Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any LowDowners in Las Vegas? - Met Bassaddik...

Gruuve

I'm here at a conference. Anyone live here? Any music stores that I should definitely visit? Any live music that I should definitely catch while I'm here? (And do you want to join me?)

L8r!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ed Roman guitars is nice. But they only keep a few basses at their sowroom. They are mainly an internet site, so I can not blame them for keeping thir basses in the back and away from butter fingers. But it's just a heads up. To actually check out their full bass incentory you have to pay one hundred dollars, and it is non refundable unless you buy one of their instruments. Then it goes towards your purchase. Different strokes for different folks....
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Here's another interesting little ditty ('bout jack and diane)...they keep theire god basses in the private showroom....but they had out a refinshed 63 p bass that i ended up playing......take out your benjamins people :D
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Wow, you have to pay a non-refundable deposit just to see the good instruments?

I knew he was weird (all you have to do to find that out is read his website) but that's the strangest thing I've ever seen about a store.

Maybe Adrian (bassaddik) will pop in and tell you where he is playing. Or who else to go see.

Originally posted by RHINO_ROB:

don't live there but you have to go to ed roman guitars.

I just did! 5000+ git-tars in stock...and quite a few (like maybe a few hundred) are bass git-tars...woo whoo!

There were a bunch of basses hanging on the wall in the back of the shop. Just about every item has a sign on it saying "Don't handle the guitars!". Really...printing all those signs probably cost more than the accumulated damage from people "handling" the instruments... :D

I of course grabbed a sales guy and played a few of them...I'm not shy about that, even if I totally suck, I can still hear what the bass sounds like... ;)

I played a Ken Smith Jazz Bass...very nice. I played one of the Cort Curbow basses...very interesting...very light but very unbalanced, really neck-heavy...had a great tone I thought, but string spacing is too close for my tastes. The one that really got my attention was a Moses Graphite Key Bass 5. Here's a URL:

http://www.mosesgraphite.com/cgi-bin/moses/KP-35?g6nqYtKW;;4

I really, REALLY liked this guy...even though the aluminum frame thingamabob is very, very strange. It has really sharp attack, plays really easy to me, sounds very punchy and articulate, and is VERY lightweight. Too bad it's like $2K or so! If they'd had a Starhawk (the one with wood sides rather than the weird aluminum railing), it might very well have gone home with me... :eek:

I didn't pay any fee??? I wouldn't pay a fee to go see a bunch of bass guitars...there's too many people who want to sell me a bass to have to pay someone to look at them! Likewise, I wouldn't even hang around a store that wouldn't let me play a bass, let along buy something even as insignificant as a pick from them!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

You saw the open showroom, which is why there wasnt a fee. Last time I was there, which was less tha a year ago they had a private room where they stocked theyre higher priced items....spectors, mtds, fodera's, thing of that nature. But theye were in the process of moving when I last visited so maybe they changed they're setup. But anyway, don't give them guff for wanting to keep they're basses nice for the several customers they have over the web. They are all nice people. when I visited i talked to the salesman rich and when I saw him at nam months later he still remembered me. And on top of that Ed roman was helping a customer pick a good guitar for a good price while I was also there. So there ya go.

Oh, I'm certainly not knocking the idea of "please ask for help before you trash a bass you don't own" at all. In fact, if the sales folks want to actually earn their commission, they should get over and answer questions, give advice, make suggestions, etc.

However, I still would not pay a fee just to go see their "good" basses. If they don't want to show me their good basses for free, then I certainly wouldn't buy one from them. If I buy a bass from them, they get something they want (my money) and I get something I want (a bass). It would be quite ridiculous if I expected them to pay me a non-refundable deposit for me to actually come to their store. It's just as ridiculous for them to expect a non-refundable deposit (or any deposit) to allow someone to see their high-end stuff.

Regardless, this silly, head-up-their-a$$ practice must have been adandoned, because "good" basses were hanging in the bass area...like Warriors, Modulus, etc.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

Regardless, this silly, head-up-their-a$$ practice must have been adandoned, because "good" basses were hanging in the bass area...like Warriors, Modulus, etc.

Dave

well, as I said, I believe they moved to a new building so maybe it was not plausible in the new space. But anyway, this silly, head-up-their-a$$ practice was simply in an effort to give online customers the best product they can get....and I have no problem with that, I'm just speadin the 'luv the same way their speadin their fishes o' luv to online customers :D

Musicfiend...no offense, but I simply don't see how charging admission guarantees that the mail-order or internet customer gets a bass in good condition... ;) ...but we are all entitled to our opinions.

So, I gather you are in this area?

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

No, I'm not in the area but Idrop by at least twice a year because of my mom's business (she is part of the sand's convention shows fr general merchandise). Maybe if we are ever in the are in the same time we can meet up.

But anyway, I think I know ow to put what I mean effectively now. Once at guitar center I picked up a benloy jazz bass and it played amazingly, I was jonesing for it until I noticed a gigantic chip form the finish maybe 4 inches long and 1 inch wide right around where the bottom strap pin is. NOw a salesman told me that they would have definitely sold it except for some customer put that chip in their and just left. I feel like there's become a big stigma against this guitar centeritus in the music industry and ed roman's is just following the crowd but taking it one step further. MAybe they are doing it for sales, maybe it's for the benefit of the customer (e.g. me when i was diffing the geddy lee jazz bass.) Even though I realize wyhyou think the idea is stupid and over the top, and i will admit it is over the top, but that's the way they work. They are dedicated....if you read on their site ed roman noticed that cleaning with generic guitar cloths put tiny scratches in black fifshes and now only carries a blended material cloth that doesnt harm finish......it's just who they are, and it bothers me but i have to repect it, that's all.

Hope we're cool,.....are you in vegas regularly...if so I'm literally always there no matter what during august, hope we can get in touch.

MF:

Like I said before, I definitely agree with the spirit of the intention...to keep new basses in pristine condition for the buying customers. So, lock them behind a door or in a case...don't charge admission though, that's ridiculous IMHO (and it is merely my opinion). And yes, we're cool... :thu:

I'm here for a conference, and probably will be every January. If you're ever in the Raleigh area, look me up...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave, i am not gigging publicly until friday night ( in the studio the rest of the week and a couple of privates corporates)

i will be at the showroom at the Gold Coast with Latin Breeze

www.latinbreeze.com

both friday and saturday nights from 11 to 2 - its a big Salsa band. Call me ( 702 205 5727 ) and i can leave your name at the door.

Worthy of checking out, you JUST missed Morrie Louden who moved to NY - he is a world class upright bassist and he was at the Bellagio Baccarat Bar with Mike Eckroth - a wonderful pianist ( who I am doing the sessions for )- Chris Gordon was there tonight when i stopped by and he sounds great on UB as well.

Electric players, its hit or miss around the lounges-

If you are still here Sunday night, there is a jam session at the Hurricane Bar and Grill - a lot of people come out and sit in, Victor Wooten sat in all night a few weeks ago! I may go this week. I have the basses that are seen in my IN STOCK NOW page at my site

www.accessbass.com

except for the Zon which just sold- i have the MTD, the white Lull, the KSD Jazz 5, a couple of Skjolds and a Lakland 55-94 if you want to check them out. Enjoy your stay in Vegas!

by the way, i saw the Havana Night Club show at the Stardust again tonight and it is a great show if you dig Cuban music, and gorgeous dancers.

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

I had the pleasure of meeting Bassaddik tonight (Friday) night. I went to see his Salsa band "Latin Breeze" play at the Gold Coast. (Adrian, thanks for putting me on the guest list!)

Adrian is a fantastic bassist, as I've witnessed in person. Latin Breeze is also fantastic...the floor was packed with people dancing! The percussion section, horn section, bass...man, they all just lay down some fantastic grooves!

I had a great conversation with Adrian over a beer (thanks for the beer too, fella!). He is just a super nice guy. (Really enjoyed talking with ya man!) I didn't get a chance to see his Nordstrand 5-string up close or play it, but it sure looked and sounded sweet from the audience.

Bassaddik, I'm glad you're doing well here in Las Vegas. If you're ever in the Raleigh NC area again, please look me up and let me return some of the hospitality!

L8r,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave, it was MY pleasure meeting you, man! Very cool!

it was a strange night because of some sound problems due to having a new show start in the same showroom this week and everyone is making adjustments to accomodate both events.

Still, GOTTA HAVE FUN PLAYING! Sorry you didnt get to check out the Nordie, next time! Hope you had a good trip back and come back soon! Stay in touch!- peace, Adrian

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

NO PICTURES???

minus two LDLD brotherhood points.

nice to hear that more of us are meeting each other tho. After the nyc LDLD gathering, reading the post of someone that i met has an entirely different feeling now. Don't know how to describe it...but i'm sure that others feel the same way.

jason

ps- had dsisk met conniez, he would've lost LDLD familyhood points.

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Archived