Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A few Slightly OT questions...

Bass_god_offspring

Cool bass, funny looking player.

I saw the offspring play live once, and while the drummer was pounding away and the guitar player and singer are going crazy, the bass player is just kind of standing there....swaying back and forth, like a pendulum....

Those sims led's he had were cool though.

Lucky Ba$$tard!

i wish i could have seen the Offspring live by now, though i might be able to see them when the play on the warped tour this year. :D

I really love the LED's he has, i wish i were rich enough to have some of those, oh well. The main reason i got my ATK 300 was becuase of Greg K. (The bassist in the pic) and the cool sound of the bass. now to re-finish it and put some LED's. :D

Probably $50 bucks I'd guess, but only do it if you're sure you won't want to sell the bass later, as it will significantly lower the price you'll get.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really??? why would it lower the price????

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bass_god_offspring:

[QB]

Lucky Ba$$tard!

i wish i could have seen the Offspring live by now, though i might be able to see them when the play on the warped tour this year. :D

I really love the LED's he has, i wish i were rich enough to have some of those, oh well. The main reason i got my ATK 300 was becuase of Greg K. (The bassist in the pic) and the cool sound of the bass. now to re-finish it and put some LED's. :D

QB]

If you can see the offspring at the warped tour that's all the better. I saw a lot of bands that fit into that category of pop-punk-rock in my earlier days. Almost all of them play the same set every time, and even when you see them for the first time it just gets boring after and hour of (usually) formulaic songs( there are a LOT of exceptions...unfortunately, more likely at smaller stages). AT the warped, however, there are enough bands to please anyone, and if you go during a good year you can catch good tunes, good musicianship, good times, and horrible food all in the same day.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

I'm gonna be puttin LEDs in my bass :)
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

quote:

Here's a few questions that have been nagging me lately...

1.) The other day at band practice, whenever i touched my lips to the mic it seemed to be shocking me. It was painful but i managed to get through the night. anyone know why this is? (It was a powered Berhinger Speaker through a Shrue Mic)

:freak: I learned every song and started playing with a pick on a regular basis. Very cool metal grooves.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

OH MAN. OUCH! You went through the whole night like that? Dude, you're a trooper. Long live rock n roll.

ON a serious note, your bass would look cool refinished orange. I personally prefer sunburst or dark colored axes, myself, and I like to see the grain of the wood.

The Offspring rocks. I remember when they first came out I learned every song and started playing with a pick on a regular basis. Very cool metal grooves.

Oh yeah, you've probably realized that i like them due to my Screen name. I've really wanted my bass that color orange for a while, i've just never had the money to do it. I really wish i had a Jazz Pickup near the bridge like the ATK 400 (i have the 300) becuase i think it'd add a little bit more variety to the bass.

Since my bass's body has active electronics and the knobs are set into the body (unlike Fender Jazz's and P's), so i am wondering if i could leave those on to get it re-finished? :confused:

Also, i'm trying to figure out how i could specify the color exactly, hummmm....

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

I don't know where someone got a $50 figure, this is the first thing I found:

Refinishing:

Price list for The Twelfth Fret in Toronto.

Touchups - Impossible to generalize but are usually $50.00 and up

High gloss finish to neck only - $200.00 to $300.00

High gloss finish to Fender style body - $500.00 to $700.00

High gloss finish - Entire guitar - $1000.00 to $1500.00

Stripping and prepping ADD - $200.00 to $300.00

Satin finishes - Generally 50% of High gloss charges

Oil finishes - $50.00 to $100.00

Custom colour mixing - $50.00/hour

That's as much as you spent on your bass!

The bass will have to be taken apart. That means all the hardware and the neck comes off. Paint stripper and sanding will remove the old finish. This is a very labor intensive process. Then the new finish will have to be sprayed on and dried.

There may be multiple coats of finish with rubbing and sanding between coats.

A new finish can possibly change the sound of an instrument.

This is not a decision to be made lightly.

I think it would be a lot easier to order a new bass in the color you want than to go through all this.

I think it would be a lot easier to order a new bass in the color you want than to go through all this.

true, lol, but where would i be able to find a bright orange bass? lol

:)

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

are we talking black pg with matching headstock and ebony board with no inlays...not too mention black badd ass bridge.....louder.............if so i donty want to come within one mile of one of yourn shows...i bet you dont even have to plug in..... I played with a band whose bass player had an older p bass with lindy fralin pj pups tort guard......and get this, he painted the top of the sunburst bass black with a paint roller....sounded good except for the obvious volume drop when he turned around :D
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by musicfiend:

are we talking black pg with matching headstock and ebony board with no inlays...not too mention black badd ass bridge.....louder.............if so i donty want to come within one mile of one of yourn shows...i bet you dont even have to plug in..... I played with a band whose bass player had an older p bass with lindy fralin pj pups tort guard......and get this, he painted the top of the sunburst bass black with a paint roller....sounded good except for the obvious volume drop when he turned around :D

no, i had to opt for the black w/ white pick guard (soon upgrade to black) and natural maple neck with rosewood. the other was just too loud. i could not even take it out of the case without the cops showing up. :D

My vote is fora tort pg.......i mean how loud do you really want to be!?!?!?!?!

HAve you heard some black pickguards??

no wonder fender started making blk/wht/blk

WOah now...someone's gettin ahead of themselves........do you want the bass t sound like a pbass(tort, white), a loud pbass(black), or lemmy(snakeskin).

Probably $50 bucks I'd guess, but only do it if you're sure you won't want to sell the bass later, as it will significantly lower the price you'll get.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really??? why would it lower the price????
Modifications generally hurt you when you sell an instrument, as most buyers want 'stock' instruments.

Having your bass refinished professionally will depreciate it less than doing it yourself and obviously this will be more of a factor with a 'vintage' instrument, but this principle holds for newer instruments too, in my experience.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't go ahed and do it, just something you might want to consider.

Archived