Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

looking for J humbuckers

davio

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you define "decently priced" more precisely?

Here's a list of folks who make humbucking J pickups:

Nordstrand

Carvin

Bartolini

DiMarzio

Seymour Duncan

Bill Lawrence

EMG

There are others, too.

I believe that it's possible to get a pair from almost all of those folks in the n'hood of $150 -- some may be closer to $200, and Carvin is closer to $100.

Make sure you measure your current pickup routings so you know whether you need a Fender-like set (the neck pickup a little shorter than the bridge pickup) or a set where the pair are both the same length.

Peace.

--sweets

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I'll put in a vote for the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups.

I got a pair a couple of years ago, brand new, for around $50 off eBay. That was a total steal, but you can probably find a reasonable price on them somewhere. And there are lots of other good options.

Be sure you know which size pickups you're replacing (and bridge & neck pickups are often different sizes).

Originally posted by davio:

Are all J pickups the same sizes? Is it just "same size sets" and "different size sets"?

No. No.

However, most J-pickup dimensions match Fender dimensions.

BUT, before replacing pickups, it is essential to measure your routings (as it seems you've done) and compare them to the dimensions the manufacturers provide for their replacement sets.

Now, some pickups have pole pieces and others use "blades". The pole pieces are aligned so that each pair of magnets sandwiches a string to provide the best sonic response. Your string spacing will affect your fidelity to this design -- although, in the end, most likely only minimally.

I have Bartolini Classic Bass series humbucking J pickups in my Carvin. I like them a lot. These pickups are an example of pickups that are "blades" (bars) rather than pole pieces (e.g., DiMarzio). The blades allow you to worry less about the alignment of the pole pieces relative to each string.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I bought some Bartolini's for my Yamaha Nathan East "5". I bought the warmer pu's, should have bought the hotter version. Great pickups! I have Fender Custom Shop 60's on my MIA Jazz, and they are the best I've ever tried. They ignited a passive bass, into a very aggressive bass that will cut through any electric guitars but, with a twist of the tone knob settle right in with acoustic/mellow sets or songs.

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Archived