Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Saw Karl Denson's Tiny Universe tonight - awesome!

Gruuve

The company sponsoring the conference I'm at had a party for the attendees tonight. I watched a few minutes of Tear for Fears (candidates for "Where are they now?"), decided they sucked (my opinion from when they were popular also...sorry no offense, but that's my opinion), and wandered into another area where this jazz/funk 6-piece group was playing. Drums, bass, guitar, keys, trumpet, sax, and vocals...they were frickin' awesome! I have no idea if the songs they were playing were originals or covers, but I'm going to see if these guys have a CD for sale. My tastes seem to be changing as I get older... :eek:

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yes, these guys are defitely the real deal. I imagine they threw a few covers in there, but I know that most of their material is original. Being a sax player myself, I worship Karl Denson. He's where it's at for modern funk. He also used to play with the Greyboy Allstars, which is/was another amazingly funky alliance.

And I happen to like Tears For Fears, too. What exactly was this conference for? That's a pretty respectable line-up of bands!

All your bass are belong to us!

Dave, you had Karl Denson at your convention?

Why didn't you say so? I would have driven into the city to hear him....I'm sure you could have got me a guest pass into the convention. ;)

Karl Denson's Tiny Universe is a great band. I guess their category is jam band/retro funk band/acid jazz. Who cares what the category is, they smoke!

Archived