Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happy 58th Birthday, Jonesy

Rick Hoffman

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had many reasone for wanting to pick up the bass, but I can surely say John PAul Jones is the reason I kept the bass. Big words from a little man.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Happy birthday, Mr. Jones!

You were on two of my first four albums when I spent part of my first paycheck at the record store. And it wasn't long after that when I got my first bass and spent years deciphering your patterns. Just a few days ago I caught "The Song Remains The Same" on TV, and though I understand and support your work apart from that band, it always comes back to remind me about happier times and the endless ways one can generates melodies on just four strings. Though I am much older today, it always makes me feel young again hearing your patterns played somewhere within hearing distance. When one considers the endless parade of inhuman souls feeding off the less fortunate, you've inspired hundreds, perhaps thousands, to reach beyond the confines of mere survival. This should justify in part your years of steadfast devotion to your craft and your choice of artistic expression.

Bless you and thanks for everything!

:wave:

Yeah! Jonesy was also my first influence , and I can say I desciphered his bass lines years long (back in... 1983), practically the whole Zep's discography, and that was my main music school during the first formative years. The rhythmic section he formed with Bonzo is probably the heaviest and most rock-bottom solid I've ever heard in the history or rock. :cool: Forget the one and thousand pale imitations. :bor: That was the one and only real thing!

"If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn"

Charlie Parker

Archived