Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Badass 2 key

Varispeed

I need assist young Phoney McRing Ring in raising the action on his Marcus Miller Jazz. Where do you get an allen key small enough?? Do Fender do one? Be kind. Remember your dealing with an ageing drummer!
I would be apathetic but I just can't be bothered.....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, don't you get "Home Improvement" with Tim Allen on TV over there? How about "King of the Hill" with good ol' boy Hank Hill? Bob Villa? You'd know all us crazy Americans hang out at Home Depot, Sears and greasy garages when we're not drinking at the bar. It's in our genes... excuse me, jeans.

:D

Seriously, get two sets: inches and metric. They're indispensable. And stay away from the shiny cheap ones, they strip too easy.

Thank you people. We do indeed have hardware stores. We have even seen Tim Allen (any relation?)in his godawful 'comedy'. My concern is that, given the total lack of suitable keys at Fender dealers ("the one for the jazz fits" - "Oh no it doesn't!"), a hardware store might struggle to stock one this small. However, I'll drag it in and find out!

Hope all you bass pluckers have a fine festive season!!

I would be apathetic but I just can't be bothered.....

Originally posted by Varispeed:

Thank you people. We do indeed have hardware stores. We have even seen Tim Allen (any relation?)in his godawful 'comedy'. My concern is that, given the total lack of suitable keys at Fender dealers ("the one for the jazz fits" - "Oh no it doesn't!"), a hardware store might struggle to stock one this small. However, I'll drag it in and find out!

Hope all you bass pluckers have a fine festive season!!

Trust me, any halfway decent hardware store will have every size you can concieve of. Good luck with your project and happy holidays.

Having various sets of allen keys at your disposal is not a bad thing at all. There are numerous items on your instrument that may use them, including bridge saddle, neck angle adjustments, knob fasters, etc. Having a metric and an english set will probably serve some purpose for you at some point.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Ok i just saw this thread and the old man is indeed correct, i have a decent set of Allen keys but the smallest of those does'nt fit. Yeah we'll haul it into Homebase or B&Q or something and find one, i hate those places.

Only 17 days left till Chrimbo my fellow bass brothers i hope everyone has a good'un

Much Love :thu:

Dave

"I am just an instrument cos the lord is playing this funk"-T.M Stevens

Varispeed: hope you weren't offended, it wasn't directed to you; it was more of a tease on how Americans are viewed overseas. I vaguely remember a CNN report a couple of years back that blamed "Dallas" for the 9-11 attack on the WTC because terrorists believed all Americans were like the ones on that show.

Anyway, I don't go to music stores for tools because the average kid at the counter wouldn't know an Allen wrench ( :D hope there's no relation) from a plumber's wrench. One of life's cool things to do is getting a tool box and outfitting it with all sorts of things to use around the house or in your car. And it's not just a guy thing, either, but Americans seem to love their tools. If I'm not mistaken, tool collectors have their own GAS to deal with.

- from one of the "old men" on this forum :D

Do Fender do one? Be kind. Remember your dealing with an ageing drummer!
it shows :rolleyes:;)

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

In addition to having both metric and SAE allen wrenches, having a decent tool kit in my gig bag is indispensible. I carry several screwdrivers, a couple of adjustable wrenches, butane soldering iron, multi-meter, pliers, wire cutter/stripper, swiss army knife, and a BIG roll of duct tape. Duct tape fixes everything.... :D

Archived