Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any ideas how to best transport my Avalon?

SteveC

I need to tap into some of the creative juices of the forum.

As you know, I have an Avalon U5 for my preamp. I also use a Boss TU-2 tuner pedal. Although I don't have them at the moment, I plan to add a PreSonus BlueMax Compressor (the half-rack unit) and a SansAmp Bass Driver (the pedal version) to my rig in the future. I would rather not go to a big rack, but I like the convience of having everything hooked up and ready to go - just plug in the power and the bass.

Would one of those "custom" pedal boards be an option? One where you lift the lid off and - viola' - you're set.

I've also seen where guys have pedals and stuff in the back of their - behind whatever piece of gear is racked - just velcroed or something in the leftover space. Something like that could be an option as I don't need to "get at" the compressor (it's just on) and the SABDDI would be either on or off depending on the gig.

There is a pic on the TB forum:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158363&page=1&pp=20&highlight=show+rack

Any other thoughts?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could do like BGO just did and build your own "pedalboard". Or you could get one of these Slide-out Shelves that mount into a rack and use that. I have one installed in my 10x rack that my 4track sits on, roll it out when in use roll it back when I'm done. You could easily find a used 2 or 4 space rack on ebay for cheap. Heck, here's a new one right HERE for not too much $$ at all!

:D

Cheers!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

you could easily buy the slide our rack...if it can slide all the way out tihs could mean you have your pedal board right there as well. If not you could simply make a small pedalboard to place on the slide out rack
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

I'd put everything but the SansAmp in a rack, with the compressor on a half-rack mount. I would keep the SansAmp plugged in with a long enough cable to put it on top of the rack (maybe buy some surplus velcro off BGO to hold it in place).

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

You could keep the compressor in the half rack space available right next to the avalon. Unless I'm mistaken the avalon is one rackspace taller than the compressor which should hopefully leave room for when you're carting around that bddi
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

i would rack what you can. better to be safe than sorry.

i would get one of the 1 rack space fixed shelves.

i use one for a couple of effects that i keep on all of the time. it holds it in place and allows me to reach behind and adjust if need be. i also use the shelf as a vent between my pre and power amp.

Thanks,guys.

I'm thinking that a sliding rack drawer might be the way to go. Would this work:

- mount the Avalon to the shelf buy using the 4 screws that currently hold the rubber "feet" and drilling 4 holes through the shelf. That would take up 1/2 the space.

- use velcro or zip ties to mount the 1/2 space BlueMax and Sansamp BDDI Pedal to the shelf next to the Avalon.

Since the compressor would always be on, I don't need "gig" access to it. Likewise for the BDDI - it's more "gig specific" so maybe put it at the front so I can get at it easier if I need to by pulling the shelf out a bit.

For those that have a pull out shelf - are they pretty secure when teh rack covers are on?

Oh no - only £285 for a new U5 on eBay! This is disastrous...

Reasons why not: It's rather heavy for a preamp; it's a bit short of connectivity (though I guess all I need are one 1/4" in and two XLR outs (one for QSC PLX, the other for the desk); it's a really annoying shape (my rackmount tuner would have to go); maybe the SWR GP's slight colour is important to me?; it has fewer flashing lights.

Reasons why: By all accounts it sounds amazing; it looks indestructible; it's remarkably cheap; it has hardly any EQ and it's bypassable; it's shiny; having only four knobs on my rack, three of which are for volume, would be rather satisfying...

I'm sure you've owned a Grand Prix, Steve. How do they compare?

Alex

Alex,

I have had an SWR GP and it was very nice. It's a great preamp. We all talk about having all this control over tone (bass, low mid, high mid, mid mid, treble, etc.) yet when we talk about how are stuff is set, most of us have our EQ basically flat. Well, that's basically Preset 1 on the Avalon.

I went to the Avalon mostly for my upright playing, but it makes ANYTHING you run through it sound great.

The simplicity of the controls is kinda nice. Of the 6 "Tone" settings, I find 4 useful for bass, and I tend to use 3 of them.

As for outputs, I use the 1/4" to go to my amp, and the XLR to go to the desk. There's still another XLR for something.

Yes, the shape, size and weight are negatives, but everyone who hears this rig loves it. If I can get everything in a 2 space rack, I'll be happy.

Panic over! Just listened to a whole bunch of clips at basstasters. The differences between most of the preamps simply aren't that big. I listened to the iAmp, U5, Purity and their GP. And their SWR Grand Prix doesn't sound very much like mine, which is much smoother, thicker and cleaner sounding (presumably due to the NOS 5751 instead of the standard 12AX7).

I noticed that the iAmp and U5 were relatively similar as were the Purity and GP. The former were deeper, cleaner and had more thud. The latter were more colourful, 3D and dirtier. The Read Purity is so three dimensional that it is really amazing! But it's $995. And the difference between it and my 'hotrodded' GP is pretty minimal - nowhere near as big a difference as a new set of strings IMO.

I'll stick with what I've got. GAS averted! :D

Alex

Yeah, when you get to a certain point, the differences are fairly minimal. Any of the top preamps are gonna sound good.

My G.A.S has been pretty under control lately - thanks to the $1,700 car repair last month. :mad:

Originally posted by SteveC:

My G.A.S has been pretty under control lately - thanks to the $1,700 car repair last month. :mad:

I know that feeling Steve! My automotive problems in December left me £900 lighter of pocket. :mad:

But I keep finding that nothing controls GAS quite so well as having lots of music to get on with so you can't spend as much time thinking about musical equipment. Drop Kick may be on (possibly permanent) hiatus but I'm pedalling my wares as fast as I can (mixed metaphor?)

Alex

How about this:

I get a 3 space rack, still pretty small and portable. I rack the Avalon using the ears so it's solid and get a rack shelf for the Blue Max and SansAmp. Screw, ziptie or velcro them down. The TU-2 just rides in the back of the rack, maybe on velcro to keep it from moving too much during transport.

Pull the tuner pedal (all prewired for power and output) out and plug in my bass. Plug the DI out or the out to my power amp and power it up and I'm good to go.

What do you think?

Sounds good Steve. As to the sliding shelf, the one I have (Raxxes, I believe) locks in place when you roll it into the rack.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived