Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

UNintentional schecter vs. ibanez atk midpriced shootout

musicfiend

Hey guys.

Well ive been off helping bass brethren. Me and my friend who is just starting to play bass went out to our local gc to check their bass selection with the ntention of leaving with his first bass!

Well teh day before i checked out their stuff with a friend that wanted to go and i narrowed down the choices(ha) to a schecter model and an ibanez atk.

THe ibanez had a lovely burl maple(?) top and versatile elctronics. The tricoil pickup could go from a warm tone with bas boosted mid slightly cut and treble flat to midpunch with the mids boosted bass rolled slightly off and treble slightly boosted. I felt the bridge design and pickup placement were great and i enjoyed the wide thin neck spacing. However, itwas used,the toggle wasnt working, and their ere a few big dings. Also the body, whilst not being huge, was uncomfortable for my bud. Also the preamp was weakly voiced and i heard alot of buzz and hum coming from the bass, especially when thumbing/popping or just hitting that there low e.

The schecter was eminently playable the neck was thin both lengthwise and from front to back, yet still retained enough mass to encourage those "vintage" players. The smooth oil finish on body and neck was awesome along with the great and versatile emghz pups and simple knob layout. The combo of mahogany and flame maple for the body wqas killer. And the neck through maple/rosewood neck was great with its roewood fretboard and stringers. The hardware seemed kinda cheap, but the playabilty, versatility, feel, and cutting tone were great. The bass was strung with elixers and strung with LOW action so it was bright but amazingly playable.

HE DECIDED on the schecter as did I, the bass was more playable and had a very nice tone. Both basses had great tone even though the schecter was modern and the atk being a more vintagey tone. The atk also looked better, but we made the right choice.

SO we walked out with the bass strung with these new elixers and a nicely padded gig bag and big smiles for 400 dollars.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NO joke, when we went in the saleperson told us she couldnt knowck down the fivehundred dollar listed price, saying that it was christmas and the prices were already down. Now i knwo she works off of commision and was protecting herself, but this was a blatant lie. So, luckily i run into the bass player of a local band that weve played countless shows with. This guy bought an ampeg 610 for 400, a fender jaz for 50, emg j pickups for 90, and a mesa triple rectifier for 800. I always wondered how, i found out. He went to his regular salesguy and says the following.

This salesperson we dealt with is full of s*%t, you guys can take it down. If i could buy a warwick for 1000 dollars you can sell me an import schecter for 350, what is this. Im not your average joe here, me and my buddy here are YOUR regular customers.

Following the list of everything me and him have bought from GC, and also this certain salesperson he says.

Ill take care of you

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

stilleto custom 4 in natural - musicfiend
Wow! I was just shopping the 5 and really liked what it had to offer for the $$. Nice choice.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Your bargaining got you a very nice bass for approximately dealer wholesale price. They made almost nothing on your purchase.

Continue to patronize this store!

Well i would feel somewhat disheartened about this fact, but i figure that if I make five purchases in which the commision is 50 dollars, it would be the same as this salesman making a 250 commision from an average joe. I believe he sees this too, which is why i will keep making my purchases directly related to this specific salesperson.

Archived