Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Geddy Lee re-issue, fair trade for a Ric 4003?

Cup_dup1

Hi all! Within the last 6 months I've bought a MIM Fender Jazz Fretless. This has been my first major bass purchase since my beloved Ric 4003 some 3 or so years ago.

Since buying the fretless, I play my Ric increasingly less and less. Maybe it's due to lack of hands on practice, but the Ric now feels clumsy and ugly in my hands. Last week I filled in for a local punk band, and so for two of the three rehearsal I played the Ric, thinking the sound would better suit the music. The music was so fast I really struggled to complete even the most basic of basslines in time with the band. For the third rehearsal I brought the f/less along and things were much easier (rehearsals were not recorded so I can't comment on intonation). Against my better judgement I brought the Ric to the gig. Adrenaline powered the drummer along to even greater speeds and I died on my arse.

I came off stage hating myself for messing up and vowing never to play the Ric again! Harsh thoughts for someone, who only months ago LOVED that bass.

To cut a long story short, I've fallen in love with the thinner faster necks that Fenders offer.

I've put an ad up on my local music forum stating that I would willingly trade my Ric for a M.I.A Fender Jazz, preferrably a Geddy Lee model. I've only read about them here, mostly from D.C.R and of course Benloy...who now owns the copyright :)

I got a reply from a guy who's willing to trade. He has a Geddy Lee re-issue. I've researched on the Fender site and another local music site, according to that the Geddy Lee re-issue's retail at £625 including V.A.T. My Ric cost over £1000 after V.A.T.

Do you folks here on the Lowdown think I'd be getting ripped off?

Plus, anywhere I've researched I can't seem to find the country of origin, though I seem to remember from reading here that G.Lee's are made both in Japan and America.

Hope there's some sense to be found in my post.

Unfortunately I can't buy the Geddy Lee and keep the Ric. Funds simply won't allow it.

Thanks in advance.

Conor

Grizzly Bears Don't Fear Anyone.

Angry Cheetahs Emerge Growling.

I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd say that i understand you wanting to trade for the geddy, but maybe you should try to get a couple of bucks in from that guy as your ric did cost a considerably higher price . . . .

good luck

zach

If you look at ebay you'll find Ric's have a much higher value than Fenders. New a Geddy Lee model is about half the cost of a used 4003.

I think if you sold your bass, and then looked for a Fender, you'd have some money leftover.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Thanks for the responses so far!

I have checked Ebay U.K. Currently there's a G'Lee sitting at £375 (reserve not met) and the buy now feature sits at £625 (I could buy a new one for that) with 2 days of bidding to run.

There's a few Ric's for sale too (some brand new - £795) some others sitting at £350 with at least three days to run:eek: Daylight robbery surely!

My problem stems not from the price, but from buying blind! Belfast, my local main town, has a somewhat limited selection of basses. If I were to sell my Ric via ebay and maybe lose quite a lot of money on it, my only option would be to get a bass ordered in. The afore mentioned fretless was bought blind. I tried two, the first had a buzzing sound, that my bass teacher could only link to truss rod vibration. The second has three dead spots (5,6,7) on the G string. I decided on the 2nd as over-all I was happy for the price.

Because of these mail order problem in the past I'd prefer to play before I buy, with a straight trade, or a few £'s + bass in my direction, I could set up some sort of two week trial that would keep the both of us happy.

I've also never used Ebay before, this coupled with the buying blind problem, only adds to my dilemma.

Eddie as much as love the Ric, I know I'm only holding onto it through sentimental reasons. It's a chore to play. If it didn't look so good I'd have probably sold it on by now.

Any more advice?

Cheers,

Conor.

Ohh and in the three or so years since I bought mine, Ric 4003's now retail at the slightly lower price of £949.

Hey Conor my Irish brother how are ya? I own a MIA Fender Jazz and I would never part with it. I can play anything on that bass. I recently bought a Spector which has a longer/thicker neck and I would have to play that bass for some time before I take it out on a gig.

Maybe thats the issue? Practice and play on your Ric for a week straight and your hands will get used to the neck again...or if you must do the trade its not an entirely bad thing to go from a Ric to an american Fender...

Whatever you decide to do I hope it works out in your favor and you are pleased. Good luck...

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Aside from the price issues, it seems that maybe your Rickenbacker is in dire need of a setup. A good setup can make any instrument play much better. I think it might be worth your time to pursue that first.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Thanks for the response!

I wasn't sure where they were made, the descriptions on ebay strangely didn't mention it (or I missed it), cheers for clearing that up Getz!

Nicklab,I played the bass constantly since I got it and before I bought the f/less I thought it was a great playing bass. Fair enough, it's never been set up professionally, but it intonates perfectly all the up the neck, stays in tune for weeks inside the case and the action is just how I like it.

Overall, it seems most who've responded are in favour of the Ric staying. I'll bear that in mind. I'm organising a weeks mutual loan between this guy and myself. If we both fall in love with the each others basses? I'll report back about what sort of deal we've struck. I'm determined not to get my eye wiped here, thats why I asked you folks.

In the mean time, thank you and give me more opinions if you like!

Cheers,

Conor.

Funny you should mention this, because when I bought my BenLoy (aka Geddy Lee) bass two years ago, I basically did so to replace my Ric 4003 as my #1 bass!

I'm definitely glad I got the Jazz bass. It is delightful, & I'll never part with it. However, I also love my Ric now more than ever before, as well. What changed? Well, I did. When I play my Ric now, I can get sounds out of it that I just thought it was incapable of 2 years ago, because my technique has gotten so much better in that time. Heck, even with roundwound steels & pickups panned for maximum growl, I can still get some seriously sweet R&B tones out of that thing, without any outboard EQ. I always thought it was a good bass, but as I've improved, I've come to see that it really is a great bass.

It definitely doesn't feel like a Fender. However, I've found that between any 2 basses with significantly different feels, going to the one when I've been playing the other constantly for a long period feels a bit jarring at first. It gets easier, though.

Still, not everything is for everyone, and if you're at that crossroad & really want to swap, that's fine. I'll agree, though, that the price difference between the 2 instruments is quite significant. In the US, a new Ric 4003 will probably cost about $1200-$1300 (with case), while a new Geddy will probably cost about $550-$650 (less case). In fact, the used market in Ric basses starts in the same range as new Geddy basses. I imagine the proportionate differences are probably comparable your side of the Atlantic. So I wouldn't think that a straight trade would be a good deal, economically. But you may decide that economics aside, you need the one over the other enough to be willing to absorb the loss in the trade. But only AFTER you've tried trade packages that more or less retain equity!

Thanks for the experienced point of view dcr (not deriding anyone else who reponded btw). Every now and again when I do pick up the Ric' I truly love the tones available, it's just the playability that turns me off.

Many people call the Ric a one trick pony, but if anything I can get a bigger selection of tones out of it compared with the f/less. Maybe that's because I know it better, maybe due to the flats on the f/less? I don't know really.

Sonically the Ric is fantastic, but the neck just feels massive in my hands. I should probably take others advice, put the f/less away and get to know the ric again!

Cheers.

Originally posted by Conor:

Sonically the Ric is fantastic, but the neck just feels massive in my hands. I should probably take others advice, put the f/less away and get to know the ric again!

Conor, I'm honestly not surprised to see you say that. The neck shapes on a jazz bass and a Rick are drastically different.

But looking at it from a cost standpoint, your Rick is worth much more than the Fender. In the US, your bass is nearly double the price of a Fender Geddy Lee model.

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Originally posted by Quinn:

I agree with the other comments.

If you really want the Geddy Lee, sell your Ric. You should make enough on the sale to buy a new GL AND have a couple hundred bucks left over.

Hi Quinn, I know if were to take a chance on the Ebay, I'd probably earn enough to buy a new G'Lee, but it's the buying blind aspect that worries me. There's literally NO shops in N.Ireland that have them in stock. I'd have to oder from England. The only workable option is if I could earn enough to cover the return flight to London. It's not a chance I'd be willing to take!

Kenfxj, I'm in about thirty minds as we speak! I think I'll try the weeks trial period, if I'm sold after that, and DO trade I can repent at leisure. They're only guitars after all...aren't they? ;):eek::mad:

Originally posted by kenfxj:

Conor,

Please see the thread about 'the one that got away'.

If you loved that Ric as much as you say, you're going to regret getting rid of it. Eventually.

I regret letting my Ric get away. I miss it quite a bit now.

Keep the ric.

I had that I played for about 10 years, and it was my first bass (that I bought) I have regretted selling it since seeing it walk down the driveway.

Those Fenders are a dime a dozen. There is nothing unique about them in my 'hands'. The Ric will hold it's value better, and after it sits in the closet for a long time, you will pull it out and fall back in love with it.

The trade puts you on the short end of the stick as well. Sell it, but I'd look around. For what a 4003 goes for, there are several other basses that offer more fleixbility in tone and playing style than the GL Fender.

To me, Rics are special basses. They have a very narrow focus tone wise, but there are few things that have that 'growl'. Keep it.

About a year ago, I traded a Ric 4003 that I loved (but didn't quite connect with) for a Lakland 44-01 (very close to the value of a Geddy Lee Jazz.) I couldn't be happier. The 44-01 fits me like a glove and is my go-to bass when I want to be completely comfortable with an instrument and focus on the music.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on the 44-01, just testifying that if you think you'd connect more with the Geddy, go for it. In the end if you end up with your ideal bass, it's priceless anyway, no matter what the retail.

...simply stating.

Originally posted by Conor:

Eddie as much as love the Ric, I know I'm only holding onto it through sentimental reasons. It's a chore to play. If it didn't look so good I'd have probably sold it on by now.

Any more advice?

Yeah : Keep the Ric :D Even if you're only gonna hang it against the wall and look at it with a sentimental gaze ... at least it'll be there !!

I sold my dirt-cheap Samick (a Musicman imitation) for 60 euro (paid 40 for it) and at the time I was happy with the little bit of extra cash. That money is long spent, but the guitar is gone too :cry:

I miss that piece of wood. The sound was quite crappy but the neck was a dream (mind you, I prefer my Ibanez over that bass - neck included) and I'm sure that, given how I played then and how much (if any) progress I've made now, I'd have got more out of the Samick now than when I sold it.

To summarize : keep the Ric.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

With the way airline rates are going and a weak US dollar, you could always fly to the US, get a bass, and fly back. You might be able to do a round trip CHEAP. Bring a trashed instrument with you in a case and ditch it here in the US and bring the Geddy Lee back for "customs" purposes. ;)

This topic definitely hits home! About 5 years ago I switched from my beloved 1972 Rick 4001 to a MIM Fender Jazz as my main performance bass. While I love the Jazz, I've recently rediscovered my Rick and it is now my primary instrument once again. For me, it is just a superior instrument all around. I wouldn't be surprised if you really regret giving up your 4003 some day.

BTW, I liked Geddy's tone MUCH better when he played his Rick! :) Listen to his tone on "Hemispheres" - it doesn't get any better than that...

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Hemispheres is my favorite Rush album tone wise.

I have a Geddy bass as well. I have heard many people say that the Ric can be a beast to play. Without thinking too much, I'll just guess it an individual thing. Depends who you are. I'm sure you'd be happy with the Geddy. But your Ric is worth more, playability and tastes aside. See if you can sell it for what it's worth first if you really wanna get rid of it. Not, as a trade. Let us know how it goes!

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

I sold my 4001 many years ago.

At times I have regretted the loss, and lamented its absence. But those times are few and far-between. I miss my Ibanez 940 far more, and far more often.

Most times, I am fundamentally pleased that I got rid of it, simply because doing so afforded me the basses I have now, and much prefer.

Also, the changes in my direction, both where I was headed at the time musically, and the changes changing basses put me through, were invaluable.

If money was not an issue, I'd probably get another Ric, just because, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

I agree with the general sentiment, it's a great bass, you like it, keep it if you can. And it may be as simple as putting some time in, try to make friends again.

But if it means having something else you'd play more, or something else that fits in more with where you are at now, it could be the right move.

Either way, be sure to get some cash in the equation as well, as the disparity of price is substantial.

Or, as said, fly over here and start shopping! I saw a NYC/London round trip for slightly over $200.00! :eek:

Good luck...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Tough call. I've owned both of these basses. Actually, I've had about 3 of each at one time or another. Both are great basses.

It's hard when that GAS or "wanderlust to roam" hits you. I am in a similar financial situation where I can't justify more than 2 basses at once. When I want to try something new, something old has to go. I miss many of my old basses, but I also like the new ones and experimenting.

I'd say go with the jazz. You can always get another Ric...and another jazz...and another Ric...and another...........

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I'm trying to be as objective as possible. The Ric is the first bass I've owned that I really had to break my back to afford (3 year bank loan secured that and my SVT3pro). But as stated by a few people, I've moved on. Getting the F/Less Jazz was a pivital(?) moment - am I being melodramatic? And the Ric just doesn't feel right.

Whatever guitar I have, it's just a tool, fair enough, I'm sure carpenters fall in love with certain planes, but it's just a tool. Four strings making noises.

The guy is dropping the G'Lee over at the weekend, I'll try it out for a week, show it to my teacher for a quick once over, and I fall in love and think "I must have this"? I'll talk terms with the guy.

A little monetary loss wouldn't kill me. If this bass is the perfect bass? I'm accepting nothing less than hand in glove.

I'll let you know how this works out.

Cheers,

Conor.

Archived