Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone familiar with Spock's Beard

lug

Tom I assure you that my remarks were not directed toward you (or indeed anyone else) personally. I studied literary criticism (and by extension art criticism and its history) for 8 years as a full time undergraduate and post-graduate student. It has left me with some strong opinions on this subject that long predate reading this thread.

A study of the history of criticism reveals repeating patterns including the perpetual tendency to undervalue anything that is both new and popular. The Novel, the Cinema, artists like Verdi, Puccini, Dickens etc were all dismissed as populist trash by contemporary critics. With time these artist become "respectable" and become the evidence used to decry the next wave of alleged vulgarity.

I agree we are more responsive to the music we grew up with. Nothing I hear for the rest of my life will ever matter as much to me as The Beatles. All the more reason, though that I should be aware of the danger that my evaluaton of music is going to be distorted by an accident of chronology. It *is* difficult - maybe even impossible - to to step outside our prejudices and make a fair comparison of our generation's music with the next. I doubt many people have the talent to do it and even those who do probably can't be sure of it.

I believe some humility is called for, but what I too often see is a complacent assumption that our generation was populated by heroes but the next generation have somehow got it all wrong. Scratch the surface and this almost always amounts to resentment that the young are not doing things in the old way: if they were, that would surely be the opposite of creativity.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've owned 3 Spock's albums: "V," "Snow," and "Beware of Darkness." I was a bit disappointed with the latter; not bad, but I think it was really with "V" & the subsequent "Snow" that Morse & the band really hit a serious stride. And I believe they do have something original to add to the genre.

If you do a search you'll find a few threads/posts on Spock's Beard, many of which consist of me saying that Dave Meros is just absolutely awesome.

If you want to find a new prog band that is REALLY adding an interesting new chapter to the genre, I'd have to recommend the Flower Kings (and a search on the same), a Swedish band (but all the lyrics are in English). Especially with their later-era bass & drums combo; these guys are absolutely insane. They made a DVD a couple of years ago called, IIRC, "Meet the Flower Kings," and it was stunning beyond description. They are quite original, and great enough, I think, to stand alongside bands like Yes and ELP.

Cool site Lug! It's in my "favorites" now, thanks for the FYI. :thu:

Thanks for the thread to, I've been wondering about Spock's Beard for a while. Nice to have a place to start.

You might want to check out Hamadryad, I have been looking around for their CD. I have listened to some stuff from their website and it sounds pretty darn good!

LONG LIVE PROG!! :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by basshappi:

Cool site Lug! It's in my "favorites" now, thanks for the FYI. :thu:

Thanks for the thread to, I've been wondering about Spock's Beard for a while. Nice to have a place to start.

You might want to check out Hamadryad, I have been looking around for their CD. I have listened to some stuff from their website and it sounds pretty darn good!

LONG LIVE PROG!! :D

In my favs too! Honestly, I haven't kept up or listened to much prog (except Lamb Lies Down) for quite a few years. It's nice to find a source like this but it's kinda overwelming.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by lug:

Originally posted by coyote:

Just imagine... once upon a time, prog bands were able to fill stadia. The ticket demand was so great that bands like ELP and Yes would sell out 60,000 seat venues.

Not all those attendees were musicians. The MUSIC once appealed to the masses - that it no longer does says far more about the masses than about the music, or about the musicians performing that music.

I believe I read that the median music purchasers today are 13 years old girls. I think this has more to do with the complexity of music today than anything else.
Curiously enough, at our last show (we play prog rock/metal), the front of the stage was packed with...mostly 13- to 16-year-old girls. However, I'll admit that they were probably less interested in the various strengths of our phrygian riffs versus our locrian riffs than they were in our singer's dashing good looks. But hey, they came to a prog concert, didn't they? :)

Archived