Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting a bass across the ocean

dcr

...and boy, are his fins TIRED!

I've just accepted a job across the Pacific Ocean (in Australia, specifically), and I want to take my 4 basses. I like them, and besides, replacing them would be very expensive, as prices even on the used market are considerably higher there. So here's my question.

Would it be a good idea to pack them very, very well & have them moved along with the other household boxes, & shipped to Australia? If that would be a bad idea, would it be better to send them by a parcel carrier (e.g. FedEx)?

Sorry if this has been covered already--I did a search & found lots of good info on packing, taking a bass on a plane, etc., but nothing on the implications of putting a bass in a moving compartment in the hold of a ship crossing the Pacific. Thanks!

(PS If it matters, these are all solid-body instruments, one neck-through & the others bolt-ons.)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, it's a good thing you didn't buy an Alembic. You would then have 5 basses to get across the ocean.

B. It's like the beginning of a bad joke:

A Yamaha, a BenLoy J bass, a Sterling fretless, a Rick and a philosopher get on a boat to cross the Pacific Ocean. The Rick turns to the Sterling and says...

3. Congratulations on the job! Good luck with the move!

Fourth, you know they play lots of rugby in Australia, right?

I don't know what to tell you about basses in the cargo hold. It seems to me they'd potentially go thru climate changes (humidity, temperature), but that can happen driving across the USA.

Maybe get the pricing to ship them thru a regular parcel carrier. If it's not crayzee expensive, it's a viable option. You also don't have to send them all the same way.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

You should find out about some of the particular gear (the easy to ship kind: effects, cabs, etc) that is ludicrously expensive over there, buy it with the intention of selling it overseas. Might make a few dollars and help out some poor Australian bass player looking for something in particular.

I can't see any problem with packing them in a box with all your household goods.

If I were shipping basses (which I've done), I'd put some extra stuff in the case to keep the bass from moving around. Then I'd put the case in a cardboard box. I might tune the strings down a step or I might not.

When I flew to Australia for a gig once, I had my bass in a flight case. I left it tuned to pitch and when I was delivered from the various airports and limos to the stage, the bass was still in tune.

If you are paying for a cargo container, you might as well put the basses in it. The extra fedex or ups fees for shipping the basses separately will cost you a lot.

You might want to ship one bass by air because the cargo ship is going to take a few weeks.

Somehow I think that having everything in a cargo container on a ship means that the basses are less likely to be tossed across the room than if they were given to a carrier who picked them up by truck and drove them to the airport where they were loaded on a plane. It seems to me that would guarantee that they would be dropped at least three times.

Good luck on your new job!

Your US money will be worth more.

But any manufactured goods cost way more down under. Have you priced a car in Australia?

Maybe you should buy a lot more US made gear before you leave.

Congrats D on the new gig! That is a big move to be sure, but I hear Australia is a lot like Kansas, just with a beach. :)

Shipping is what I do for a living. It's a meager living, but that's not important right now.

IMO, you should pack your basses accordingly, and include them in the cargo container you rent, if you do so. As suggested, I'd ship one or check it on the plane with me, so I had a bass until the others arrive. Jeremy is right that shipping will take a while, and right again about the basses riding in cargo probably resulting in a kinder ride.

I ship FedEx and UPS daily, if you think I can offer any help, please let me know.

And, definitely buy some stuff you can throw in that cargo container with an eye towards re-sale there.

Any of our Aussie members have any particular wants?

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Thanks for all the advice! This, and your collective role in my GAS co-dependence, is why I keep coming back. ;) Seriously, this information is hugely helpful. And relieving!

Originally posted by jeremy c:

If you are paying for a cargo container, you might as well put the basses in it. The extra fedex or ups fees for shipping the basses separately will cost you a lot.

My thought exactly.

Best of luck to you. Read Bill Bryson's A Far-Off Country. Everything in Australia is deadly (except our forum-mates).

Shipping? Haven't a clue.

Let's get our collective inspirational abilities together and finish Willie's joke:

A Yamaha, a BenLoy J bass, a Sterling fretless, a Rick and a philosopher get on a boat to cross the Pacific Ocean. The Rick turns to the Sterling and says

"Gee, this trip is gonna be hell"

The Sterling isn't listening too well, and only hears the first and last word. Immediately, it's pickguard starts to glow, and it jumps the BenLoy jazz bass. Three weeks later, the Sterling gives birth. The Yamaha is incensed at the inter-racial result. The philosopher is debating the ethics of mating basses, the loss of control over his "companions" (he is a teacher, and seeks to retain a level of working chaos), and yet feels pride at gaining another fine instrument. To make sure the others know that the new bass is welcome, he pays it.

Tribute.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

When are you coming down? I have friends in Melbourne that we visit every couple of years, we could have the first Lowdowners convention in Oz, I know a bloke with a really cool helmet that's connected to a drill... (nice article lug)

Checking out ebay, pickups go quickly. EMG, Duncans, Dimarzio, preamps. Anything with the word fender on it. Eg. Dimarzio jazz p'ups go for over $250AUD here but cost less than $120USD.

I've been eyeing off a new Allparts jazz neck and a bartolini preamp...

And yes Willie we play lots of rugby. Unfortunately DCR is moving to a very insular city when it comes to football codes. Aussie rules is a religion down there. Great game to watch live, especially at the MCG (Melbourne cricket ground).

And then there's cricket...

It'd be well worth shipping some in-demand bass and guitar gear whilst you're moving your life to the far side of the world. There's potential for a whole heap of profit whilst making lots of Aussie musicians very happy! Have you seen the price of gear down there?

And the potential for profit is further enhanced by the miserable state of the USD - buy goods in USD and sell in AUD and you'll come out much better than just converting any savings between the two.

Alex

Archived