Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

(almost) Last Minute gig!!

wraub

So, I just got a call about a possible gig...Tomorrow night at 9.

It would be our first.

I think I'll say yes...

If nothing else, it beats paying for a practice place. :)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Jason, Willie, and all. :) Here's the scoop.

The show is at the Continental. Apparently, another band cancelled, the drummer in the band I play with knows the booker, who called the drummer, etc.

We have been told that, basically, all they need is bodies onstage. We are not expected to bring people out, even. It really is (almost)like going to a rehearsal with abnormally handy bar access.

If nothing else, it will hopefully engender much future good will for us at this club, filling in last minute.

The band is a three piece rock band, plain and simple. The band is called Custard Wally, allegedly because it was the stupidest thing the guitarist could think of that had no other associations. The guitarist writes the tunes, he has over a hundred songs for me to learn.

The music is fun to play, and even challenging at times. Dumb but fun.

The lyrics offer something to offend just about everyone, in the Zappa/Tubes vein, with a musical touch of Fear meets The Kinks. Really.

So, if anyone here wants to come out for a band you might not like, singing songs your girlfriend and mom will definitely hate, come on out.

I'd love to see ya.

It's Christmas, after all.

-------------CONTINENTAL is located at:

25 Third Avenue (between St. Marks Place & 9th St.)

New York, NY 10003

(212) 529-6924-------------------------------

Continental NYC web site

Peace,

wraub

So, apparently, there are at least 2 LDers willing to brave the cold, the rain, and the lyrical content (have I mentioned some of it's pretty offensive? :D ), and come on out to this.

My warning and thanks to them! :)

Looking forward to some fun...

Peace,

wraub

i got there at 8:50 and the bouncer would not let me in for anything. (i'm 6months shy of 21)

I heard you testing your stuff out, playing random notes, nothing too particular.

I'm sorry that i couldn't make it there earlier and pose as a band member. I hope it went well.

Most places that i go to are music clubs and i usually go to places where i know people in the band, so i've never had a problem getting into somewhere.

jason "well i never" atkins

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

One thing I learned before I became "legal age".

I always went to bars/nightclubs where bands played before they start charging cover. I was never carded and got to dance/listen to bands/drink all I wanted. Maybe 'cause it was a Navy Town and I was abviously in the military at the time,...

With the crackdown on underage drinking nowdays, doubt it is possible anymore.

In your case, you probably could have gotten in if you arrived early and posed as a roadie or something :)

Anyways, how did the "paid practice" go?

Inquiring minds want to know

ouch gospel. i know how that feels. an hour before midnight chimed in my 21st birthday i was barred admission from a club i had gone to to see a band. that sucked. the bouncer said "well, come back in an hour then."

but the show was entertaining. wraub was his usual laid back, professional, profoundly humbling self. the straight-ahead motorhead-meets-the tubes punkish pop rock left plenty of room for him to run around but he resisted the urge to throw in the outrageously sick s@#t i've seen him play. he remained tasteful and pulled the groove along with an eerie effortlessness.

as for the band itself, it's right in line with the "the darkness" resurgence in old-school rock, but after seeing the band i'm beginning to understand wraubs dilemma about playing with them (the one he's hinted at and/or overtly stated in previous threads). it's a really solid little band with an ass-kicking rhythm section. nothing terribly innovative but i was jealous watching the man on stage as i knew i would have a blast playing that kind of straight ahead rock with a drummer i didn't have to worry about. the music is a must see. the problem lies in the lyrics. wraub described the lyrics as vulgar to the point of being infrequently offensive. an example comes from the sing-along (the singer really wanted crowd participation here) chorus of "your t*ts." the chorus is: "your t*ts make me cry, your t*ts bring me to me knees (no typo there), your t*ts i fell down, your t*ts please love please." some in the ctrowd were bothered by that, i found it silly.

the problem with all this is it devolves a whup-ass little power trio into kind of a novelty act. definitely worth seeing, but i'm not sure what the long-term prospects are for something like that. but hey, it worked for gwar.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

thanks for the update ace.

Sounds like it would've been fun to see the looks on the faces in the crowd when the chorus for "your t*ts" came around.

Wraub was pretty straighforward when he said that the act was vulgar.

I'll be home for a good while (until february), so i look forward to checking out some other nyc lowdowners in action...i'll be sure to free up my schedule next time.

Maybe i'll have a gig to invite some people to...who knows?

peace,

wraub

*i mean

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Hey all. Here's my take on this.

Firstly, my thanks to Jason for the effort. Next time we'll coordinate better, we'll put you in the "crew".

Maury, sorry we missed you.

Ace, thanks for the write-up, you are most kind.

I remember show being fun, but too short, 30 mins is not enough. I blew part of the verse in the second song, but we ended the set strongly. I couldn't hear the guitar at all, and my vocals barely, which made me sound worse than usual. :D

I played OK.

As Ace stated, the drummer I play with is serious, a veteran of the "real East-side rock days", formerly of a NYC punk band with a minor level of notieriety in some circles. He's a lot of fun to play with.

This was our first gig, and it was actually our first "plugged-in" playing in a while. We've been spending time on vocals in acoustic rehearsals lately, and it was Gerard's first time behind a kit in 3 months. It could have been worse.

Again, Ace is right about the lyrics, and about my reservations with the band's material. Some of it is offensive, some of it is puerile and immature... But that, to some extent, is what rock and roll is all about, right? But I do still have reservations.

Either way, the music is really fun to play, the guys in the band all like and respect each other, and have a good time playing together. It's a paying gig on top of that. Not too bad.

And, we were approached by people from 2 different labels, so we shall see what happens next.

Thanks again to all.

Peace,

wraub

Originally posted by wraub:

I couldn't hear the guitar at all, and my vocals barely, which made me sound worse than usual. :D

I played OK.

the vocals overall were pretty garbled. odd considering the venerable noel generally does a kick ass job. wraub's backing was barely audible (but on key, don't worry) and the singer was audible but incomprehensible. wraub can shed more light on wether that was par for the course.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Originally posted by Ace Cracker:

Originally posted by wraub:

I couldn't hear the guitar at all, and my vocals barely, which made me sound worse than usual. :D

I played OK.

the vocals overall were pretty garbled. odd considering the venerable noel generally does a kick ass job. wraub's backing was barely audible (but on key, don't worry) and the singer was audible but incomprehensible. wraub can shed more light on wether that was par for the course.
Yeah, Noel is usually right on it, but oh well.

The singer in the band is a pretty good vocalist, usually quite comprehensible (as he's aware of the need for clarity to aid understanding his cleverness), and he knows the songs in and out. Some of them he's been playing for years... It may just have been a rushed night for everyone.

Again, I keep coming back to Ace's comments regarding the material as being right on the money, and I am contemplating an additional band, as well as my own project, just for variety.

But this one has some definite short-term potential for fun and profit.

Long-term... Well, it's the guitarist/singer's material, so any deals or contracts are his alone.

With that understanding is the agreement that all out of pocket costs are his as well. I am out little but time, and from the start, it's been a paying gig for a friend.

I do wish the lyrics were better, but the same was true of the last singer-songwriter I worked with...

Peace,

wraub

Archived