Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: It's a wonderful life, but not without thorns.

davebrownbass

This press age just keeps us TOO well informed.

We see the battle of idiology in Iraq, where everybody is killing people to support their own.

Here in Dallas, we've seen 6 people killed by wrong way drivers this month.

We see over 20,000 people killed on Christmas by an earthquake in the middle of the ocean.

My praise band leader is sending her oldest son to Iraq on New Years Day, where he will be at the tip of the spear, as a forward lookout for convoys trying to find IEDs. 19 years old.

One of my dearest students is from Indonesia, and I won't see her for over a week...what if someone she loves was taken by the storm?

We all suffer problems from our own idiologies; we all suffer from strokes of fate...

and here in this precious season, we so often waste our chance to be significant in other peoples' lives.

I look around and see jealousy and selfishness, envy and hatred and have to ask, "Is it in me?"

As Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living."

So let me encourage you all to live closer to truth and farther from yourself; warm to others and cool to your own needs.

This will make Christmas the merriest and New Years the happiest.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right on, brother Dave! :)

I've seen some of this hatred first hand. In my last semester, I've heard enough "backstabbing" against my Muslim friends. Needless to say, I didn't like any of that. I have confronted the badmouthers, but very cautiously.

I hope they get the idea that it's still a good idea to give folks a chance. If not, then they're part of the problem, too.

I certainly don't claim to be perfect, though. Just doing what I can.

That's what it's all about.

dbb, you should bump this up every Christmas Eve and maybe update the references as I'm sure each year will bring its own unique milestones. Put another way: its the beauty of the rose that makes us deal with the thorns; and if it weren't for those thorns, how would we know it was a rose?

Enjoy the miracles that happen every day!

:wave:

You have a way with words Dave. I hope your friends son comes through. I couldn't be more opposed to why we're in Iraq and think it is a terrible shame that 19 year olds are sent to do the dirty work. Sadly, the death toll from the earthquake under the Indian Ocean now numbers more than 50,000. Those people and your friends son remind me what a fortunate life I am living.

www.ethertonswitch.com

Archived