Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BassQuake NAMM Summit 2005

daniel elliott

BassQuake NAMM Bass Summit 2005

When: Thursday, January 20th, 7:30pm

Where: JT Schmid's Restaurant and Brewery

East Katella Ave, Anaheim (1 mile east of the convention center)

BassQuake's third annual NAMM Bass Summit will take place on Thursday, January 20th in Anaheim, CA. This year's performers include Jan Olaf Strandberg, Victor Wooten Band bassist Anthony Wellington and friends, the Norm Stockton Group, and Drue Williams with the Isaiah Williams Project. Host for this year is UK solo bassist, Steve Lawson. Thanks to the support of our fine sponsors, admission will be free and NAMM passes are not required. For further details and updates, visit www.bassquake.org

Sponsors: Accugroove, BASSically.net, Gallien-Krueger, MTD Basses, MusicDojo.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I talked to Dan last week and learned that most of the bass players will play with groups this year, not all solo acts as in the past events. Looking forward to meeting some Lowdowners at the event.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by ChrisOfDoom:

I would give anything to be there...

Well do it! Get on the web and find some cheap airline tickets, or gas up the car and start drivin'... :cool:

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

There was a small meeting of the Low Down Lowdown tonight at BassQuake 2005.

Present were:

Wally Malone (and his wife, the lovlii Lady Bo)

Bob Gollihur (and his lovlii wife... Linda? I'm sorry, I don't remember her name because I'm an absolutely horrible person)

Adrian "bassaddik"

Mark "Whappo"

JeremyC

Myself

Steve Lawson - who played (opened the show and completely ruled) and then MC'd the rest of the evening.

I maybe(?) saw Mike Bear there, but I'm not sure... just now looking at his avatar pic and thinking of people I saw in the crowd.

All the performers brought their own thing to the plate and didn't fail to satisfy the audience. Even the 'party band' atmosphere of the Anthony Wellington and friends group was well received by the crowd.

The Accugroove rig that was there blew the EBS and GK rigs out of the water. I'm not sure what Whappo hooked them up with, but DAMN, did it sound good. I fear that I may get some serious GAS for a new cab soon. :(:cry:

I meant to pick up a few of Steve Lawson's discs tonight, but neglected to do so. I absolutely must do this before I leave. I totally dig his atmospheric, layered tunes with all his looping that he's totally got goin' on. Very, very cool stuff.

Steve and Norm Stockton were my personal favorites from this evenings performances. Both stood a bit above the others in my opinion. However, the 10 year old drummer (Isaiah) in the Isaiah Williams Project is just *insane*. It's not at all fair. That kid is good. Real good.

I'm looking forward to hitting the floor tomorrow and checking out all the fly-ass gear.

Wally and I both took a bunch of pictures of this event. I'll be putting a page together when I get home that will have all my NAMM trip pics on it. Including all the stuff you probably don't care about, like mountain passes, snow, and the dodgy hotel room in Redding, CA.

btw - A huge thank you to Bob for buying me a refreshing adult beverage. He left while I was away from the table and didn't get a chance to properly thank him!

Until tomorrow night...

-B Diggity

Sadly, I didn't make it to Bassquake for many reasons. One, my band auditioned a guitarist. I will be at NAMM on Sunday though. I know sadly a few of you will be gone. If I recognize anyone, I will surely say hello. If anyone recognizes me, please come say hello. I think I'll be walking around with my girlfriend. I look pretty much like my picture. I'm pretty tall as well. None of this helps at a music trade show. And that's the cool things about this. I can't say, I'm the long hair. I love it!!

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Thanks for the report, Bumpastorius! :cry:

I will refrain, for a moment, from saying it... I told you so.

Did Steve use his powered AccuG 1x10s?

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

btw - A huge thank you to Bob for buying me a refreshing adult beverage. He left while I was away from the table and I didn't get a chance to properly thank him!

Nothing like a little luv bein' spread.

What prompted you to leave the table? Fishing for a young lady who shares your same love of the bass -- or perhaps just a urinal?

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Thanks for the updates guys, and keep 'em coming! Remember that you are our channel through which we live and enjoy the experience of NAMM! Talk to people, check out the gear, but most of all, have fun!

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Fishing for a young lady who shares your same love of the bass -- or perhaps just a urinal?

Just a word of caution: A young lady sharing a men's urinal might not be a young lady after all... :eek::P

-P

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Originally posted by Pernax:

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Fishing for a young lady who shares your same love of the bass -- or perhaps just a urinal?

Just a word of caution: A young lady sharing a men's urinal might not be a young lady after all... :eek::P

-P

ROTFLMAO! Ha!!!!! :D

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

There was a small meeting of the Low Down Lowdown tonight at BassQuake 2005.

btw - A huge thank you to Bob for buying me a refreshing adult beverage. He left while I was away from the table and didn't get a chance to properly thank him!

It was great to meet you, Brian, as well as finally meet Wally and the Lady herself!!

The Bass Quake was a great event, those sorts of things either make you want to practice or give up. I couldn't wait to get home and get a bass in my hands again.

We just got back from NAMM late last night (what's this white stuff on the ground?!?) and will be a while decompressing. Per usual we wandered about SoCal after NAMM, ending up in the Sideways area, coincidentally visiting wineries. ;)

Back to harsh reality...

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Archived