Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ben and Jeremy

jeremy c

Yesterday afternoon I had the extreme pleasure of a visit to my home by Ben Loy. We had a great time hanging out, jamming, eating dinner, etc.

He is an extremely nice guy and an excellent player.

Here we are jamming in my dining room. He's playing my Mike Lull bass, I'm playing my Paul Reed Smith 5 string.

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone5/BenJer.JPG

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have a double scoop cone of "Cherry Garcia", please...

Oh, you said "Ben and JerEMEy"!! I thought you guys were making ice cream for a sec.

Always cool when forumites get to hang! Looks like you guys had fun!!! :thu:

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Right on, Ben and Jeremy!

Thats cool I'd like to visit some of you guys too. Its cool to be able to meet such esteemed players through this forum, to meet them in person must be a real priveledge.

Did you pick up any tips, Ben? The next time I go to SF I will have to shoot Jeremy C. an email.

Looks like you guys had fun. Ben you look like a wild n crazy guy from that picture.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Ben doesn't need any tips from me.

He is a very impressive player and I wish I played that well at age 29.

:eek: WEEE'RE NOT WORRRRTHY!!!! :D

Jeremy, the pleasure was all mine to come out and visit you.

My NYC subway-navigation skills apparently didn't translate over well into navigating the MUNI and BART systems...but despite the screwed-up holiday schedule on New Year's Day, I mangaged to make the trip from my sister's apartment in SF to Berkeley in one piece...albeit an hour later than we had agreed upon. Oh, and my cellphone battery had died...thank god for payphones and calling cards.

Jeremy and his wife picked me up and drove me back to his lovely home. We sat and chatted about music and sports for awhile before the basses came out...at which point we both started geeking out while his wife retired to the bedroom to read a book.

As you can see from the photo, I got to play the blue bass. It's everything everyone has said it was. His Jazz bass is a sweet instrument as well.

We had some fun jamming on some funk vamps...then we attempted to cop that seasick feel that Pino Palladino gets on those D'Angelo records (with much laughing), and traded some choruses of "Autumn Leaves" with Jeremy on his fretless Sterling and me on his Fernandes P-Bass copy.

For the record, Jeremy busted out some lovely triple-stop chords over a funk vamp we were jamming on that impressed the hell out of me.

Overall the hang factor was excellent. Jeremy's has a lot of great stories, including a great tale about the sordid history of his '71 Jazz.

It was getting late, and I became worried that I wouldn't make it back to SF on time to make the last CALTRAIN train to Palo Alto. So Jeremy, being the fine gentleman he is, offered to take me to dinner (at one of the most fabulous mexican restaurants in Berkely...mmmmm) and drive me back to SF to the train station. What a guy. :D

Jeremy, it was a pleasure enjoying your hospitality and I thank you. Please convey my apologies to your wife for forgetting her name (oops), and I'll definately drop you a line the next time I'm in town. Oh, and next time dinner's on me.

:thu:

Yea Ben, the BART system is weird at first but incredibly simple and easy when you get the hang of it. I think I still have a card layin around somewhere with about 8 bucks on it...found it in my wallet after I moved! Maybe I should mail it out to a friend so it gets used...

So, did you guys have a metronome or were you just tappin your foot? I love playing funk. You can be only playing 2 notes but if you know what you're doin' with the funk factor you can make some really cool noise. When it comes to playing that kind of stuff I like having a 16th note drum beat goin on with some kind of funky syncopated rhythm between the high-hat, bass, and snare...

:D

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

it's funny that no one ever comes on the LDLD to say things like:

"I met person x and they sucked"

This must be because other lowdowners have yet to critique my playing.

benloy: ms cohen could've worked.

nice story guys.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Holy Cow. ;) Rock on, guys, great pics.

There is definitely the pilgrimage to the J.C. whenever the folks here on the LDL get out to Northern Cali. Nice.

Jeremy, I'm hoping you have some "public" gigs come late May. I'll hopefully be back out there with a bit more of a crew. ;)

Originally posted by getz76:

There is definitely the pilgrimage to the J.C. whenever the folks here on the LDL get out to Northern Cali. Nice.

Ain't it, though?! It's almost a requirement to hang w/ J.

I also recommend trying to get south of San Fran a bit to see Whappo and Wally Malone if the opportunity presents itself (or get them to come up). It's a real treat to get to hear Wally and Lady Bo perform.

Maybe I'll be able to catch up with even more Cali LDLers when I'm out there this summer. I'd really like to make the road trip south from Monterey to Yucaipa, CA so I can shake Carey Nordstrand's hand (and maybe play the "spruce goose" for a quick minute)!

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Great pix guys, it is nice to LDL'ers from both coasts hangin' out. I hope to meet some myself one day, but I think I'll just listen when I do. Jeremy- you are definetly the owner of a world class shit-eating grin, and I mean that as a compliment.

www.ethertonswitch.com

it's funny that no one ever comes on the LDLD to say things like:

"I met person x and they sucked"

I met Capasso, and he bit me.

Ben Loy didn't.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Congrats on a solid hang. Having done most of that stuff with Jeremy (everything but the great playing), I know you had a great time.

So, are you done debating about that Lull? It's a good way to go...

And I'll have to dig up the photos somehow. Ben and I met CMDN. Ben was cordial to Erik (as usual), while I bit him. I'm overdue for a trip to Philly - I feel the need to slide a chair in the general CMDN direction....

Thanks to the "ice cream guys" for the posts and pics. I'm sure the time was "smooth, cool, and tasty" - just like Tedster imagined when he scooped up this thread.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Congrats, JC, on meeting Ben.

For those yet to do so, I have heard Ben play, onstage and off, and the guy can PLAY. That is a fact! Nice guy as well.

I've heard that Jeremy can play OK too... :eek::D

The LowDown Low Down... Now Bi-Coastal.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I too have met Jeremy and he's a stand up individual. We didn't get a chance to play, but we did enjoy breakfast.

I'm sure the BenLoy/Jeremy jam session was one of many brilliant notes. I'm also sure that playing J's Lull further inspired Ben to finally just do it and get one. :)

Archived