Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK, you have $5,000 to spend...

RalphM

Originally posted by Steve Lawson:

I wonder if I could buy some talent with that money?
...it'd certainly pay for some lessons, and maybe a coupla weeks in a cabin without the internet or TV to get some practice done! :P

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

Ohhh, I could do a world tour and take lessons from all the respected teachers from the lowdown.

Seriously, I have no concept of what I would do with 5000 dollars on one bass. I would probably buy an L2000, maybe a nice old P-bass, maybe a Stingray. Or I would just buy an L2000 and take my "buying talent world tour" with the rest of it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea what Mr. Nordstrand charges for his instruments but I would like to have a 12ver (triple-coursed 4str) in THIS STYLE . I really like this ebony look but I would want the maple curly instead of straight grained. However, he has some beautiful top woods available so Id have to see what he had on hand at the time before I made my final decision.

* sigh *

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I was thinking along those lines but why?

I think i'd shove it in a high interest bank account for a few years and then spend spend spend so i'd have an extra £1500 or something. Probably would upgrade my amp and buy some pedals, im pretty happy with my set up at the mo, i've got the basics.

Nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Sense i nice alembic or carl thompson would stil be out of my range, I would go with a Cb bass or a D huff. They are damn sweet looking. 4 string freetted, probably similar to the ball bass on the cb for sale page right now.

http://www.cbbasses.com/images/bl-041225b1.jpg

We distort. You abide.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:
Originally posted by LizzyD:

NOT an Alembic though. :bor::D

Oh! Hey! Look who just got on the "not ever going to play my new bass" list!!
Don't you want to convert her to the dark side (or in this case, the "sandwich" side)?

I can't get what I want with 5K. Sad, isn't it :(

I'd like a Dammann 5 and a Read Custom 4 and an MTD. Leave off the MTD and I'll make it.

I need amplification at the moment, but I see that's off the table. :(

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

Originally posted by Bumpcity:
Originally posted by LizzyD:

NOT an Alembic though. :bor::D

Oh! Hey! Look who just got on the "not ever going to play my new bass" list!!
Don't you want to convert her to the dark side (or in this case, the "sandwich" side)?

I can't get what I want with 5K. Sad, isn't it :(

I'd like a Dammann 5 and a Read Custom 4 and an MTD. Leave off the MTD and I'll make it.

I need amplification at the moment, but I see that's off the table. :(

Tom

Some people get Gas. But sir, I believe you have diahrea :D ........wait, that's not funny it's just amazingly pathetic :cry:

Just Kiddin....now time to spread the luv :D

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

5K is a lot of money.

Last time I fell into 4K (scratching a 1 dollar lottery ticket a few years ago) I paid off my credit card, took my family out to eat, took my fellow teachers out to eat, gave some away, and bought nearly a thousand bucks of rackmount gear...the BBE, the Alesis Compressor, the Alesis Midiverb and stuff like that.

That stuff sits in my studio taking up room. I have not used it in several years.

There are so many other needs around here and elsewhere. I gotta get my pool fixed, for one. Kids cars, general upkeep on the house.

But you specified bass. Well, I need to replace the URB my kid is obviously going to take to college. An old Juzek might be the ticket, or one of them new Romanian ones.

Electric bass? Well, I'd like an original Spector and an original MusicMan, and a Reverend.

But ya can't play more'n one at at time.

And Willie: thanks for the trip! But if that happened, I've have to give mine to Jeremy and turn around so we both could study. :D

It would be nice some summer to do a LowDown gathering somewhere. Put faces to the personalities around these parts.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

Originally posted by jeremy c:

I'll take an MTD 6 string. Please make it blue.

So would I if it had another three frets! But as MTDs don't, then I'll take a Ken Smith 6. Or a Dingwall (if I can fathom how to palm-mute comfortably with a fanned bridge...)
yea, they do

http://www.michaeldimin.com/mtd535b.jpg

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

And Willie: thanks for the trip! But if that happened, I've have to give mine to Jeremy and turn around so we both could study. :D

Really, I'd be happy to do it if I had $5K earmarked for music.

Oh yeah, that trip would be about a week -- I don't think I specified in the original post.

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

It would be nice some summer to do a LowDown gathering somewhere. Put faces to the personalities around these parts.

No kidding. Hmmmm, summertime -- maybe Vancouver Island? Although something more central might be the ticket... 0-9's house? TX might be too warm.

Maybe a visit with greenboy in Montana? SteveC, how would the new wife feel about a bunch of us crashing at your pad?

:D

Toronto, Canada might be a pleasant summer destination...

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

5k....hmmmmm well i'd get a lakland joe osborn (candy red with a pearl pickguard and maple board), musicman sterling (see-thru red with white pearl guard and maple board) maybe a Benloy bass or an Ibanez SR3000e, or hell, with 5k i could get all of them an still have change for lunch :D

Sweets said:Toronto, Canada might be a pleasant summer destination...
If we're having a lowdown meeting in Canada in the summer i would suggest montreal, im sure you'd all love the jazz fest.

peace

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Although something more central might be the ticket... 0-9's house? TX might be too warm.

You're all welcome here! 45-55 minutes to Make N Music, Chicago Music Exchange, the Lakland Factory, and about 5 Guitar Centers; a bit longer to Flynn Brothers and other Evanston Boutiques, as well as Washburn and Hamer (don't know if they do tours). There's also LAG and Blueberry Hill.

More fun, however, is that WCuhna and I live about 90 minutes from Summer NAMM! The kinder, gentler NAMM. And Indianapolis has really spruced up lately, I hear. I expect all of you to figure out a way to get there. Even you NY/NJ guys. :D

At any rate, you're all welcome. You can all help change diapers. :P

*And yes, I spent a very hot 4 months in Dallas a few years ago, commuting back to a scorching Chicago on weekends. But Dallas was arctic compared to the steambath that was Houston for 3 months the next summer. Sometimes, consulting is really hard...and other times, it's worse. :D Oh! and then there was San Antonio 3 years ago when I saw, from my hotel window, a Shoney's floating down the expressway...

"For instance" is not proof.

I'll be in Chicago on March 10 for 3 days of fun with 130 HS students. Our band is trying to march in the St. Patrick's day parade, I think.

Full calendar then, though, to include a midnight dinner cruise on the lake. We're staying at some classy hotel downtown.

If there is a way for me to squeeze out an hour somewhere maybe I could hang with Chicago Lowdowners...I'd like that.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Archived