Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

V Bass - fitting the pick up - how?

bc_dup1

I've got my V Bass now (but have yet to connect it up and hear it). All the *important* stuff seems to be there, but most of the low tech bits and bobs needed to attach the pickup and controller are missing (not surprisingly, I guess, since most of it may only be useable once). So no Controller Spacer, Pickup Cushion, Pickup Spacer, Velcro, Double Sided Tape etc.

I don't want to start screwing things into my bass at this stage.

Anyone else faced the problem of mounting the pickup and controller without the stuff Roland supplies and if so how did you solve it?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there is a double sided tape made by Scotch Tape, i believe- available at your supermarket. It is EXACTLY the right width for the pickup. You can also cut small squres to hold your controller say in corners. I do not suggest you use a lot of the tape for the controller since it can be hard to remove. If you need spacers, you can always use 2 layers of the tape, It actually works better for me than the Roland stuff... GOOD LUCK!!

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Thanks. I'm not sure if exactly the same product will be available in the UK but I'm sure I can find something reasonably similar. It's useful to know double sided tape is all I really need.

I'm surprised at how "low tech" a solution this is for such a high tech piece of equipment.

:thu: LOL, thanks but it'd cost more to mail it than the tape is worth!! I got my hands on some double sided tape yesterday and started working on it but it's a tricky job and by the time I'd finished the B string still wasn't being picked up by the pickup. I will revisit that tonight. Finding a place I'm happy putting the controller on a Yamaha Nathan East isn't easy either.

I can see that if I fall in love with this V Bass I'll have to give serious consideration to buying a cheaper bass so that I don't mind screwing on the pickup. Or one of the dedicated basses with the pickup built in. I envy you folks on that side of the pond for the availability of Carvin basses at such low prices, one of those would be ideal. The cheaper Yamahas are probably the closest things available here.

that's the whole point of the tape- not to have to screw into the bass, bc.

on my lakland, i have the controller BEHIND the bass- so all you see is a pickup. i really do not use the controller at all- i programmed my sounds to mix in with the expression pedal. so i dont have to fidget with the controller at all-

on my upcoming nordstrand and eventually on my upcoming F bass- i will use a triggering system wired into the bridge saddles.

in my opinion, i think the beauty if the V bass is that you can use it with your favorite basses... no need for screws, man

and tnb -

you know, bro-- gotta spread the love! - ;)

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

on my lakland, i have the controller BEHIND the bass- so all you see is a pickup.
That's a genius idea and one I will be shamelessly copying. I just don't like it on the front of my bass.

I can see the attraction of screws in terms of permanence and adjustability. The V-Bass may just be a 9 day wonder for me, so I'll use the tape just now. If I decide it's a keeper the idea of screwing it on to a cheaper bass may appeal more. Having it fitted into the electronics of the bass, better still.

Archived