Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

An Epiphanous Revelation

Edendude

Some of you have probably read a post or two from me about my band's drummer being a top-notch player, but having volume control issues.

At our gig at the G-Spot this weekend, all that changed in a big way!

After seeing me enjoying the 'small is beautiful' pleasures of my new Eden D210MBX cab, our drummer decided he was going to order one of those 'Taye Go-Kits', which are becoming very popular with gigging drummers whom are sick and tired of dragging around a van load of kit to every gig. But the real pay off for us all, was how this little kit has effected our drumer's ability to control volume, and the overall sound of our band. It's almost as if the kit functions the way a really high-quality compressor does on recorded vocals. He can really lay into them for feel, but they never start to over-power our stage volume, as was always the case with his big full-size Mapex kit.

Anyhow...The point is...

If you play with a drummer who has these same kind of volume issues, I highly recommend you turn them on to one of these Taye Go-Kits. The quality of the shells and hardware is very high, and the tonal qualities are first rate. Plus the whole kit breaks down to about as much gear to carry as a 2x10 cab, a head, and a guitar case.

But best of all...

There is the potential for a DRAMATIC reduction in stage volume, if your drummer plays on one of these kits.

http://www.tayedrum.com/GoKit/GK518F-AH-icon.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, that looks pretty cool. I've got a huge double-kick set of Premier Projectors sitting in cases in my attic. I don't intend to sell it, but I don't see using it again anytime soon.

IF I ever ended up playing drums live, this is probably the type of kit I'd go for (or something that is small and compact). It has to have good sound though (which you seem to feel this one does)...running crappy sounding drums through a PA just yields amplified crappy sounding drums... :freak: Electronic drums have some really nice features about them (that's what we use in church...the ultimate in on-stage volume control), but good acoustic sets (with good drummers) still sound better and play better.

I tend to play drums with considerable intensity, so volume control was always an issue in my days as a gigging drummer (plus the Premiers are big deep birch shells...they are quite LOUD! Even playing them quietly is still loud...)

Cool...you should post this on the drum forum...

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I can see how it could be a really good thing in some cases to have a kit that "compresses" its own volume level, so to speak. However, I was out recently to hear a band playing outdoors at a restaurant (so outdoors, but a fairly intimate venue), and the drummer, using one of these kits, was if anything too quiet. I'm not sure if the moral of that story is that they won't work everywhere you might've thought they should, or just that some players might have to compensate for the kit's tendency to "compress" itself. Anyway, do with that what you will.

I'm glad to hear that there's a good quality kit that is useful & also very easy to carry.

Yeah...It's kinda funny...

With my new Eden D210MBX cab and the drummer's new 'child-kit' (as I like to refer to it to wind him up) we don't have a whole lot of gear back in the rhythm section. He counters by calling my new compact bass rig the 'transistor radio'.

But more about the kit...

Our drummer has fabulous ears for tuning his drums properly, and I'm sure this is part of the reason this little Taye kit sounds so great. Naturally the shells and hardware are top-notch too, or there's no way they would sound so good.

It was unanamous among all the band members that the little kit not only works better dynamically, but it actually sounds tonally better than most kits any of us have heard. It's kind of spooky.

The kick drum doesn't sound that great when not miced, but it seems to sound amazing when it is miced. I mean better than a normal kick drum! They must have designed it specifically to be miced. It has a solid cutting thump without any boominess or ringing to contend with, and that's with the EQ flat on the board.

I can see these kits taking off bigtime. It's a rare thing when something new works so well. The whole band left the stage saying that the kit makes us sound like a much better band.

And, yes I did post about them in the Drum Talk forum, too. I must go see what kind of a flame-up I'm getting over there for challenging the status quo.

:D

One of my regular drummers put together a similar kit using an 18" floor tom he converted to a bass drum. (he said the hardware was easy to adapt) He carries AKG mics for that kit but he's often used it unamplified for coffee-house settings.

Yamaha also introduced an interesting bass drum (primarily for recording use) using an open front shell and a passive speaker as a driver; IIRC, that was a modified tom-tom shell as well. I can't find the link at the moment, but the press release came out in 2004, if that helps.

:wave:

I played "Chicago" last summer for a local theatre company. The drummer used a smaller kit. Not quite as small as this, and I can't remember the dimensions, but a smaller than normal kit.

It sounded fantastic. He's a great player (instructor/prof at the local University) and had that thing sounding great - but at a volume more appropriate for the singers.

Is there enough down-sizing in bass rigs and now drum kits to say it's a trend? I hope so. Lower stage volumes, easier on everyones back, more intimate look on stage, less overall stuff to haul, could be a good thing....

Archived