Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm looking for an Upright backup/substitute

SteveC

I'm looking (kinda) for a 4 string electric fretless that I can use as a backup or substitute for when I don't want to/can't take my upright for a gig.

My current fretless (6) has roundwounds on it and I want to keep it that way for the "modern" stuff I play.

I'd like something I could string with flats, passive, simple and good "upright" tone. I have been looking at a Fender MIM Jazz. Wondering what some of you guys use for this purpose.

Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might be better off looking at electric acoustic four strings that are made to sound like an upright, strung with tapewoods. Good examples are the basses made by veillette, rob allen, and I believe godin could do you well too.

But that's beside the point. WHY DO YOU HAVE GAS. I remember you telling us to stop you in a situation like this steve. C'mon man.....you don't need this, you've got a great setup with high dependability and great sound. And by your recent posts I see you just had a car repair.

PLEASE think of the children steve.....why won't you THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by SteveC:

I'm looking (kinda) for a 4 string electric fretless that I can use as a backup or substitute for when I don't want to/can't take my upright for a gig.

My current fretless (6) has roundwounds on it and I want to keep it that way for the "modern" stuff I play.

I'd like something I could string with flats, passive, simple and good "upright" tone. I have been looking at a Fender MIM Jazz. Wondering what some of you guys use for this purpose.

Thanks.

--------------------

http://gra.midco.net/sjcarriere

Hi. My name is SteveC and I'm a GASaholic.

read the last line

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Strong words spoken by a strong man.

I feel blessed to recieve this tuteledge(sp) and you should to steve. Now, I think a piece of foam beats out a new bass in price, portability, looks(you know it looks so dang old school), feel and playability(would you rather adjust to a whole new bass, and availability. DON'T YOU

An acoustic-electric bass strung with tapewound or flatwound strings. EQed the right way and it sounds like an amplified upright.

For my first one, I bought a used Cort 4-string AEB fretted ($300), a Kaman Feedback Buster ($5) and a set of LaBella tapewounds ($30) then took them to my guitar person to have the frets ground down and a setup done ($100) so that you wouldn't hear the frets when you played. I don't use it as much as I use my 5-string AEBs, but when I want to get close to that sound, this is what I use.

It doesn't cost anything to try out a few of the low-budget models in the stores. But I strongly recommend the feedback buster because it makes a difference!

Yep. GAS GAS GAS.

We all got it. I'll bet you even have it for cooking, right? Like a nice Kitchenaid mixer, or a waffle maker, or a nice set of pans! And then you and the new wife can go out and buy new dishes that match the wallpaper and ......

Just wait 'til you have kids! They tear EVERYTHING up!

I'm a fan of the Godin hollowbody as a really nice sounding and playing bass.

If you are really serious about a nice tone in a small package for a small price, get yourself an Ashbory. I've gigged with mine (while having a "real" bass handy) and really liked it.

Just be sure to have a string budget for this baby. The G string breaks a lot, being right on the edge of materials engineering. And the damning problem is that Fender won't sell you just the G string, even though the strings tone stays great forever. So now I have packages of Ashbory strings with only the G string pulled out.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

I WISH!!! :love:

No, that's a sound sample from Dave Wendler's site. I played it for my wife last night, & she could not believe that it was an electric--not even an electric upright, but an electric bass guitar.

I tell you, if the secret gets out that Wendler can give you that kind of upright tone in an EBG, and make it by hand for $1200-$1300, his business should absolutely explode.

Check it out: www.electrocoustic.com

I waaaant it, I waaaant it, I waaaant it... :D

Yeah, I know about those. I just don't want to spend alot of money. I won't get a ton of use from this bass, but I would still like to have the "flatwound" option available.

Those are sick sounding basses. I wish, I wish.......

Just cram a big piece of foam rubber under the strings at the bridge on the fretless you already have. That should give it more of an old school sound.

There's a guy from the Bay Area named Steve Wolf that does that on his Pbass. Met him playing at Muddy Waters in Oslo. He was playing with Mark Hummel and sounded terrific. Won't make you ditch your upright but he gets nice thump and decay on the notes. I believe he used a rag, though.

I did that with my Zon fretless while my electric upright was in the shop and I was playing with a swing band several years ago. I strung it with flatwounds, raised the action up real high and stuck some foam under the bridge. It worked.

The thing is, I don't want to restring my current fretless. I like the roundwounds on it for the more "modern" sound. That's why I was thinking of a different bass so I could put flats on it.

Actually, I like the idea of a "P" bass body and a "J" neck. I had that once before - fretted - and it was sweet.

Archived