Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

rack quandary

davio

If I'm racking a 1U power conditioner, 1U preamp and 2U poweramp...what would you suggest for racking and cooling?

Should I just get a 4U rack and put everything in there against eachother or get a bigger rack and space them apart for the sake of cooling?

Are there be any extra precautions I should heed to help in the cooling process and keep my stuff from melting down or should the internal fans take care of it if both sides of the rack are open?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by davio:

If I'm racking a 1U power conditioner, 1U preamp and 2U poweramp...what would you suggest for racking and cooling?

I'd get a 3U case and forget the power conditioner, just use a surge protected power strip (which will give you the same protection). Or if you want to be able to store more spare leads etc get a 4U. Get as shallow as possible, the power amp being the limiting factor.

Any fan cooled power amp will be able to keep itself cool without spare rack spaces above and below.

Alex

Conventional wisdom advises you keep 1U open above and below the power amp for air circulation. You could go with a 6U rack, but I'd get wheels and an handle on it (SKB makes one) because that's going to get old carrying it around.

Having said that, my suggestion is to go with two separate and stackable 4U cases: keep the power amp separate as it'll need more air circulation. Plus you won't need the cart and wheels, although it wouldn't hurt to have one along for the cabinets.

So what to do with the extra spaces on the 2nd rack? Don't worry, you'll find something...

:D

Yeah, 4 spaces SOUNDS like the logical choice.. but go with 6. I got a 4 space rack for Christmas; but it was the shallow one and wasn't right for what I have (which isn't much... yet). Went to exchange it for a deep 4 space; but they didn't have any in stock so I went with the 6 space. Yes, it's bigger and heavier, but it gives you room for GAS. And they did have a used BBE Sonic Maximizer for cheap... guess that will be filling in a space this weekend.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Ya know, todays electronics are very hardy and I believe made to take care of themselves. I don't sweat spacing and cooling. Now, weight I sweat. I recently pulled an extra amp out of my rack because it's just too damn heavy.

I do like a power conditioner if for no other reason than it lights up my stuff and that just looks cool. ;)

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

What kind of power amp?

I think we are overlooking that part. If it is a newer power amp it shouldn't be a problem. Is it one of the digital switching amps? Those run much much cooler than conventional amps and are much lighter.

Unless the amp is more than 5 years old I'd say get a 4 space and ditch the rack mounted power conditioner for a strip type one that sits in the back. Will leave you 1U for something else.

Originally posted by NUTT:

What kind of power amp?

I was wondering the same thing. And about the other components - if they are not as wide as the rack, or not so deep.

In my old age, I would go with two four-space units. When you move them, they can sit on top of each other on your handtruck/cart. Then when you have to move/fit them into position (or your trunk) they are manageable. And you'll have room for some funk Logic units.

All this talk about heavy boxes is making me tired. Makes me keep saving for something like an EA800 or Clarus Focus 600.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I like to keep my power amp in a seperate rack from the preamp. That way, if I'm going to church (or another PA or backline provided gig) and only need my preamp, that's all I take. If I need my cab and amp, it's only one other LIGHT 2 space rack.

Simple, modular, light and portable.

Archived