some wedding band website, and check out what they were playing.

My advice to you is to SING. If you can play your instrument AND sing decently, everyone will love you (in my opinion.) Don't worry about singing lead (but that'd be cool too), just make sure you can sing harmony so your band can nail that "Wayward son" cover.

How do you guys think I should prepare for the audition(s)?

E, do a search on this site with "auditions" as key word, there should be a few threads that'll give you some insight :)

And read this thread I once started .

Final word of advice : do NOT show up drunk or hung over from the night before! Granted, worked for me once :D but I wouldn't recommend it :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I will make an attempt to look for and join an existing band. How do you guys think I should prepare for the audition(s)? Find out the band's style/inspirations and learn appropriate songs? Should I have a good amp before even auditioning? Or perhaps I should wait and check what gear the existing band has. Could one rent the necessary equipment for a reasonable fee?

I hate to seem dumb, but I'd rather know this stuff ahead of time. :D

I'd have a rig before auditioning. Going in without one might seem unprofessional.

Some bands will have a CD of tunes they'll give you to prepare for the audition. Sometimes they'll suggest songs to learn.

Other times they'll just ask to come in cold.

I've auditioned at rental studios that are equipped with a choice of rigs, drums, PA and even instruments.

So I guess it varies.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Place an ad and try to find people you like and get along with, and try and jam with more experienced/talented people. It would push you to learn at a greater rate, I think.

Some people are hard to get along with, but necessary. Learn to deal with that, too.

If you act humble and don't offend anyone with your playing, then it should be alright. And remember to stay in time, don't get drunk at gigs, do your homework.

Goodluck.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

i'd say get a rig before you go to an audition, this makes you look more independent. a musician should have his own basic material. go second-hand, cheaper and trustworthy (test it before you buy it!). don't buy a combo, too heavy to carry at once and sometimes too large to put in the car, buy seperate head and speaker, easier and later you can upgrade your material one at a time. a 4 x 10" tends to have more clarity, a 1 x 15" has more fatty bottom but has a somewhat slurry sound (and i mean that in a good way).

preparing for an audition? i'd say play with many different people, even when you're in a group. it helps to train your ear to hear the whole instead of thinking about your playing. it's a group effort. it also helps to put you at your ease. you've got nothing to lose, so why don't you relax in an audition. you play better and you listen better. you can also first have a drink and a chat with the auditioning band, just to get to know them. if you like the people you play music with, you play better (well, i do anyway).

oh, and buy a tuning pedal which you can mute with your foot. i don't have one (i have a boss tu-12h so i can also tune my acoustic instruments) but boy, i wish i did...

my 2 cents. good luck! :thu:

Archived