Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording In Other Places...

I recently returned from a trip to Romania. (British Airways comes highly recommended) I had the chance to experience the music and music styles there and got to thinking: "is it possible to haul some recording equipment out here and capture the essence of another culture for others to experience?". What do you think? Is it a venture worthy of our profession? Some of the traditional music has amazing promise. And this is not just for one country but for any place that captures an ear. As an end note: American music is invading Romania like a disease. Should their music invade us? surfjazz newskymusic nashua,nh

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Surfjazz, I had a band from Romania mail me a CD about a year ago and we've kept in touch on line. They play rock music in (broken) English, but I LOVE their CD. It has the right attitude and sounds like they could just knock something over any second. From what I gather the Country is very poor and not many places for a band to play. I think it would be real hard to break a band like that in the USA, but it would sure be fun to use my talents in some way to help make them the best they can be. I've been doing a little research about Romania and found out this band is from Transilvania. I told them that I was begining to suspect if they were Vampires or not !!!! But they claim they are Good Vampires !!!! Never the less it's fun to talk with these people. Tell more about the music you heard over there. What area of the Country were you in ????? Russ

• 2 weeks later...
Be glad to. I was in the Beius/Aradea area... its in the upper left corner of Romania- about 1 hr past the Hungarian border. The local music is haunting. I went to a church service in a gypsy village and one of the older ladies stood and sang the most heart stirring song I have ever heard. In the song you could almost feel and see the struggles,pain,joy and life they live. I did not have the chance to record it and I still regret it today. I went to local schools and was constantly asked about Ricky Martin and Britney Spears. It amazed me to think that all the junk we produce is impacting the lives of another culture, probably for the worst. I saw gypsy and farmer children in American clothes adorned with GAP,Old Navy,and N'sync- walking next to their parents who wore durable homemade clothes. I think that if we decide to encourage local music and talent, the beauty of this charming old world will not be lost. My email is newskymusic@musician.net if you wish to contact me on further info. I myself have a friend in Romania who I may go and record someday. joshua conti newskymusic

Archived