Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happy NY! Gotta question...

Grant Sharkey

Hi all,

We're just about to release an album (i'm sure you all know, but I have to say it) called Burgers. As a band with only two bass palyers and a drummer, it's really ahrd to market to the blinkered music press in general without being regarded as some sort of freak show.

But the album is not all about the bass playing (to us they are still just the instruments we write and play on) but we need to get people to look past the 'gimmick' first impressions and actually listen to the songs for what they are saying and to the tunes for the musicality of them.

It quite easy to get bass players to listen to the stuff (because bass players are cool) but it's still hard to try and market the band in a way that makes other peole sit up.

It also doesn't help that we have never fit into a particular genre or label - we're never into that. For us and our fans it's all about having a good time (who would ever be happy playing one style of music?)

So if you have any ideas on how to get the word out about the new album or the band (besides playing live) it would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Grant - Toupe

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do a "British Beef in the USA" tour! I'd come see ya'! :thu:

Oooops, you said besides playing live... :(;)

I'll have to go back and listen to some Toupe' samples again, and maybe I'll be able to suggest a couple of different "genres" you can use to pigeonhole yourself with. ;) Seriously, though, maybe your music overlaps a couple of different categories, and categories help people make sense of the world (that's the sociologist in me talking) as well as play a significant role in marketing these days.

I know you're in touch with Amy from Clatter. Have you tried to get some info from her about how to approach this?

Good luck.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Do a "British Beef in the USA" tour! I'd come see ya'! :thu:

Oooops, you said besides playing live... :(;)

I'll have to go back and listen to some Toupe' samples again, and maybe I'll be able to suggest a couple of different "genres" you can use to pigeonhole yourself with. ;) Seriously, though, maybe your music overlaps a couple of different categories, and categories help people make sense of the world (that's the sociologist in me talking) as well as play a significant role in marketing these days.

I know you're in touch with Amy from Clatter. Have you tried to get some info from her about how to approach this?

Good luck.

Peace.

--SW

Thanks man,

Yeah, the one thing i wish we really had over here was a good local radio secene in each section of Britain - most of our radio is very formulaic and never really supports it's local/different acts like in the states - the intorweb is our best hope for that sort of exposure.

I must admit we're thinking outside of the box a little an never marketing for a great UK reaction - we know there are better music scenes in Europe and the US/Can/Aus for us to work with - so we've set up the Toupé Members Club - so we can treat all those guys out there fairly and not have some distributor rip them off with some 'import' sticker.

All the samples are at http://www.toupe.co.uk/listen.html if you want some ideas.

Thanks again

Archived