Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Bass Company

_Sweet Willie_

OK, so the ad in the January issue of BP mag caught my eye -- yup, the full-page one from The Bass Company w/ a photo of a natural wood J bass w/ wood pickguard. I have become somewhat of a sucka for wood pickguards.

Sooooo, I went to visit the advertised website to learn more (I astound even myself at times with my cleverness), and lo and behold, the website is "temporarily unavilable". Bummer.

Can anyone tell me anything about The Bass Company? You can probably guess that I will not be buying any new basses soon, but I'm curious.

Thanks.

Peace.

--SW

PS: I enjoyed the Dave Holland article and interview in the issue.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chronic construction issues.

I tend to get a bit giddy about wood pickguards also. Conklin has some fine examples. Have I ever mentioned that I reallty like the Rocco signature model?

I've seen an old J-bass stripped, stained with a transparent but slightly darker than natural stain, and accented with an burly walnut pickguard made by the owner. Schweet! Almost enough inspiration to find some nice burl and make a guard for my necked Toby... almost.

- Matt W.

Conklin does indeed do some nice wood pickguards.

Curious that they've got a full-page ad with website address in BP mag before the website is up and running. I realize it's the January issue and it's not January yet, but usually subscribers receive their issues of magazines prior to the "official" date of the issue.

Of course, it could mean that someone's website designer is looking for work for failure to deliver on time... :eek:

From the ad, it appears that we might have yet another builder making Fender-like instruments. However, we won't know for sure until we can get more info from the company.

As a point of comparison, Celinder appears to make excellent Fender-like basses (I have never played one), but they also offer less traditional lines as well. Will this be the case for TBC?

Hmmmmm, I wonder what my black 'Ray5 would be like w/ a replacement egg-shaped 'guard that's birdseye maple... nahhhhh.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I just checked the web page and it says that it is due to launch on Jan. 1, 2005. I guess we have to wait for Saturday, but the Jazz on the construction page is looking pretty schweet.

Archived