Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pedalboard carpeting...

Bass_god_offspring

Hey guys/girls.

i am currently in process of planning out building a pedalboard. i know what the shape and demensions are going to be, the only snag i am having is the carpet stuff that is used in conjucntion with velco to keep the pedals in place.

anyone know where i could find it? or something else that would keep the pedals in place?

thanks a lot!

:wave:

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go to your local fabric and/or craft store. You can get the velco in bulk. They probably also have the best glue to use to attach the hook and pile (if using a smooth surface, use rubber contact cement).

Beats paying the $60 to $120 for a commercial built pedal board.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Go to your local fabric and/or craft store. You can get the velco in bulk. They probably also have the best glue to use to attach the hook and pile (if using a smooth surface, use rubber contact cement).

Beats paying the $60 to $120 for a commercial built pedal board.

thanks a ton dude!

a.) so i would just ask for normal felt cloth?

b.) whats a "hook and pile"?

thanks again :thu:

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

awsome. plywood was what i had in mind, same with the 1/2" thickness.

this is a quick sketch of it using paint...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/Bass_god_offspring/pedalboard.bmp

As you can see i am planning for the future (i don't have a whammy, power block, synth wah, or pedal tuner....yet)

:D

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

You may want to put a layer of urethane over the plywood after sanding and cleaning it. The smooth surface will lend itself to adhesives better.
call me stupid but...what is Urethane??? :confused: how much is it? where would i get it?

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Originally posted by Matt C:

That carpeting is hard to find, but you can get it from Parts Express, a pro-audio mail-order catalog I highly recommend. Here\'s the stuff you want to use

While I'm a great admirer of Parts Express as well, you CAN get the carpeting at your local Pep Boys, of all places.

And you can get Velcro at WalMart in the fabric department in 2"x6' rolls. The hook part works in the Pep Boys fabric really well, and is adhesive-backed for sticking on your pedals.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by Social Critic:

You may want to put a layer of urethane over the plywood after sanding and cleaning it. The smooth surface will lend itself to adhesives better.

I'd go one step further and say paint the hunk o' wood before doing anything to it. I'd say go with good old spray paint (in your choice of fine colors). Stencil your name on the bottom of the board so that if you see someone walking away with it you know who to throw the beat down to. Then poly it.

You can get wipe on polyurethane at any hardware store. It will be in the same aisle as stain and varnish. Should take a couple of days or so to completely dry/set but you will be happy of the results.

It worked for me!

You should still seal it before painting it. A can of wood seal will reduce the amount of acutal paint you would need by a third.

Use this sequence:

1) measure

2) measure

3) cut

4) sand

5) clean

6) seal

7) paint/shellac

8) poly

9) rug

Yeah, it's complicated, but if you plan on stomping on this damned thing for several years, might as well do it up right.

As the old saying goes, measure once, cut twice. Or something like that.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

You can get seperate rolls of "hook & pile" from NAPA auto parts. The have a peel & stick adhesive already on them. Just cut the size you want. I had good luck with my black spray painted piece of plywood I use for a pedal board. Had it one year & the pedals still don't budge.

thanks a lot guys!

i am looking at that Carpeting from Parts Express and it looks promising. i might just go to my local fabric outlet though. if they don't have it their, then i will definitly buy the one from parts express.

Question-I don't know about the urethane/spray paint/sealer thing though. wouldn't it be easier, and more durable if i staple gunned the carpet to the board? if i'm going to have the rug over it, whats the point in the spray paint, wood thinner, and urethane?

Question 2-i have a piece of about 1/2" fiber board. would that work as well as plywood? (My father said it would, but i want mulitple opinions)

thanks again for all the help.

:thu:

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Thanks Dan. It's a Pedaltrain Jr. . I like it a lot. $99. Worth every penny.

First off, if you're buying the both sides of the Velcro (by 3M), why do you need the carpeting? Just for looks? The Velcro is hook and loop and it'll stick better if it's attaching to the loop rather than the pile of the carpet.

Sealing the wood is a good idea regardless. Why do you think? (that's the quiz part of the post).

Maury

Hey there BGO,

Fiberboard is what many refer to as "Bachelor Furntiture." It's not bad if you are going to let it sit there, but start move it around, and after a while, it will start loosening up. Plus, it is heavier than plywood.

When looking at your plan, think if you would be able to build a cover as well. Your board, so your design, just an idea. Good luck, and here's a board with cover that I think is interesting.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/54/544728.jpg

ATM

My first board warped (3/8"-1/2" plywood). Had a couple of pieces of 1/4" Lexan (sp?)I pre-drilled some holes cleaned 'em up put a bunch of stainless steel screws tcinch them together, then cut out the outline, and carrying handle out, and raidused the corners. Very clean stays flat is a liitle flexable, ground off the back off the screws and left just a liitle sticking out the backside to hold the board on place on any stage, even cement! Got some pieces of Velcro (male/female sticky back) 2"x4" from Home Depot and they fit and hang on like a champ. The key might be it's Lexan...it's very tough/tight/clean. Everyone raves on it. My old plywood was spray painted black. This is clear clean...all edges radiused. And the handle I cut out to the pattern of my hand/fingers...clean/simple.

Email if you want.

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Thanks Dan. It's a Pedaltrain Jr.. I like it a lot. $99. Worth every penny.

First off, if you're buying the both sides of the Velcro (by 3M), why do you need the carpeting? Just for looks? The Velcro is hook and loop and it'll stick better if it's attaching to the loop rather than the pile of the carpet.

Sealing the wood is a good idea regardless. Why do you think? (that's the quiz part of the post).

Maury

ok, this is the deal...

i have velcro on the bottom of all of my pedals already, and i have extra velcro for more pedals. now, the part that i need is the Carpeting that the hook end of the velcro attaches to. i would cover my whole board in the carpet, so i can place my pedals wherever i want.

sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, i figured the same thing about the fiberboard, the only thing is that 1/2" plywood is like 20.00. and that's a lot when your a teenager, so i am trying to spend as little money as possible while still building a good board.

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Ask the clerks at the hardware store where they keep the 1/4 sheets of plywood. Home Depot (and others) sell 1/2 and 1/4 sheets and they won't cost you as much. Or go to a construction site and ask to check their scrap pile, that won't cost you anything! :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by Bass_god_offspring:

ok, this is the deal...

i have velcro on the bottom of all of my pedals already, and i have extra velcro for more pedals. now, the part that i need is the Carpeting that the hook end of the velcro attaches to. i would cover my whole board in the carpet, so i can place my pedals wherever i want.

sorry for the confusion.

When you purchased the Velcro to put on the back of the pedals, did it not come with the "loop" side (the opposite side that you attached to your pedal)?

The "LOOP" side of the Velcro will hold better than any carpet you put on your pedalboard.

If you have the "LOOP" side, why would you need the carpeting?

I like Vince's idea about the Lexan. You can also get that at Home Depot.

Also, you didn't answer the question regarding sealing the wood. ;)

well, right now i am almost 100% done with the board, having done most of it yesterday.

I did seal all the wood to make it stronger and better able to accept the spray on adhesive that i used. i used L Shaped fasteners and wood glue to secure the stepped up part of the board. The fiber board is 3/8" thick, and seems to be pretty sturdy. i have also bought metal edging to go around the edges of the board to keep it from chipping.

The Carpeting i bought is working very well in conjunction with my pedals. it's a type of Felt that is very corse (thus better for Velco), at a very cheap price.

the total cost of this project was 30.00, a lot less than what i would pay for a whole new board that size.

my next project is to build a case for it. i already have found what i would need at Parts Express, all at a reasonable price too.

i'll post pictures of it when it's completely done.

:thu:

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Archived