Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What DVD's to put on my Christmas List??

SteveC

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Majikat, the Cat Stevens video. A nice document of who he used to be.

A Mighty Wind. A Must Have.

You'll want to build a library of flicks that you and Robin can sit down and watch. How about:

Being There, Peter Sellers.

Shadowlands, the story of CS Lewis and his late in life wedding.

Groundhog Day, Bill Murray

Planes, Trains, Automobiles, John Candy and Steve Martin.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Rush in Rio - Excellent live offering from Rush.

Rising Low - the hippie ramblings of Mike Gordon get old and/or are humorous when they aren't supposed to be. Everything else is great about this DVD.

Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won - 2 discs of live Led Zep love. This is a great collection of material.

Classic Albums - Dark Side of the Moon - cool documentary about the making of said album.

Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live - One of the best live albums ever. Scary-good band, excellent song selection, Paula Cole is an excellent counterpart to Gabriel's voice. This thing is amazing. I am told that the latest DVD offering Growing Up is also very good; I have not seen it.

Of course, you can never go wrong with this .

Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live - One of the best live albums ever. Scary-good band, excellent song selection, Paula Cole is an excellent counterpart to Gabriel's voice. This thing is amazing. I am told that the latest DVD offering Growing Up is also very good; I have not seen it
Here, here Bump. This concert was listed in my "What's in your DVD player" thread. Tony rules and Paula, well . . .incredible.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Jethro Tull - Living With the Past :thu::thu:

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Live at The Quick

Gov't Mule - The Deepest End (CD with DVD)

Star Wars - Original Trilogy

Lord of the Rings - Extended Edition Trilogy

Enjoy!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

On my list (probably wait until the January sales):

Music: "The Concert for George" (Harrison), just recently broadcast on most PBS-TV stations last weekend.

Horror-comedy: "Killer Klowns from Outer Space". (actually just got that one over the weekend for $15 at Blockbuster's).

Sci-Fi: "The Complete Matrix".

Fantasy: "LOTR" (the original DVD releases without the extra "collectors edition" stuff)

Comedy: "Spaceballs" or any of the Monty Python movies. About $15 at Target.

TV: "The Prisoner" (complete series). Told that the best price for this is at Costco stores.

New classics: films by veteran actors such as Kevin Spacey ("Usual Suspects", "Pay It Forward"), Jack Nicholson ("The Shining", "As Good As It Gets") and Tom Cruise ("Last Samurai", "Jerry Mac Guire" and "Minority Report").

If you want good deals on pre-viewed DVDs or non-"collector's items" sets, eBay comes up with some good prices and some reputable sellers. (caveat emptor) But I'm seeing a lot of $15-20 DVDs as the rule at most retail outlets.

Another gift idea: an initial (prepaid) subscription for the first month or two to Netflix.

:thu:

The Jaco instructional video: If its on Disc.

Yesshows: From the 1977-78 tour

any King Crimson : Neil Jack and Me

Pink Floyd in Pompeii (the Director's Cut)

Frank Zappa: You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore; Baby Snakes, Dub Room Special

ELP: Masters From the Vault

Led Zep: The DVD

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Classic Albums - Dark Side of the Moon - cool documentary about the making of said album.

So I rushed right out and bought this.

I must say, this is incredible. Utterly incredible.

You hear ALL FOUR Floyd tell the story. You see each of them perform significant parts. You go to the mixing desk with the original masters and hear this stack up.

On of the most educational, beautiful musical experiences ever.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I'll second a couple that have been mentioned:

Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

Bela Flek & the Flecktones, Live at the Quick.

My wife and I were out a couple weeks ago and she insisted on getting the new Princess Diaries gag-a-minute chick movie. I countered by getting Standing In the Shadows...

Sweet revenge. :thu:

- Matt W.

Archived