Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Powered Plugins?

Since Craig's post on a dual Athlon workstation I have been doing alot of thinking. I heard a Nuendo system this week and I thought that dual processors and a plugin PCI card is what I always wanted at home. Has anyone out there used the UA powered plugin, or the TC WOrks card? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jotown:)

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The UAD-1 LA-2, 1176 and Pultec are the best sounding plugins I've heard on any platform. In fact, the only plugins I've ever heard that rival the hardware versions, all of which I've used extensively over the last 25 years. Regards, Brian T

Hi, I had been using the UAD-1 card since it came out and has totally replaced my Waves plug-ins as my main mixing and mastering tools (well except for the L1 and L2 plugs). Yes, they're that good. For more info, go to http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums/ it's the unofficial forum/hangout for UAD-1 users.

so anyone directly compared the UAD to the BF plugins [1176, LA2A, pultec], i played with the BF ones his past weekend... and they sound NOTHING like the real deals. the graphics sure sound good eh? this is how bad it was... the BF LP Filter was destroyed by the real one, and MOTUs multimode filter sounded better than the BF version. actually that multimode filter isnt half bad.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

I've used both, but not at the same time in the same room. But I've used the real deals for years, so maybe I have a decent reference point. For me, no contest. UAD by a mile. I thought the 1176 and LA2 were amazing, until I heard the Pultec. Sheesh. *Just* the Pultec would be worth the price of the card, IMO. Well, I mean the 9 or so stereo Pultecs. Regards, Brian T

Hey and one more thing, while we're at it here. I've seen Erik the Great (aka the BF dude) going on about how you can get a buttload of BF plugins on a Mix card, but only 8-12 of the high end UAD plugins (Pultec, LA2, 1176, Realverb) on the UAD card. From this, Mr. Rocket Science deduces that the UAD card is underpowered. OK, there's one theory. A pessimistic and fairly unscientific theory by a direct competitor, but it is one possible conclusion nontheless. Another conclusion would be that the card is about twice as powerful as a PT Mix card, which is what UA claims and seems proven likely by comparing the count on the only plugin that runs on both architectures. How else would you objectively compare? Since the UA card is a single, proprietary DSP chip, there are no barriers as to how you divide up the DSP power, as opposed to the multiple chip scenario on Farm/Mix cards and how that has created hassles in spanning the Mix card's chips with any single plugin. We good so far? So until very recently (BF still has released no HD plugs AFAIK), it's been impossible/impractical to span DSP chips in a Mix card. Bottom line is this. No BF TDM plugin to this point has even had the option to use as much DSP power as the high end UA plugins. Again, AFAIK and if I'm wrong please correct me (like I need to ask around here). ;) Hmmmm. Maybe being able to use a bunch more DSP power for a single plugin than on TDM would explain 2 things. 1. Why the plugin count is relatively low for the high end UA plugins. 2. Why those plugins sound a lot more like the originals they're emulating than BF does to my ear, having played with both. That would be my theory. And I don't make or sell either one of those products, but I do mix hit records inside a DAW sometimes. Regards, Brian T

erik is a dipshit. he then went on to bash altiverb. i dont think that fucker knows his head from his ass. the only stuff i directly compared was the moogerfoogers. and none were "right", not even in the same ballpark. the others, i had to go on memory... but the shit sounded so different, i didnt even need to directly compare. but i did compare them to other companies plugins... and the other companies obliterated BF plugins everytime. i mean i might as well reach for a stock motu dynamic plugin instead of the BF1176 and save dsp. so whats the deal with latency using the UAD card with MAS? is it REALLY that big of a hassle? as in no more than regular plugins are already? i hear 'buffy' is coming out to handle aligning up outboard with which is cool.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

I found this on the uaudio web site. It might answer your question [url=http://www.uaudio.com/emulation/index.html]uaudio[/url] Jotown:)

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Archived