Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: linux and open source.

rumpelstiltskin.

i guess this is pretty spammy, but since no one is making money from this endorsement, i can live with it.

i have finally converted my web computer to linux and i couldn't be happier with the results. sure, it's different than windows, which i have been using exclusively since windows 95 came out in 1996. but even the switch from windows 3.11 to windows 95 was a bumpy one for me, so i'm comfortable with the temporary discomfort.

worth the price of admission alone: openoffice.org's word processor can save to .pdf. that means i can save my resume in format anyone on any platform can use. no more worrying about what version of MS office people have or funky .rtf conversions. also, i can print whenever i want without bugs or freezing like i had with windows ME.

also, i'm at the LDLD right now without any worry of popups, adware, spyware, or hackers getting up in my business. i can go anywhere i want without any fear of viruses or having to format and reinstall every six months.

hoo-ray.

and it was a lot easier than i thought it would be. so if you have a clue at all about computers (more than just how to turn it on, surf the web, and play CDs in windows media player), you really ought to give linux a try. i'm using MEPIS, which can be downloaded for free at http://www.mepis.org , or you can buy a CD there for $2 shipped. another popular beginner's disc knoppix . both are designed to run off the CD, so you can try it before installing it and see if it's at all worth the effort. i had some trouble running off the CD on my web computer (PII/350MHz), but my recording box (P4/3.8GHz HT) ran perfectly well.

i'm glad i made the switch.

robb.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to rain on your parade, but it is worth noting:

THere is a nice free PDF writer available as PDF995 which is free, both in cost and limits on functionality. The only way you know that's free is that whenever you save a PDF, a window opens reminding you that there is an upgrade you can buy. I use it all the time and highly recommend it.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Archived