Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Post your Home made (Inster gear here) Pics here

Bass_god_offspring

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.doublebass.biz/eurb2.jpg

I built this Electric Upright Bass a few years ago, recently refined the pickups, so the photograph and this page are slightly out of date.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

1st try:

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/bdvk1.jpg

2nd try:

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/fdvkout.jpg

2nd try definately worked out better.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Lug, do you play with inverted strings like in the picture? I thought it would be really hard to slap with strings in that order, but I saw a Motown revue last Christmas, and the bass player was ripping out slap/pop on an upside down righty bass no problem.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by mattulator:

Wow - not only a lefty but upside down! Interesting. Very pretty BTW.

I assume you mean the 2nd one cause the first is the ugliest bass...IN THE WORLD! I still love it, made it in woodshop in highschool in 73 or 74. Great muddy, monster sounding blues bass. :D

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Lug, do you play with inverted strings like in the picture? I thought it would be really hard to slap with strings in that order, but I saw a Motown revue last Christmas, and the bass player was ripping out slap/pop on an upside down righty bass no problem.

Traditional slap (oxymoron) is next to impossible, but you can emulate some stuff with double taps on top of the fret board with your normal fingerings technique. Where you really suffer is pops. Use the thumb and double pops are just a dream. I don't have much call to play much slap/pop anyway because it could possibly interfere with my goal of being the worst bassist in the history of the world.

Traditional slap (oxymoron) is next to impossible, but you can emulate some stuff with double taps on top of the fret board with your normal fingerings technique. Where you really suffer is pops. Use the thumb and double pops are just a dream. I don't have much call to play much slap/pop anyway because it could possibly interfere with my goal of being the worst bassist in the history of the world.
My notions of slapping on an upside down bass were shattered when I saw a guy in NY at the Elbow Room. He played a lefty/upside down bass. He sounded like Marcus Miller. Really.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

My notions of slapping on an upside down bass were shattered when I saw a guy in NY at the Elbow Room. He played a lefty/upside down bass. He sounded like Marcus Miller. Really.
I can sound every bit as good as Marcus Miller as long as you are listening to him play while he is asleep.

Me, Monty (the puppy) and my outdoor rig. The twin 8's really give it some great mid snarl. Hard to tell but those are 2 feet deep.

http://www.propagandists.com/matt/stack.jpg

And this is BlondeZooka with matching mini-rack.

This little cabinet kicks serious ass and has become my mainstay for small and medium gigs. Deep and powerful yet punchy and best of all - it can be carried with 1 hand. Light birch ply with vinyl interior damping do the trick.

I like it so much I'm going to make another one and load a 12" driver in it.

http://www.propagandists.com/matt/blondezooka.jpg

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/nosamiam/PICT0109.jpg

There's some DIY stuff on my pedalboard. I have some others that I either never got working, or they aren't really for bass or I have retired them/no longer use them routinely.

You could call the patch cables DIY too, I guess. They are George L cable with 90degree connectors I bought off eBay and soldered myself. Good stuff.

1) Bottom-row middle: Feedback loop/bypass loop. I LOVE the thing. Plug pedals into loop. Flip toggle down and it's a true-bypass loop. Flip the toggle up and it's a feedback loop, capable of coaxing absolute chaos out of normal pedals. Basically a clone of the Total Sonic Annihilation pedal, but with a bypass loop option.

2) Top right: Buzzbox. It's a pretty nasty bass fuzz pedal. Really simple. Just has one knob that controls the amount of fuzz and volume boost. Definitely looks DIY what with the junction box enclosure and the lack of a knob cover.

3) Top-row center: 60's Boutique Fuzz. My newest pedal. Like the name says... based on a boutiqued-out fuzz face circuit from a past decade. My first PCB-based pedal. Very flexible fuzz. Sounds great by itself but it sucks a lot of low-end. I'm going to have to tweak it a little to make it usable. Works great as-is with the feedback loop though.

4) Top-row left: Phaseur Fleur. Designed comes from 4ms (www.commonsound.org). Definitely my favorite that I've built so far. Great bass response without modification and it gets pretty much any phaser sound out there.

On my to-build list:

Power supply

Univibe clone

Sorry, just wondering do you have a certain project that required that many different distortion boxes?
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Good question! To a certain degree, they all sound different. And yes, the project I'm in allows me to use a variety of overdrive/fuzz sounds. I can play direct (and sometimes do) though.

I use the Ibanez on the clean setting to add a little crunch and a tiny bit of boost, ie. when switching between verse & chorus. The other pedals just won't do it.

The Buzzbox is a one-trick pony. Just fuzz, without much flexibility. I use it for short fills because of the volume boost.

The boutique fuzz is very much in the tweaking stages. It's really only on my board because I've been experimenting with it at rehearsal. It may someday replace the Buzzbox.

So there you go. PLUS they all sound very good with the feedback loop, especially when combined. Distortions seem to be the easiest for me to get controlled noise with when using the feedback loop, too. Some other pedals make it do weird, speaker-blowing type things.

Distortion does seem to be a tricky effect to masater. I tried the ibanez phathead pedal until it broke but it always sounded a little too raspy and thin to me....and not in that really cool lemmy way, where it has some character to it. If I were to buy a distortion box right now I'd be gravitating to either a pro co rat or zvex wooly mammoth.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Whoa!

Things are looking interesting around here.

Beautiful cabinetry by Mattulator! Want to come down here and build some built in cabinets in my living room? You and the wife could stay for a weekend. :D

And nice custom electronics by nosamiam.

Here's a little project I did many years ago. The circuit diagram came from Craig Anderton's book, Electronic Projects for Musicians

You can actually buy all the parts as kits from PAIA electronics.

I made a few modifications to the circuit, the range control was not part of the original plans.

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone5/ring.JPG

Beautiful cabinetry by Mattulator! Want to come down here and build some built in cabinets in my living room? You and the wife could stay for a weekend.
damn!

those sure as hell are nice cabs, especially the blonde ones.

Matt- what type of wood did u use for the bodies of the 1x15" speaker cab and it's rack?

:)

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

mattulator(flatulator?)... the blond cabs are gorgeous.

I wonder why no one has caught on with the natural wood finish for cabs yet? I guess scratches would be more noticeable, but if you keep them safe, they wouldn't get scratched.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

I built the two on the bottom in 1976. Old rig, older cabs - and not nearly as pretty as Mattulator's Blondies. Lots and lots of road scars, but they still work fine. They were built according to EV plans, I believe they were called TL 606's. Loaded with the original EVM 15B's. Birch veneer(?) voidless plywood and heavy as all get out!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TAAwA00WLDvOU14d1ogreDvUX6wJPpR8T0DyQcp5gNzpHE3jCWwfnTgu02iiICR6mpDZ*i1xeUyICOuQaNUuZlXSy*zt5hCwRKkPk5*K98rybnDfSdb7Bw/AAAA0017.JPG

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Originally posted by Gospel5theZealot:

mattulator(flatulator?)... the blond cabs are gorgeous.

I wonder why no one has caught on with the natural wood finish for cabs yet? I guess scratches would be more noticeable, but if you keep them safe, they wouldn't get scratched.

jason

Speedster makes beautiful natural maple cabinets; look like Swedish furniture from the 80's.

Mattulator's stuff is way cool though. :thu:

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Originally posted by Gospel5theZealot:

http://www.bagend.com/bagend/images/ta1200-of_sm.jpg

Bag End

Beautiful cabinetry by Mattulator! Want to come down here and build some built in cabinets in my living room? You and the wife could stay for a weekend. :D - Jeremy c
Careful Jeremy! Don't invite Hillbilly Hell!

"So they loaded up the truck and they moved to Jeremys . . ."

Matt- what type of wood did u use for the bodies of the 1x15" speaker cab and it's rack? - BGO
Just 5 ply cabinet grade birch. It's a little pricey (at least around here) and I had to sacrifice protection for the true color when finishing. When rough sanded, it's a beautiful off-white.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Those are beautiful Mattulator.

I do not have any pictures of my stuff, but "music stuff" I've built include:

P.A. System

Speaker Stack: 18" bass,15"mid & Horn Cabs. If you have a 1980 Carvin catalog that's what they looked like, I looked at the pictures, took the deminsions from the specsheet and drew my own plans.

12 space amp rack

6 space effects rack

"Anvil" style case for our Peavey 16ch board

We built everything out of particleboard, painted it black and edged everything in aluminum angle. It looked and sounded great!But it was heavy as hell.Wish I had pictures, it's probably still out there somewhere.

I built a short-scale 4 string bass in high school woodshop.It's shaped kinda like an Alembic model 1. I still have it. One of these days I plan to sand it back down and do some work on it, then give it a nice oil finish.

In high school metalshop I welded together some adjustable light trees and a friend of mine and I built a simple switch box. We used colored floodlights on the trees plus a strobe and a two red rotating "police" lights. We'd have someone stand there and flip the switches on and off for our "light show" while we played.

Ahhh the good ol' days! :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived