Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good issue of BP

ChrisOfDoom

This last issue of Bass Player was pretty sweet. Escpecially the article on Jeremy's boy Matt Freeman. Although the transcription of Maxwell Murder scares me, alot. half note = 162 BPM. This may take some practice...

Sweet information on about a million sets of strings, and a chat with some of the best Bass builders out there. I give mad props to BP for this issue.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking of getting it when I was picking up my cab mic at GC (loan). Geez...thanks but, the mic was the priority. I scanned through BP while waiting ($ thing), and finally a decent one!

Peace.

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

I'm a recent subscriber and I tend to enjoy it.

This was one of the better issues but I really enjoyed the issue with The Pixies and Interpol both getting a bit of press.

The string article was very helpful.

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

It seems each issue gets thinner and thinner. It's not just BP but most magazines in general. The price never gets any lighter though.

If it is shrinking it's probably due to the wonders of the free information out on t'interweb. No-one wants to pay for something if they can get it free. And if circulation drops, so will advertising revenue, usually in the shape of fewer ads.

Originally posted by Santa Critic:

... and the number of ads don't seem to get any less.

On most magazines the ads are what make the money - the price we pay usually covers printing, binding, distribution and little else. The ratio of ads to editorial tends to be weighted in favour of advertising in most magazines whilst BP is closer to a 50:50 split.

I think with any 'educational' magazine like this, one eventually gets more and more dissatisfied with it because one has grown beyond the magazine's intended audience. You have gleaned masses of information from the first few magazines you read but now you take the information for granted because you already know it. Not their fault though - if anything it suggests they've done a good job and imparted the right information.

Alex

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

It seems each issue gets thinner and thinner. It's not just BP but most magazines in general. The price never gets any lighter though.

If it is shrinking it's probably due to the wonders of the free information out on t'interweb. No-one wants to pay for something if they can get it free. And if circulation drops, so will advertising revenue, usually in the shape of fewer ads.

Originally posted by Santa Critic:

... and the number of ads don't seem to get any less.

On most magazines the ads are what make the money - the price we pay usually covers printing, binding, distribution and little else. The ratio of ads to editorial tends to be weighted in favour of advertising in most magazines whilst BP is closer to a 50:50 split.

I think with any 'educational' magazine like this, one eventually gets more and more dissatisfied with it because one has grown beyond the magazine's intended audience. You have gleaned masses of information from the first few magazines you read but now you take the information for granted because you already know it. Not their fault though - if anything it suggests they've done a good job and imparted the right information.

Alex

Magazines are like a lot of other things these days. The price may stay the same but the content is reduced. Remember when you would get 1lb of coffee in a can. Now it's only 10-13 ozs.

I like (most of) the ads. Including the indirect ones in the new product areas. If you want a hilarious ad to content ratio look at a fashion magazine. They're the ones with real guts charging $4.95 for a stack of ads.

The string artical was good and informative.. Unfortunatley they didn't cover my strings. You can't expect them to do them all, keeping with a standard guage range was appropriate.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

What Jeremy said... I occasionally read BP if I spot something that addresses something I'm working with at the moment.

I was away from the music business for a few years while everything was going digital. Imagine my surprise when I got back in. That's hard to take for a know-it-all, gig hardened, old warhorse like me. The thing that brought me up to speed or at least got me pointed in the right direction was getting on the list for MF and American Musical. I would read them from cover to cover, take notes and visit a bunch of websites starting with Harmony Central.

Now I know just enough to be dangerous.

L Tucker

Nice, nice, very nice.

So many people in the same device.

Archived