Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ben Loy?

BigKahuna855

what exactly is a Ben Loy bass? is it a real company or model, or is it a reference to Benloy from the lowdown, or is it something else altogether?

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Black Jazz Fender bass with a BadAssII bridge, white pickguard and an ultrathin neck.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

this is a great thread. I was there when that bass was christened "the ben loy bass". I was there. :cry:

Please excuse me. Reminiscing always makes me emotional.

christening thread

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

My new (previously owned) BenLoy makes it's public debut tomorrow night:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TAAAANAXRqbmj28PK7yP4KWqRObABeHkD7r2qRKjrCfSfj2iBKZivzH3IN55GlnAsIC79YEupaCpogzdJQAiyJHuHsJydYIei3VP*t1J7cujfexsnkO7sQ/GeddyLee.jpg

But, as Dr. Sweets points out:

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

And somewhere out there is a sad, jilted anniversary model StingRay. A shame, really.

Peace.

--SW

My BenLoy is also replacing (sorta) a nice old 'Ray':

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TAD1AjMWyjfOU14d1ogreNEZd9!6AjSgo8arvL1jJw2Kj7u8RNo5m4avHfg6bHaCII5vr9dHYWmzCd6SH6UdkR8h7PeRa6xo2tIX2bCgDfXxl4EjynWptg/AAAA0002.JPG

My excuse: the salt air and number of outdoor gigs was causing excessive degradation to the metallic bits on my '78 Ray.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!!

;)

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Originally posted by Nicklab:

Okay, so what does all of this make this instrument? :rolleyes:

I think that's just a BenLoy copy, isn't it? Of course, it's been modded. :P (Just kidding - great looking bass there! :D )

Here's the BenLoy with LizzyD pickguard/knob mod:

http://www.lizzydaymont.com/images/jazz/Fender_Jazz_sm.jpg

Further LizzyD mods include a Hipshot D tuner, straplocks and de-glossed neck. A push/pull series mod is next on the bill. :cool:

Originally posted by BigKahuna855:

what exactly is a Ben Loy bass? is it a real company or model, or is it a reference to Benloy from the lowdown, or is it something else altogether?

The BenLoy bass is very real because most of us believe it so. Though the music industry will disavow any knowledge of its existence, those of us recall the sad day when Fender attempted to pawn one off as a "Geddy Lee" signature model, to the extent of a massive ad campaign and an improvised Rush tour featuring a Geddy-Lee lookalike playing said signature bass. (later videos have been released showing a red "Geddy Lee" model, which is a bold attempt for the instigators to remove all evidence of their crimes or face retribution by loyal Rush fans.)

Because a number of us loyal to the BenLoy name are not standing still for this, we are waging a global internet campaign to dissuade all rumors and lies surrounding this plot (we believe Fender is only the front for this hypocrisy, there are others who choose to remain behind the scene who are the real architects of this deception) and to give BenLoy the honor and credit (and the royalties) due him for the invention of this instrument.

One must recall the 70s Gibson campaign for the "Ripper" bass as verification that the industry is not above plagarism in its attempt to dominate the consumer marketplace. In fact, the Ripper bass is a design rejected by Jack Bruce himself when Gibson originally approached him to build a "signature" model and then attempted to pawn the Ripper as a Bruce-inspired design to replace the now-venerated EB-3. Too many artists are having their good names taken without compensation and having them plastered on hastily-manufactured hunks of wood and plastic in the name of the almighty dollar.

We must remain united in this effort to preserve the integrity of our fellow Forumites!

:thu:

Originally posted by LizzyD:

Here's the BenLoy with LizzyD pickguard/knob mod:

http://www.lizzydaymont.com/images/jazz/Fender_Jazz_sm.jpg

Further LizzyD mods include a Hipshot D tuner, straplocks and de-glossed neck. A push/pull series mod is next on the bill. :cool:

As I mentioned in the original BenLoy signature thread, I think the LizzyD mods take it to the next level. My intention was to replicate the BL/LD version when I was attempting to procure a stock version. It rules!

"For instance" is not proof.

Archived