Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1969-70 Lefty Fender Precision

alfonso

A friend of mine, a french guitarist that has been living in Italy for decades wants to sell a lefty Fender Precision that he bought used in the early 70's with a serial number indicating that it should be dated in a period from 1969 to 1970, if the serials are equally distributed, 1970 is more probable.

The body finish had suffered a bit the age and a lot of dirt and lack of care from the former owner, but all the parts are absolutely original, integer and the instrument is perfectly working with a killer tone. I have it at my home, parked here with a lot of other incredible stuff he owns from decades (Gretch Country Gentleman early 60's, Gibson SG 3 p-ups & Vibrola etc...)

He asked me to have some research on the net and help him to sell it, as he has been using it only once in all his life, when he had to replace a bass player.

He is determined to ask around 5000 Eu for it.

I'm not a true vintage expert and not a bass player either, but a guitarist too, So I thought to ask for opinions here before I help him to put it on E-Bay (Idea that I don't like too much for such a piece, as I couldn't believe anyone would buy something like that without trying it first) or to send offers to specialized stores and potential buyers.

I'll put here the link to some pics we made, not perfect, but just to have an idea.

A note should be added about the Fender logo, that is not complete as in right models because at that time they didn't have specifical stickers for left instruments, this is what I know from this friend of mine.

Please have a look:

www.alfonsodamora.it/vintage/fendprec.jpeg

www.alfonsodamora.it/vintage/head.jpeg

www.alfonsodamora.it/vintage/serial.jpeg

www.alfonsodamora.it/vintage/tuners.jpeg

Thanks.

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but even if that was a Fender, which from the logo, headset, and body offset I don't think it is, it ain't worth $6000.

That's original '65-'66 ching.

Hell, my '73 is almost original (I have all the original parts), and at best I could get $1500 for it.

It's not for sale.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Nice try, but no cigar.

5000EU is about $6550USD

Where's the original case?

Where's the pickup cover?

I don't know of any Fender that has the serial number on the neck plate.

Maybe it's my new computer, but I can't see a split pickup. Take a better picture.

I have plenty of suspicions. Especially with poor pictures. I wouldn't touch it for $200USD even if I WAS a lefty.

Originally posted by Prague:

I don't know of any Fender that has the serial number on the neck plate.

From 1954 to 1976 the serial # was on the neck plate. Before that it was on the bridge, after on the headset with the logo.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Originally posted by Prague:

Where's the pickup cover?

Maybe it's my new computer, but I can't see a split pickup. Take a better picture.

I trust opinions I get here, this is the reason I asked before helping to sell it. As I said I'm not an expert on this matter, and I think that some answers I got made me sure that something is not as it should.

But regarding the split pick up and the covers here they are:

www.alfonsodamora.it/vintage/body.jpeg

www.alfonsodamora.it/vintage/covers.jpeg

Guess the Amp

Here it is!

After seeing those pics I'm confuzzled. I mean it sure does look like a real Fender to my eye, except that darn logo.

The Logo looks misplaced for sure, as JC pointed out... could be a licensed by Fender aftermarket neck. I did see where the truss rod adjustment was, too-down on bottom near the body. But could still be aftermarket.

Who knows about the elctronics? This could be a good sounding bass but I am indeed curious about it.

I'd like to see the strings loosened all equally, then removed, and then the neck removed. Take photos of the heel and pocket, look for the Fender date stamp.

Isn't there some kind of fender labeling info on the pots and pickups, too?

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Looks like the real McCoy to me. The logo is correct also. I have an American Precision that has the Fender logo in that place and "Precision Bass" at the round area of the tip. My MIJ only has the Fender logo, Fender U.S.A. seems to have been rather inconsistant about this in the past. However I do not believe this to be an MIJ as the serial # is on the neck plate and MIJ's have them on the back of the neck near the heel.

The only thing that is rather odd is how the truss rod screw sits so far above the body, is the neck shimmed?

The best way to be sure as someone has pointed out is to remove the neck and look for the date stamps on the end of the neck and on the body.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

• 3 weeks later...

We made some more pics of the pots and internal views. The pots show a date of march '67, it should be consistent with what other elements suggest, as a time of 2-3 years should be normal for the lasting of supplies.

The hole seen on the plate was definetly made by the former owner to attach the strap, it continues in the body even if not too visible from the pics, but the internal is as it should.

So, all your remarks and opinions are highly appreciated, prices in Italy are quite good for the sellers of Vintage, but my friend wants to be absolutely sure that the parts he's selling are all genuine. They are of those times for sure, as he bought it second hand in the early-mid 70's, but you never know.....

Thanks.

www.alfonsodamora.it/vintage/pots.jpeg

www.alfonsodamora.it/vintage/opbody.jpeg

www.alfonsodamora.it/vintage/truss.jpeg

www.alfonsodamora.it/vintage/nk.jpeg

Guess the Amp

Here it is!

Archived