Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Victor Wooten and Carter Beauford Making Music DVD...a humbling experience!

Gruuve

Oh my gosh...here's another one of those performances (like Rush in Rio) that makes me want to go practice, but makes me unable to decide whether I should practice bass or drums. I'm sure everyone here knows who Victor Wooten is, Carter Beauford is the drummer from the Dave Matthews Band. Man, these guys really click together. I've only watched half of the DVD so far...let's just say it's a very humbling experience. I felt compelled to order the Victor Wooten "Yin And Yang" CD, which has Carter Beauford on drums, so it's on it's way. Since I play both instruments, I can't think of better combinations to listen to than great bassists and great drummers paired up...completely awesome! This is making me want to abandon rock altogether and dive heard first into something more along the lines of jazz!

Even though I've been playing drums since I was a kid and bass since college, material like this just reminds me that I've really only just begun this musical journey.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by forceman:

Which DVD are you refering to, Dave?

The title is just "Victor Wooten and Carter Beauford"...it's published by Hudson Music. I bought it from GC, but I'd imagine it's available quite a few places. So far, it's just video of these guys working on the below CD in the studio...I understand there's a live performance from Bass Day 2000 or something like that on it as well, just haven't gotten there yet.

If you go to Amazon.com and look at Wooten's "Yin-Yang" CD (here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000J8LB/102-3491419-5327304?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance), disk 1 tracks 7 and 10 are the two songs they're working on in the studio on this DVD (so far, anyway). I'm really starting to like this kind of music...I guess my metal-head tastes are broadening with old age... :D

Enjoy,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Those guys are scary good. I remember the first time I saw the Dave Matthews Band on TV, I was like glued to watching the drummer, like "Who IS this guy?" Found out later it was Carter Beauford. A couple of years ago I bought my son Carter's two-tape instructional set. Inspiring.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Gospel5theZealot:

i got that dvd as well, but i've been spending so much time catching up on practice that i haven't had a free moment to sit down and watch the dvd yet.

jason

Man, are you in for a treat when you get time to watch it!

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Ooops...I guess I should learn to read. The correct title of the DVD is "Victor Wooten and Carter Beauford - Making Music". ;)

Also, I finally got to the end of the DVD. There's a Q&A session with Victor Wooten from a clinic, and the detuned bass solo from Bass Day 2000. By detuned bass solo, I mean the deal where he plays for a while, then detunes his bass to sound like a percussion instrument, plays a "drum solo", then retunes and finishes the bass solo. Pretty cool. I wouldn't want to attempt anything like that, but he certainly pulled it off.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived